Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can India beat Australia down under ?

+14
The One
Ross
Zat
lardbucket
embee
doremi
SG
Henry
please don't yell
horace
tac
PearlJ
Basil
Josh Carney
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Can India beat Australia down under ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can India beat Australia down under ?

Post by Josh Carney Thu 25 Oct 2007, 04:38

doremi wrote:We have as good a chance now as we ever had in recent times. Strangely, the batting worries me more than the bowling nowadays. Sehwag must be picked, also Munaf Patel. That'll give us the best chance. And I won't have Kaif or Sharma aywhere near the test squad IMO.

The Pakistan series will be crucial, since we should be expected to beat them.
And Tiwary is fine because he is from the east is it ?

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Can India beat Australia down under ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can India beat Australia down under ?

Post by Josh Carney Thu 25 Oct 2007, 04:39

SG wrote:And Tendulkar was virtually out of form throughout the year before that series.

His scores before Gabba test were 8, 51, 9, 32, 8, 7, 55 and 1. '03 was his worst ever year in test cricket when he averaged just 17-odd in the whole year.
With those stats you are only strengthening my argument !!

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 25 Oct 2007, 04:42

Josh Carney wrote:
SG wrote:And Tendulkar was virtually out of form throughout the year before that series.

His scores before Gabba test were 8, 51, 9, 32, 8, 7, 55 and 1. '03 was his worst ever year in test cricket when he averaged just 17-odd in the whole year.
With those stats you are only strengthening my argument !!
What argument?

That India should take greenhorns like Tiwary and Rohit Sharma in place of Tendulkar to its next tour to Australia just because Tendulkar had his most terrible year in test cricket just before India's last tour to Australia?

Weird argument, I'd say!!!

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Thu 25 Oct 2007, 04:49

Must admit all i remember was him batting forever at sydney.

Still overall india's batting was very strong in that series, they put up enough runs to win the series but the bowlers weren't able to finish the job which i guess was the case for both teams.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 25 Oct 2007, 04:54

please don't yell wrote:Must admit all i remember was him batting forever at sydney.
Yep, that was due to SCG being a highway.

BTW, hasn't SCG been that way all throughout its history? I mean will you discredit all the scores made there just because of this? And what about Adelaide, Oval, Eden Gardens, Antigua, etc?

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:03

scg has only rarely been a road...adelaide has become less of a road in recent years...conversely the WACA seems to have lost its traditional bounce and zip...
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:03

True, but Tendulkar was in pathetic form throughout that series apart from that sublime 241* at SCG in which he didn't play a single cover drive.

He wasnt in pathetic form. He got a shocking LBW decision from Bucknor at Brisbane, made a pretty useful contribution in India's second innings run chase at Adelaide, and then got caught down the leg side at Melbourne, before that disciplined, leg side dominated double century at Sydney.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:05

SG wrote:
please don't yell wrote:Must admit all i remember was him batting forever at sydney.

BTW, hasn't SCG been that way all throughout its history? I mean will you discredit all the scores made there just because of this? And what about Adelaide, Oval, Eden Gardens, Antigua, etc?

I think you're reading something into my post that isn't there.

I was simply saying that his huge score in sydney meant i pretty much forgot how the rest of his series went.

please don't yell

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:06

Henry wrote:
True, but Tendulkar was in pathetic form throughout that series apart from that sublime 241* at SCG in which he didn't play a single cover drive.

He wasnt in pathetic form. He got a shocking LBW decision from Bucknor at Brisbane, made a pretty useful contribution in India's second innings run chase at Adelaide, and then got caught down the leg side at Melbourne, before that disciplined, leg side dominated double century at Sydney.

He just wasn't scoring any runs.

FIXED
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:06

please don't yell wrote:
SG wrote:

I think you're reading something into my post that isn't there.

I was simply saying that his huge score in sydney meant i pretty much forgot how the rest of his series went.

I think it was directed at Josh , pdy
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:08

Ahh fair enough.

please don't yell

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:08

Henry wrote:
made a pretty useful contribution in India's second innings run chase at Adelaide, and then got caught down the leg side at Melbourne
Thats pathetic, by his standards. I mean not even a single half ton, before the last test of the series.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:12

One of his dismissals shouldnt have been out, and another one was one of the unluckiest ways to get out in cricket. Doesnt mean he wasnt seeing the ball well. Bit harsh to accuse Tendulkar himself of being 'pathetic' in those scenarios.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:13

Okay, he wasn't pathetic in that series. He just wasn't scoring any runs, as embee said.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:17

I think India will take all of the 'big three' to Aus, along with Laxman, Jaffer, Karthik, Sehwag, and Yuvraj as the batsmen.

Possible Indian lineup for the boxing day Test-

Jaffer
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Kumble
Zaheer
RP Singh
Munaf/Sreesanth
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:26

embee wrote:
Henry wrote:

He just wasn't scoring any runs.

FIXED

bit like tubby
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:49

Henry wrote:I think India will take all of the 'big three' to Aus, along with Laxman, Jaffer, Karthik, Sehwag, and Yuvraj as the batsmen.

Jaffer
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Kumble
Zaheer
RP Singh
Munaf/Sreesanth
VVS would play, come what may.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:51

SG wrote:
Henry wrote:I think India will take all of the 'big three' to Aus, along with Laxman, Jaffer, Karthik, Sehwag, and Yuvraj as the batsmen.

Jaffer
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Kumble
Zaheer
RP Singh
Munaf/Sreesanth
VVS would play, come what may.

so gangles can do some sightseeing?
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:51

need a 3rd seamer
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:52

He'll definetly be in the squad, but I dont think he's guaranteed a place in the starting XI, especially if he has a poor series against Pakistan. Yuvraj is banging on the door pretty loudly.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:57

Josh Carney wrote:
doremi wrote:We have as good a chance now as we ever had in recent times. Strangely, the batting worries me more than the bowling nowadays. Sehwag must be picked, also Munaf Patel. That'll give us the best chance. And I won't have Kaif or Sharma aywhere near the test squad IMO.

The Pakistan series will be crucial, since we should be expected to beat them.
And Tiwary is fine because he is from the east is it ?

Maybe. Or maybe because of his 99.something average in FC cricket last year, or I may just like the way he plays.

FFS Josh, not everyone has a personal agenda here you know. How many players have I supported from the east? Ganguly, Dhoni, ..... anyone else?
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:58

I'm glad Tendulkar is touring. I hope and expect he will do well. I don't expect him to tour Australia again.

The SCG has not always been a road. In the 1970's it was a paceman's dream, fast and bouncy, and later it became a spinner's paradise, where even the likes of Border and Murray Bennett bowled well. Since 1970, at least until the last few years, my impression is that it has had a high proportion of results, with few draws, certainly very few draws that were not due to rain.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 25 Oct 2007, 05:59

lardbucket wrote:it became a spinner's paradise, where even the likes of Border and Murray Bennett bowled well
Murray Bennett. How shite were we back then, eh?

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 25 Oct 2007, 06:01

Well, all I can say is that he was better than Gavin Robertson or Johnny Watkins ... or Graham Beard.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 25 Oct 2007, 06:03

India will fancy their chances at Sydney and Adelaide. Perth could be a struggle, although at least it wont be their first test of the series like it was for Pakistan 3 years ago.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next