Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid

+15
Ash
PeterCS
SG
doremi
Paul Keating
lardbucket
The One
DJ_Smerk
embee
skully
PlanetPakistan
JGK
Winkle Spinner
Invader Zim
Henry
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid Empty Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid

Post by Henry Mon 15 Dec 2008, 00:51

IMO. Dravid has been great at ensuring that India don't lose matches, but apart from Adelaide in 2004 against a Mcgrath and Warneless attack, and a couple of other innings here and there, he hasn't really won too many matches for India compared to Laxman and Sehwag. His record against Australia is modest compared to SRT, VVS, and Viru, and he's got massive averages against Zombabwe and Bangladesh.

Despite the stats, i'd have Laxman batting at three in my all time India side ahead of Dravid.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid Empty Re: Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid

Post by Invader Zim Mon 15 Dec 2008, 00:57

Shocked Mudgekins in "sees a bandwagon and jumps right on board" shocka!! Shocked
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid Empty Re: Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid

Post by Henry Mon 15 Dec 2008, 00:59

Err, i've thought that Dravid was inferior to Sehwag and Laxman for a while now. The last 2 years of Dravid's poor form has merely reinforced my opinion.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Mon 15 Dec 2008, 01:51

You'd only have Laxman in an all time Indian eleven if they were going to play Australia. Not that I don't love Laxman, but the fact he can't seem to be bothered to raise his game against everyone else (and it can only be that, right? There's no other reason he'd do better against the most challenging atttack) sort of diminshes his greatness a bit, for me.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 15 Dec 2008, 01:56

Hard to see how VVS's 281 and 167 or so in Adelaide is much different to Dravid's innings in those same matches.

I have always thought Dravid was a bit over-rated in that his 57 average flattered him (or at least overstated how good he was) but I would have him over the VVS at least.

Sehwag is an utterly different player in every respect so it's almost impossible to compare.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:04

I agree that Laxman should be averaging more. At times you watch him bat and wonder why he doesn't average 60.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:08

Henry wrote:I agree that Laxman should be averaging more. At times you watch him bat and wonder why he doesn't average 60.

He's the Indian Mark Waugh...

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:28

Sehwag- probably(not yet though)
VVS- Nope

Dravid's innings(s) were crucial in their wins at Rawalpindi in 2004, Adelaide 03, Headingly 02, Jamaica 06, Kolkata 01, Kolkata 05(vs Pakistan) and many others...

Dravid> VVS
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:32

Uh-oh. The D > V is in danger of usurping the L > T argument.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:46

Henry wrote:Err, i've thought that Dravid was inferior to Sehwag and Laxman for a while now. The last 2 years of Dravid's poor form has merely reinforced my opinion.

Trev

If VVS and Shewag finish off their careers with a two year form slump will that diminish your opinion?
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:49

embee wrote:
Henry wrote:Err, i've thought that Dravid was inferior to Sehwag and Laxman for a while now. The last 2 years of Dravid's poor form has merely reinforced my opinion.

Trev

If VVS and Shewag finish off their careers with a two year form slump will that diminish your opinion?

Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid Magic8ball
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 15 Dec 2008, 02:59

embee wrote:

Trev

Like you give a sh!t what Trev's opinion is. pirat
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 15 Dec 2008, 03:04

embee wrote:

Trev

No, because even in peak form Dravid was never likely to scare the opposition with his stroke play. The best bowlers have always been able to tie him down.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 15 Dec 2008, 03:30

dravid would still easily be india's third greatest batsman. you cant judge a players career fairly when he is in a form slump

dravid may not be a match-winner, but in a team of stroke-players he facilitated many of india's best victories and he will always be remembered for that. he's got a great away record and a fair record against most teams. i think finishing with an average of 52 will be just, as compared to 59 two years ago

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 15 Dec 2008, 07:43

I've always rated Laxman's batting above Dravid's, however Dravid has brought some wonderful slip catching (at least until recently) to the team as well, so he would probably squeeze into the side over VVS, overall.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 15 Dec 2008, 08:20

VVS has an outstanding pair of hands as well.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 15 Dec 2008, 08:21

Not as good at slip, IMO ... and that's coming from a big Laxman fan.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Mon 15 Dec 2008, 09:16

Sehwag will probably now partner Sunil in the Openers' position in place of Merchant.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 15 Dec 2008, 09:51

Paul Keating wrote:Sehwag will probably now partner Sunil in the Openers' position in place of Merchant.

Let's see where his career ends up.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:05

It's categoric.

There can now be no argument.

Sehwag is better than Merchant.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Laxman and Sehwag will be remembered as greater than Dravid Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:11

Is this to become the S and M thread?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:18

Rubbish. Dravid will always hold a special place, as great as Laxman and Sehwag have been. He's been a rock, the spine of our whole team for about 10 years now.

As TO said, easily our 3rd greatest batsman of all time.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:54

Paul Keating wrote:Sehwag will probably now partner Sunil in the Openers' position in place of Merchant.

no doubt about that now

india's top 4 in its all-time xi is pretty well set in stone now

sunny
sehwag
dravid
srt

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 15 Dec 2008, 10:56

VVS to come at 5.

That too is set in stone.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 15 Dec 2008, 11:00

Where's Gambhir?

And where's Gangs?!?!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next