Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The last time Australia lost a Test series to South Africa

+7
Red
taipan
horace
Mick Sawyer
JGK
OP Tipping
Zat
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The last time Australia lost a Test series to South Africa Empty The last time Australia lost a Test series to South Africa

Post by Zat Mon 29 Dec 2008, 00:58

Was 1969-70.

Before the next series (against England) had finished the Aussie captain was history.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

The last time Australia lost a Test series to South Africa Empty Re: The last time Australia lost a Test series to South Africa

Post by OP Tipping Mon 29 Dec 2008, 01:14

The last time Australia lost a test series to South Africa IN Australia was never.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

The last time Australia lost a Test series to South Africa Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

The last time Australia lost a Test series to South Africa Empty Re: The last time Australia lost a Test series to South Africa

Post by Zat Mon 29 Dec 2008, 01:15

But I bet Capt'n Drunky remains in the job for at least another 2 years.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Mon 29 Dec 2008, 01:26

"But I bet Capt'n Drunky remains in the job for at least another 2 years."

I think after we go down 0-5 in England, "questions will be asked".
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 29 Dec 2008, 01:31

And he'll get away with 'the selectors didn't give me the players I wanted, and there were a few blokes who didn't make the effort we thought was necessary, it wasn't my fault, you don't know anything about the game, the sun came out too often, the umpires were rude to me, the substitute fielding rules weren't rigidly enforced, someone called me a rude name, I was mistakenly shot at by someone trying to assassinate George W Bush, it was cloudy far too much of the time, the pitches were substandard for an Ashes series, and did I mention it wasn't my fault' and be allowed to keep his job.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Mon 29 Dec 2008, 01:34

Mind you, I don't have any great hope that his replacement will be better.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 29 Dec 2008, 02:55

Unfortunately, it seems that toeing the CricAus line is a key skipper's attribute now.

And I don't think we have many cavalry coming through the state ranks either.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 29 Dec 2008, 03:46

If the NSP had any credibility and they actually believed the sh1t they spouted after Perth about why Krazy was dropped, then they cannot in good conscience allow Ponting to remain captain.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 29 Dec 2008, 03:50

Sorry, you lost me after 'If the NSP had any credibility...'

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Mon 29 Dec 2008, 04:26

Not a science-fiction fan, eh?
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:18

Cadetships for potential captains = Nil

One of the great problems with national team members not playing State cricket is that there is no opportunity for the candidates to develop this skill, working in the field. Further, CA don't get to see the candidates perform under match day pressure.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:21

Fair point Mick - hence why Katich is my preferred (c).

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:34

OP Tipping wrote:"But I bet Capt'n Drunky remains in the job for at least another 2 years."

I think after we go down 0-5 in England, "questions will be asked".

....and despite making 700+ runs for the series and receiving rubbish support from players who have played and failed in England before, he will be made the scapegoat by the nabobs who run the ACB and Nein...bewdy they will install either fleas of the kid - both of whom failed before...

let's face it...our team is middling at best given the composition of the side Punter is given...he may not be the best captain we've had but he is by no means the worse...he deserves more support than he gets
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:35

And given the fact that his average is higher as captain.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:38

taipan wrote:And given the fact that his average is higher as captain.

As I said yesterday, that's only because he is a better batsman now, not because he's captain. The diff is 60 v 55 - the 55 includes most of his India matches.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:39

he continues to play brave and bold knocks
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:40

JGK wrote:

As I said yesterday, that's only because he is a better batsman now, not because he's captain. The diff is 60 v 55 - the 55 includes most of his India matches.

Fair enough but most captains' averages drop when becoming captain.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:40

horace wrote:he continues to play brave and bold knocks

Aye he's a great batsman. Another 50 today would have been handy though.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:41

he has always led from the front, batting at no.1 ... unlike others he has never hidden himself down the batting order where the cheaper runs and averages can be found
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:43

taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:

Not really - both Chappells, AB, Waugh, Simmo, Hassett, even Bradman averaged more as skipper.

Tubby's woeful batting as captain is probably colouring your thinking.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:44

horace wrote:he has always led from the front, batting at no.1 ... unlike others he has never hidden himself down the batting order where the cheaper runs and averages can be found

Yeah yeah, cheap shot at Steve Waugh but you can't seriously think that Ponting is a better captain than Waugh.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:49

was not thinking of just Waugh...AB and chappellg also resisted batting at no3 when they were clearly the best batsmen in the team
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:51

waugh had better cattle than punter....punter's mob still ='d the 16 in a row...even a QBilly could have led Oz to success during the Waugh period
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:55

JGK wrote:
taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:

Not really - both Chappells, AB, Waugh, Simmo, Hassett, even Bradman averaged more as skipper.

Tubby's woeful batting as captain is probably colouring your thinking.

Was just a perception of mine. I think it was more Michael Vaughan influencing me.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 29 Dec 2008, 07:58

horace wrote:was not thinking of just Waugh...AB and chappellg also resisted batting at no3 when they were clearly the best batsmen in the team

Chappellg did bat at #3 for a while, in fact he moved up to take that slot because Border struggled mightily there in his early years.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next