Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cook to captain England in Bangladesh

+10
PlanetPakistan
Allan D
DJ_Smerk
footwork
Red
Invader Zim
CT
skully
JKLever
Henry
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cook to captain England in Bangladesh Empty Cook to captain England in Bangladesh

Post by Henry Mon 18 Jan 2010, 10:20

http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshveng2010/content/current/story/444883.html

Shahzad and Tredwell also in the test squad. Why has Adil Rashid fallen off the radar so quickly?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Cook to captain England in Bangladesh Empty Re: Cook to captain England in Bangladesh

Post by JKLever Mon 18 Jan 2010, 10:24

They've decided he isn't ready yet and bowls too many loose balls an over.

At least there aren't too many changes - 2 is reasonable.

James Tredwell & Luke Wright in a test squad - Clucking Bell.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Cook to captain England in Bangladesh Empty Re: Cook to captain England in Bangladesh

Post by Henry Mon 18 Jan 2010, 10:26

As opposed to the 19 year old Shahzad who is tidy and ready to take on the world?

If they're too scared to play Rashid against the Bangers, then the poor lad hasn't got much hope and may as well concentrate on his batting.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 18 Jan 2010, 10:26

Is KP being rested. He looked a bit shattered yesty.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 106012
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by CT Mon 18 Jan 2010, 10:31

Kp needs to play the deshis that way he can dine out on them and get his messiah status back again after steyn fed him to the lions. Razz
CT
CT

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Mon 18 Jan 2010, 10:49

An English born England skipper? Bit of a break with tradition.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:16

Invader Zim wrote:An English born England skipper? Bit of a break with tradition.

Not the first Captain Cook to be sent to the colonies. Smile
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17072
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by footwork Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:17

A Captaincy of endeavour and discovery no doubt. Cook to captain England in Bangladesh Icon_cool
footwork
footwork

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:20

Henry wrote:As opposed to the 19 year old Shahzad who is tidy and ready to take on the world?

If they're too scared to play Rashid against the Bangers, then the poor lad hasn't got much hope and may as well concentrate on his batting.

He's 24 according to Cricinfo.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:24

DJ_Smerk wrote:
Henry wrote:As opposed to the 19 year old Shahzad who is tidy and ready to take on the world?

I'd suggest Trev is correct in this case...he knows how old the arse is he's ******.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:25

Invader Zim wrote:
DJ_Smerk wrote:

I'd suggest Trev is correct in this case...he knows how old the arse is he's ******.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Mon 18 Jan 2010, 14:05

At 25 years and 77 days on the opening day of the 1st Test v. Bangladesh on 12 March Cook will be the 5th youngest player to captain England after Monty Bowden, Ivo Bligh, Ian Botham and Donald Carr and the 3rd youngest to have been officially appointed (Bowden and Carr were both stand-ins in 1 Test when their respective tour captains fell ill).

Since Bligh captained on a private tour that was subsequently awarded Test status (touring parties were not officially selected until 1903) and Botham was first appointed to captain in the home series against the West Indies in 1980 Cook is the youngest official regular England captain to be initially appointed for an overseas tour (assuming he plays, of course). Let's hope he makes a better fist of it than he did in the T20 at Centurion last November when it looked as if he couldn't captain an U-15 side!

Last edited by Allan D on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 14:38; edited 1 time in total
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon 18 Jan 2010, 14:09

very bad decision!
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Mon 18 Jan 2010, 14:11

this is no where near their best squad..

i hope BAN win.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 18 Jan 2010, 17:28

Tredwell - WTF? that'll be 2 offies then, so much for variety. Monty must really have pissed on Flower's shoes.

Good call for Carberry though.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:11

Monty doesn't deserve a call up though, been horsedung most of the year.

I'd rather they'd gone for Dave Wainwright up at Yorks, a younger more promising bowler than Tredwell whenever i've seen him.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:16

At least one paperwas calling for Ian Blackwell - I assume that this was an attempt at humour.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:16

Panesar is the metaphorical - double-edged sword.

Take him and play him: He takes a bagful, draws everyone into a false sense of security that he's 'rejuvenated' and then bowls robotic tripe to Pakistan and Australia and we're all left speechless, with nowhere to turn.

Leave him where he is: Have him as 12th man for the Bangla return trip. See how Sussex treat him and then possibly give him a go against Pakistan if he shows a bit of form.

Remember, Panesar has done very well against Pakistan in the past. (Yes, means nothing if you discount his current form, but you know, some players prefer playing certain teams).
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:22

May want to ignore most of that, as I doubt England will even think about playing two spinners against Pakistan at home and Australia down under.

Swann is the man. I was just being hypothetical, incase Swann gets injured or they prepare ravaging spinner decks all summer.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:45

Monty's been bowling that badly over the last year or two that they probably don't feel it would achieve much bringing him back here. Hope he rediscovers his form, though it will be hard to displace Swann on current form, but sometimes spinners seem to lose it for no apparent reason and never be the same bowler again.

Rashid though does appear to have been very poorly handled, what did he do in SA that made the selectors change their minds - drop a few drinks? Bowl absolute dross in the nets?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:49

By the accounts of those involved, Monty has been bowling much better in South Africa, even if the figures don't necessarily reflect it. Listening to him, he does also seem to have a rather different attitude to his game compared with a year ago.

People have to be careful not to adopt a "never ever" attitude towards him. I'd have thought the Panesar of a couple of years ago would be a serious asset to an England squad, so why not wait and see if he has got his mojo back before condemning him? We know he has talent, and that talent needs nurturing, not being dismissed and told to never darken doors again.

I agree he doesn't seem to have done enough to warrant a return, but England will doubtless have invested a fair bit in him. Seems eminently reasonable to want to keep him in the loop and confident he has a future, whether that means right now or in the coming months.

Shoeshine

Cook to captain England in Bangladesh Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:52

Shahzad told BBC Radio 5 live: "I want to be like James Anderson."

Oh dear. Just what we need...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:58

Dello wrote:

He can bat too though can't he? Everything I read about him sounds promising, but I've never seen him play.

Shoeshine

Cook to captain England in Bangladesh Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 18 Jan 2010, 20:02

Dello wrote:

[snorfle] Deary me.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 18 Jan 2010, 21:29

Shoeshine wrote:
Dello wrote:

He can bat too though can't he? Everything I read about him sounds promising, but I've never seen him play.

Got a bit of a Stuart Clark type action if I recall, mid 80's. Then again could well be making it up...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next