Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor?

+3
Brass Monkey
embee
filosofee
7 posters

Go down

Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? Empty Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor?

Post by filosofee Tue 02 Oct 2007, 15:43

Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? O

Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? Inline_dashed_line

Puzzled residents across Yorkshire are turning detective after mysterious stone heads were left outside their properties in the dead of night.

The sculptures feature the same carved symbol and come with a riddle attached. Despite CCTV film showing a man leaving three heads outside a post office, their origin remains unknown. So far, 12 have appeared in Goathland and Kilburn, North Yorkshire; four in Arthington, West Yorkshire and three in Braithwell in South Yorkshire.

Each of the heads, which are up to a foot tall, looks different but all feature the same carving - which appears to spell out the word "paradox" - and a note bearing the riddle: "Twinkle twinkle like a star does love blaze less from afar?" The villages they have been found in are up to 50 miles from each other. Mike and Valerie Hoyes, who run a post office in Braithwell, found three heads outside their business on the morning of 23 August.

Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? O
Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? Start_quote_rb We would love to meet or find out who it is, whoever it is is extremely talented Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? End_quote_rb Fiona Gould, owner of the Forresters Arms Hotel, Kilburn

Checking their CCTV footage, they discovered a man they did not know dropping off the stones in a small car at around 0400 BST. They have since given the tape to the police. Mrs Hoyes said: "It's very weird.
"They're a bit like gargoyles really, obviously somebody has taken a lot of trouble if they have been carved. "On the back it looks like an occult thing, it does actually spell paradox, but we don't know what any of it means."

The heads have been found in villages 50 miles apart.

George Griffiths, an artist from Arthington, near Leeds, also received one of the heads on 23 August and then found another outside his house two weeks later. After speaking to friends and neighbours he became aware of two more of the sculptures being left in the village.

Stonemasons quizzed.

He contacted stonemasons at York Minster in an effort to trace what appeared to be a mason's mark on his heads but said nobody had ever seen anything like it before. He also turned to the internet and dictionaries to try to find out details about the rhyme but again drew a blank.

Mr Griffiths said: "I think it's a publicity stunt - I can't see anything else.
"They're not sinister or anything like that, it's just a puzzle. We're all just waiting and wondering to find out more." Fiona Gould, the owner of the Forresters Arms Hotel in Kilburn, received her head last month. She said: "He turned up a week last Monday between 1.30am and 7.30am. I opened the door and there he was, as large as life, sat on the patio." She iscovered that five more heads had appeared in Kilburn and another six in nearby Goathland. Miss Gould's head now has pride of place on the bar in her pub. "We would love to meet or find out who it is, whoever it is is extremely talented," she added.

from the Beeb here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7022091.stm

Last edited by on Tue 02 Oct 2007, 15:45; edited 1 time in total
filosofee
filosofee

Number of posts : 1712
Registration date : 2007-09-07
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? Empty Re: Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor?

Post by embee Tue 02 Oct 2007, 15:45

It wasn't me
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? Empty Re: Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor?

Post by filosofee Tue 02 Oct 2007, 15:46

embee wrote:It wasn't me

Don't believe you Laughing
filosofee
filosofee

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 02 Oct 2007, 15:49

Yeah. I love my sculpting so much, I'll travel 300 miles to put it in amongst the most culturally bereft people in the country. The way they beat their wives is an art form though. Not a mark on them. Soap in a towel I reckon.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 02 Oct 2007, 16:37

Michael Vaughan struggling to pass the time now that he's no longer in the one day team?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 02 Oct 2007, 18:17

He'd be bette off sculpting himself a new knee first...
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 02 Oct 2007, 18:55

Well there you go, Look North says its some bloke called Billy Johnson who is currently living abroad in a tent somewhere.

Apparently he scattered them around while drinking champagne and driving his car through the east end streets (of Leeds) to the city. He was quoted as saying "I borrowed some tools to chisel them down, tie me up and i'll confess - a thousand ways that i'll make you statuesque..."
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Wed 03 Oct 2007, 08:14

Maybe it was just a bunch of pot heads pretending they were sculptures.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Are you this mysterious Yorkshire sculptor? APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 03 Oct 2007, 09:32

Gaz-top. What an avatar! Shame there isn't 'Diamond Lights' playing at the minute.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by filosofee Wed 03 Oct 2007, 11:40

Batfink Begins wrote:Gaz-top. What an avatar! Shame there isn't 'Diamond Lights' playing at the minute.

Avatar of a man with a seriously bad hair-day!

ps not Bob.
filosofee
filosofee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Wed 03 Oct 2007, 11:43

Less a man, more a god. Or a minor deity of some description at least.

Business-at-front, party-at-back is the way forward.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 03 Oct 2007, 11:47

Gary 111 wrote:Less a man, more a god. Or a minor deity of some description at least.

Laughing Laughing Laughing A-HA-HA-HA!!!! That's a f'kin awesome description of a mullet.
He was a demi-god. I mean, he was saved from a public thrashing after the "Hoddle&Waddle" collaboration by that simple fact.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Wed 03 Oct 2007, 11:49

Batfink Begins wrote:
Gary 111 wrote:Less a man, more a god. Or a minor deity of some description at least.

Laughing Laughing Laughing A-HA-HA-HA!!!! That's a f'kin awesome description of a mullet.
He was a demi-god. I mean, he was saved from a public thrashing after the "Hoddle&Waddle" collaboration by that simple fact.

That's how Dizzy described his mullet . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 03 Oct 2007, 11:51

tac wrote:
That's how Dizzy described his mullet . . .

Never heard it before. I may grow one just to use that statement.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Wed 03 Oct 2007, 12:07

Yeah, that description has been around a while - wish I could lay claim to it, but i can't.

Anyway, here's our hero once more, sans mullet but continuing the fine musical traditions he started with Diamond Lights. But if that was more of an old-fashioned love ballad to clutch at your heart strings, then this is riding on the wave of acid house, the ecstasy generation and new wave psychedelia. A contemporary tale of lust, passion, despair, and erm, having a feeling.

Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down