Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

October 21st

Go down

October 21st Empty October 21st

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 22 Oct 2007, 13:16

Birth of Trevor Chappell, the younger brother of Ian and Greg. He was a solid batsman who did not quite have the talent of his siblings, and played only three Tests, all in England in 1981. But he is best remembered for bowling the last ball of a one-dayer underarm, at the behest of his brother Greg, when New Zealand needed six to win at Melbourne in 1980-81. This caused much consternation and the tactic was quickly banned. Trevor, speaking to Cricinfo, said: "I never wanted to bowl that ball, but Greg said that himself and Ian would always call me "the greatest Chappell" after that. Kudos in my family is everything. Meanwhile Bruce Edgar and Brian McKechnie got wind of what Greg had instructed me to do and threatened me with violence were I to carry it out. When I told Greg he said he'd spoken to Ian, who was at the ground, and said he'd protect me. Ian, however, didn't know anything about this and when I was getting a bashing I saw Ian in the background jumping the fence to avoid them." He resurfaced as Sri Lanka's fielding coach and between March 2001 and March 2002 he had the unenviable job of coaching Bangladesh.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down