Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus vs India, 2nd Test, Sydney, 2-6 Jan (I)

+38
filosofee
Basil
holcs
WideWally
doctorspin
Henry Nolonga
Paul Keating
SG
chris j.
The Don99
Leo
ojitarian
peterg
Red
Mick Sawyer
Zat
HH_pink
horace
leg glancer
Blackadder_
Nath
ten years after
Aathma
JKLever
Invader Zim
Fred Nerk
taipan
tac
skully
JGK
Henry
The One
*Buckaroo*
doremi
lardbucket
drunk as a monk
please don't yell
furriner
42 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Aus vs India, 2nd Test, Sydney, 2-6 Jan (I) - Page 2 Empty Re: Aus vs India, 2nd Test, Sydney, 2-6 Jan (I)

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 29 Dec 2007, 07:52

please don't yell wrote:I actually think they will play the same team.

Dravid will not open, that's for sure.

Sehwag will come in.

But this 2 seam attack isn't going to put pressure on the aussies. And tis going to injure the two quite fast.

I mean there is a reason why Australia, Pakistan and every other team goes in with 3 seamers.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Aus vs India, 2nd Test, Sydney, 2-6 Jan (I) - Page 2 Empty Re: Aus vs India, 2nd Test, Sydney, 2-6 Jan (I)

Post by Henry Sat 29 Dec 2007, 07:54

Jaffer also played a poor shot to get out early on in the practice game. Yuvraj on the other hand, got to face about 5 balls before the rain came down.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 29 Dec 2007, 07:55

Well BCCI contributes in no small way in destroying Indian cricket.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Sat 29 Dec 2007, 07:57

It would be strange to play 2 spinners at the mcg but one at the scg and to not play sehwag in the warm up but then axe dravid as an opener for him after 1 game.

Back to back tests are tricky things, in the back of their minds selectors are really picking the team for the first two matches and hoping they got it right, it would be very tough for sehwag to open at the scg with no cricket behind him at all.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sat 29 Dec 2007, 08:16

BTW, Warnie is a legend.

doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 29 Dec 2007, 08:46

please don't yell wrote:It would be strange to play 2 spinners at the mcg but one at the scg and to not play sehwag in the warm up but then axe dravid as an opener for him after 1 game.

Back to back tests are tricky things, in the back of their minds selectors are really picking the team for the first two matches and hoping they got it right, it would be very tough for sehwag to open at the scg with no cricket behind him at all.

Well Sehwag was selected as an opener. And if Sehwag doesn't play in the first two tests, then it could be too late in the 3rd and 4th test for him to have any influence on the proceedings.

If they are going to take a risk with Sehwag they may well do it in the 2nd test.

Sometimes it happens that the tour selection team doesn't completely see eye-to-eye with the main selectors.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 29 Dec 2007, 09:03

When you lose by 337 runs it isn't the fault of the wicketkeeper. Dhoni is safe.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 29 Dec 2007, 09:18

While I think it is very unlikely that Dravid will be dropped, keeping him in the side on current form is playing into Australia's hands. He is so out of sorts that he can barely get it off the square. This just puts too much pressure on the man at the other end to move the scoring along. I almost felt sorry for Dravid as he scratched and poked around like an old chook for so long in both innings for less than 20 runs total.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Sat 29 Dec 2007, 09:36

It's a big call to drop him though, he's 35 in a few weeks so if he's dropped here it would end his career.

Still if you play into your mid 30's more than likely it's not going to end the way you want it to.

fairytale endings like last year at the scg are rare indeed.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 29 Dec 2007, 10:00

India would be basically throwing in the towel if they made any changes to the team.

It would be admitting that their supposedly best team is not up to it.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 29 Dec 2007, 10:12

Dravid is one of the titans of the game - it would be madness to drop him.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 29 Dec 2007, 10:12

JGK wrote:Dravid is one of the titans of the game - it would be madness to drop him.

So was Pollock
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sat 29 Dec 2007, 10:22

For all the improvement we may expect to see from various Indian players in the rest of the series, it must be remembered that a couple of handy Oz players didn't exactly slay them in the MCG aisles.

When was the last time that in two innings each Ponting and Hussey made 45 runs between them?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8822
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 29 Dec 2007, 10:47

Fred Nerk wrote:For all the improvement we may expect to see from various Indian players in the rest of the series, it must be remembered that a couple of handy Oz players didn't exactly slay them in the MCG aisles.

When was the last time that in two innings each Ponting and Hussey made 45 runs between them?

One of the great things about the current Aust side is that almost everyone contributes. Last years Ashes was a great case in point - the bowlers all took about the same number of wickets over the series and each of the top 7 got tons at some stage.

It was good captaincy by Ponting to let Hoggyyyy!!!! and Midge clean up the tail today - it has give both a bit of confidence for Sydney.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 29 Dec 2007, 10:50

tac wrote:India would be basically throwing in the towel if they made any changes to the team.

bull s****

Going in with the same combination would be handing over series to Australia on a platter. Especially the opening combo

& Dravid is not going to be dropped. I wonder who is spreading this carp around ?
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 29 Dec 2007, 10:52

*Buckaroo* wrote:
tac wrote:India would be basically throwing in the towel if they made any changes to the team.

bull s****

Going in with the same combination would be handing over series to Australia on a platter. Especially the opening combo

& Dravid is not going to be dropped. I wonder who is spreading this carp around ?

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Bucky, most people on this forum think you're just a spaced-out spankmonkey, but I truly appreciate your comic brilliance.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Sat 29 Dec 2007, 11:14

JGK wrote:It was good captaincy by Ponting to let Hoggyyyy!!!! and Midge clean up the tail today - it has give both a bit of confidence for Sydney.
Aye, Ponting handled Hoggy!!! well (apart from perhaps bowling him from the wrong end in the first innings)...gave him good long spells...

Unlike Hoggs last skipper who famously took him out of the attack after he took two wickets in an over Rolling Eyes
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 29 Dec 2007, 11:18

tac wrote:Bucky, most people on this forum think you're just a spaced-out spankmonkey

Because I don't mince words and speak the truth :?:
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 29 Dec 2007, 11:20

*Buckaroo* wrote:
tac wrote:Bucky, most people on this forum think you're just a spaced-out spankmonkey

Because I don't mince words and speak the truth :?:

No, because you're a spaced-out spankmonkey.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 29 Dec 2007, 11:26

*Buckaroo* wrote:

Because I copy and paste conspiracy theories from loony websites :?:

Pretty much, yeah...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 29 Dec 2007, 11:28

JKLever wrote:
*Buckaroo* wrote:

Because I copy and paste conspiracy theories from loony websites :?:

Pretty much, yeah...

Very Happy
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by drunk as a monk Sat 29 Dec 2007, 20:41

Bucks does have a point. It's the opening combination that's the problem, which we need to fix. How we'll fix it is a toughie. Do we drop Jaffer and bring in Sehwag? Or do we drop Yuvi for Sehwag?

Personally I think that we should take Karthik for Dhoni, Not because of his keeping, but because Karthik is a more reliable bat. And that's slightly harsh for Dhoni, but we have a need at the top of the order that he can't, and Karthik can, fill.

drunk as a monk

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Aathma Sat 29 Dec 2007, 23:12

Before this test everyone was saying this XI is the best to challenge Australia on current form and players available. And now after one loss everyone wants to make wholesale changes.

Everyone was for Yuvraj in the team after his 169 against Pak and ODI form, and everyone said Dravid should open because he pretty much comes in after a few overs anyway.

Give the players a chance they came from playing a pathetic Pak bowling attack and only batted for 48 overs in a practice game.

India should have played atleast two practice games before the first test. Now because of that India will suffer, there is only a few days until the next test and nothings going to change. The bowling did as well as it could do, the fielding isn't going to improve neither is the running between the wicket. All we can hope for is a better batting performance.

I highly doubt there will be any changes to the playing XI, even Harbhajan will keep his place after his three wickets in the seconf innings.
Aathma
Aathma

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Sat 29 Dec 2007, 23:21

drunk as a monk wrote:Bucks does have a point. It's the opening combination that's the problem, which we need to fix. How we'll fix it is a toughie. Do we drop Jaffer and bring in Sehwag? Or do we drop Yuvi for Sehwag?

Personally I think that we should take Karthik for Dhoni, Not because of his keeping, but because Karthik is a more reliable bat. And that's slightly harsh for Dhoni, but we have a need at the top of the order that he can't, and Karthik can, fill.

My opinion is that Dravid has been one of the greatest number 3's in history so why would he be played as an opener? Sehwag and Jaffer would be my opening partnership which, unfortunately, would leave Yuvraj out for a while. Laxman would then be batting down the order where he can do most damage.

I haven't seen much of Karthik, but Dhoni is a good keeper (and a decent bat). India's batting line up has enough pedigree not to compromise in this area.

The problem in the first test was a lack of preparation. The Indian batsmen were acclimatising to Australian conditions in a test match FFS.

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 30 Dec 2007, 00:32

ten years after wrote:
drunk as a monk wrote:Bucks does have a point. It's the opening combination that's the problem, which we need to fix. How we'll fix it is a toughie. Do we drop Jaffer and bring in Sehwag? Or do we drop Yuvi for Sehwag?

My opinion is that Dravid has been one of the greatest number 3's in history so why would he be played as an opener? Sehwag and Jaffer would be my opening partnership which, unfortunately, would leave Yuvraj out for a while. Laxman would then be batting down the order where he can do most damage.

I haven't seen much of Karthik, but Dhoni is a good keeper (and a decent bat). India's batting line up has enough pedigree not to compromise in this area.

The problem in the first test was a lack of preparation. The Indian batsmen were acclimatising to Australian conditions in a test match FFS.

Despite the fact they the pitch was very subi in it's nature with fark all bounce or pace . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next