Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MHR Bradman

+10
JGK
furriner
Bradboy
horace
lardbucket
PeterCS
Bradman
Nath
skully
Big Dog
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MHR Bradman - Page 2 Empty Re: MHR Bradman

Post by WideWally Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:34 pm

RIP Bradman
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9699
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : aus

Bradboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:58 pm

I don’t mean to intrude on the family’s privacy, or Bradder’s for that matter, but it would be …fitting I guess….to get a bare sense of who he was and his life.  Just as remembrance.  We’re all random forummers, but we have been in this corner for now 15 years in my case, and more for others.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : ind

Bradboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:14 am

Very sad news.

Always passionate, always fair, would be my summary of whoever "Bradman" was, seen from this distance.

I see that is now already six months ago, but my sympathies, however belated, to his family on that confirmation of the sad news.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Bradboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:34 am

furriner wrote:I don’t mean to intrude on the family’s privacy, or Bradder’s for that matter, but it would be …fitting I guess….to get a bare sense of who he was and his life.  Just as remembrance.  We’re all random forummers, but we have been in this corner for now 15 years in my case, and more for others.

Most of us a pretty private characters on here but from memory based on his postings (others with greater forum recall than I may add) qmy was from a legal background (corporate lawyer or similar) and had much to do with the mines and perhaps outback land and pastural dealings (sheep stations and the like). He made occasional reference to scary rides in single engine planes and helicopters in his outback dealings.

He was pretty well-to-do, apparently* helped along with a significant inheritance from Great Aunt Ethel (which may have been complete bulltwang for all we know Very Happy ).

He made only passing reference to his family but did mention his youngest son pretty regularly (I assume that is Bradboy), who he had later in life.

His health was an issue he gave scant reference to, but he did mention that he'd suffered hepatitis during a tropical sojourn (PNG I think). This coupled with a like for a drink left his liver in a parlous state. He made reference to the doctors insisting he desist, but he would say "where's the fun in that?".

He loved his sport, particularly his cricket and Rugby League. He also loved horse riding, telling me it would be harder to give that up than booze.

To me he came across as highly intelligent, extremely well read, sharp as a whip, but also a real larrikin who loved the indulgences of life.

As I said before, I will miss him greatly.

If any of this is way off the mark or in any way offensive to Bradman's family, please accept my sincere apologies, and also my deepest sympathies for your loss.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105917
Flag/Background : baggy

Nath and horace like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradboy Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:02 am

furriner wrote:I don’t mean to intrude on the family’s privacy, or Bradder’s for that matter, but it would be …fitting I guess….to get a bare sense of who he was and his life.  Just as remembrance.  We’re all random forummers, but we have been in this corner for now 15 years in my case, and more for others.

Bradman — Or Phil as we’d call him— Didn’t really take to things like phones or even the internet for that matter.

I’ll try to summarise him without revealing too much as I suspect his secrecy was to protect his loved ones. My dad and I were pretty distant even before everything, He called me by my name and I called him his, never “dad” or “father” or whatever. He was a smart guy, really smart guy, often having random knowledge on any random topic when brought up— Almost always out of left field and he would drag on for hours about whatever it was. Like I said before, he never picked up the idea of computers or phones, usually had some primal phone with buttons on it like a nokia or pre paid smart phone bought over the counter of a grocery store. For some time he worked for a company that fought for Aboriginal land rights here in Australia, always open minded about everyone regardless of race, gender etc. and loved to travel. Bradman would often tell me about his travels when i would visit— and his time in the army (not sure if he shared that with you all). After working in numerous diverse fields of employment, ranging from managing jobs to things such as security and a steamships company, he landed a job in PNG (As mentioned earlier by skully) Where he met my mother. I had about 6 good years with him before moving states with my mother and stepfather (Not on bad terms just the typical falling in and out of love type of thing that usually comes with life). Bradman loved a drink, maybe a little too much— it’s definitely what killed him. Got sclerosis of the liver about 8 years ago and continued to drink despite the consequences. The internet and the privacy it steals from us is something that Phil was always vocal about, he lightly tweaked aspects of his life and would change minute details just because he could, “They could be a 60 year old truck driver” he would say, watching me play club penguin and runescape with my friends i would never meet. Bradman was about 10 years younger than what he set on his profile, his birthday being on the 12th of August. Often when lost and confused, a phone call to him would always set me straight, despite not talking regularly, he was always my voice of reason.

Anyways, I’m glad to see all these kind wishes regarding him, it sucks he’s gone but he was a great guy despite it all. We had problems between us that i wished we resolved and never spent a lot of time together— Although i wish i could stick around and discuss cricket with you dudes that just wasn’t me, surprisingly— if he were here Bradman would tell you i was more of an NBA guy (I promise it had nothing to do with being half black).

Thanks all, I’m glad that Phil had some sort of community to involve himself in.

Bradboy

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-03-15

Nath, furriner, horace, Fred Nerk and Red like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks for sharing. Cool
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks Bradboy. Very interesting stuff.

I chuckled about Bradboy's reference to qmy's aversion to all things IT. I had forgotten what a Luddite he was in that field, God bless him. Laughing

Last edited by skully on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:56 am

Big Dog wrote:Thanks for sharing. Cool

Ditto.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:12 am

Cheers skully. He sounded like a great guy. And with diverse interesting experiences.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:54 pm

Cheers Bradboy

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26203
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:52 pm

Very sad confirmation of our worst fears.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38082
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:08 pm

RIP Bradman/qmy/Phil. Only in his 50s then by the sounds of it, which really is no age, though sounds like he lived life to the full.

And Bradboy, feel free to stick around, you’ll soon learn that cricket (even T20 or 16.4) is far better than basketbore Wink

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Flag/Background : eng

Bradboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:47 pm

I'm sad that father and son didn't get on a bit better, but despite the song (by an Irish band - lyric best known in the UK to watchers of the TV programme "Gogglebox"), it's a far from perfect world. Even the best of us may find domestic responsibilities awkward, difficult, or just not what they're good at. Life is odd.

Thank you to Phil's son for the enlightening and magnanimous tribute.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:08 pm

Bradboy wrote:

Bradman — Or Phil as we’d call him— Didn’t really take to things like phones or even the internet for that matter……

Thanks all, I’m glad that Phil had some sort of community to involve himself in.

Thank you that was a great post.  I’ve been travelling for the past 2/3 days and was unable to reply immediately. Am still in between places amd jobs, but near Nainital, India is close enough.

Bradman always felt different to me.  I twigged pretty early on that’s he was ex army - the name quartermaster was a huge hint haha- but he had so much more depth to him as I realised he was also (a) some kind of an NGO type, (b) knowledgeable  and (c) so frilkkin likeable despite his seemingly ‘tough boy’ comments.

I really liked that b@stard.  I think we’d have gotten along in real life.

I’d like to add (for what’s it worth) that as time passed Bradders became for me the quintessential
Aussie.  Straight forward, in your face.  Uncompromising. A bit of an asshole.  Fair (painfully so).  Had an Indian sense of humour (well I lie, he wasn’t that blessed.  Just had a sense of humour).

I’ll miss him.

furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:14 pm

And I will in a few hours start drinking to him.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:11 pm

Safer than drinking with him, I suspect.

Although I would have enjoyed that, given the chance.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:50 pm

Aye Mr bucket.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:28 pm

In better times, BD would have wished qmy a happy birthday. Both now gone, but not forgotten.

RIP both.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

horace likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:49 am

Definitely not forgotten. RIP.
furriner
furriner

lardbucket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:37 pm

lardbucket wrote:In better times, BD would have wished qmy a happy birthday. Both now gone, but not forgotten.

RIP both.

Aye, RIP both.
skully
skully

Red likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:57 pm

Aye. Miss them both very much.