Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Commonwealth Games

+39
Growler
Merlin
Brass Monkey
PeterCS
krikri
Big Dog
lardbucket
Henry Nolonga
mynah
DJ_Smerk
Nath
eowyn
ever hopeful
PlanetPakistan
Hass
buckSH
JGK
philcric
rey
Blackadder
Josh Carney
G.Wood
taipan
LeFromage
JKLever
Mick Sawyer
Red
tac
horace
Bradman
embee
skully
doremi
Zat
beamer
The One
furriner
Basil
Henry
43 posters

Page 16 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Commonwealth Games - Page 16 Empty Re: The Commonwealth Games

Post by skully Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:35

G.Wood wrote:
JGK wrote:Netball's fine.  All the movement is off the ball. That's the point.

It made poms cry so that has to be a good thing too.

Seeing them tear up at the hockey not much later was even more hellafunny.

Any knighthoods coming out of these games?

I'm a bit biased, but I'm with Petey. Having a wife and 2 daughters who were all good netties that I watched play for years has made my "passion" for the sport wane just a little. And they had/have a 6th sense whenever netball was on the telly, meaning that the remote was commandeered on such occasions.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105981
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:39

Interesting to see the comments on netball v basketball ... I'll stick my head up above the parapet to say that I see very little difference between the two, really, except as someone has already pointed out, the fast movements occur 'off the ball' with netball and 'on the ball' with basketball. In both sports the majority of scoring seems to be done with very deliberate and uncontested shooting ... in netball, from under or close to the post; in basketball, from the free throw line after some technical infringement.

Neither game interests me greatly. Under peer pressure from some school mates I did play basketball briefly in my early school years, but was too small and clumsy at the time to really enjoy it, and I just never got that into it. Half a season was enough and then I decided cricket, hockey, and athletics was plenty. Many years later when resident in Cairns I went to watch a Taipans match - just the once - and found I couldn't sustain interest through the match. There was altogether too much hotdogging, mascots, and manufactured interest; with short segments of actual play constantly interrupted by fouls, timeouts, and 'faffing about' whilst winding down the shot clock. Dreadful game.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:41

If we are talking attractive young female athletes - the runner Bianca Williams is bloomin' fantastic. Smile, personalty and generosity to others, too. ANd steely, which is equally good to see. Hope she goes from strength to strength.

And a (non-nationalistic) word for Jo Pavey. 40 years old and a medal in the 5000 metres. Okay, so the chorus begins - "Shows how crap the CG are!!!"

But her time was good, her determination to come back, and even to compete, and hold out in the race, were sensational. Inspiring to anyone of marginally generous spirit, too.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:45

Was surprised at the stat that this was the first Comm Games in 20 years where Aus didn't win the medal count. Really?? I'll have to check that. Always thought it was always a tight battle for medal supremacy between Aus and England.

Anywho, well done to England on blitzing the count.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:48

Sure enough, Aus had not lost the medal count before these Games since England won the count in Edinburgh in 1986.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:52

Is that true? Bullshit? It's surprising that such a 'jingoistic mob' hadn't made more of this.

Do you mean total medals or gold medals?

Last edited by lardbucket on Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:53; edited 1 time in total

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:52

@Lardy:

True - a proliferation of technical infringements can mar and slow any game (sport). In hockey, for example, it's the repeated accidental hitting of a foot/leg with the ball that is a problem for fluency. (This is not about deliberate blocking.)

And timeouts.

But what you really seem to be beefing about is the "over-Americanisation" of sport: additional (and worst, when artificial) timeouts, the overpacking of the sandwich with merchandise, the scary amounts of fastfood, the blur of franchise paraphernalia .... I am getting a bit too nauseous to continue the list, so will stop.

The "Gilesclarkeisation", to put it another way.

And that's also a problem in many pro sports these days. A necessary evil, most would argue to one extent or another.

Sometimes the extent seems massively overstepped, not only to purists. (Even before you get to Sirallenstamfordisation.)

So was it the basketball as such that was the problem? Or what was clustered on it, like a set of rashes and carbuncles?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:54

PeterCS wrote:@Lardy:

True - a proliferation of technical infringements can mar and slow any game (sport). In hockey, for example, it's the repeated accidental hitting of a foot/leg with the ball that is a problem for fluency. (This is not about deliberate blocking.)

And timeouts.

But what you really seem to be beefing about is the "over-Americanisation" of sport: additional (and worst, when artificial) timeouts, the overpacking of the sandwich with merchandise, the scary amounts of fastfood, the blur of franchise paraphernalia .... I am getting a bit too nauseous to continue the list, so will stop.

The "Gilesclarkeisation", to put it another way.

And that's also a problem in many pro sports these days. A necessary evil, most would argue to one extent or another.

Sometimes the extent seems massively overstepped, not only to purists. (Even before you get to Sirallenstamfordisation.)

So was it the basketball as such that was the problem? Or what was clustered on it, like a set of rashes and carbuncles?

Mostly the warts, wens, and cankers.

Re hockey ... most foot penalties at high level are professional fouls, sought or conceded, rather than accidents.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:56

lardbucket wrote:Interesting to see the comments on netball v basketball ... I'll stick my head up above the parapet to say that I see very little difference between the two, really, except as someone has already pointed out, the fast movements occur 'off the ball' with netball and 'on the ball' with basketball. In both sports the majority of scoring seems to be done with very deliberate and uncontested shooting ... in netball, from under or close to the post; in basketball, from the free throw line after some technical infringement.

Neither game interests me greatly. Under peer pressure from some school mates I did play basketball briefly in my early school years, but was too small and clumsy at the time to really enjoy it, and I just never got that into it. Half a season was enough and then I decided cricket, hockey, and athletics was plenty. Many years later when resident in Cairns I went to watch a Taipans match - just the once - and found I couldn't sustain interest through the match. There was altogether too much hotdogging, mascots, and manufactured interest; with short segments of actual play constantly interrupted by fouls, timeouts, and 'faffing about' whilst winding down the shot clock. Dreadful game.

I agree with you pieman that they are similar and also find them tedious to watch. For me the problem is that (in even matches anyway) sides just take in turns to score and there is never much of a margin. You only really to watch the last five minutes.
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:56

PeterCS wrote:If we are talking attractive young female athletes - the runner Bianca Williams is bloomin' fantastic. Smile, personalty and generosity to others, too. And steely, which is equally good to see. Hope she goes from strength to strength.

And a (non-nationalistic) word for Jo Pavey. 40 years old and a medal in the 5000 metres. Okay, so the chorus begins - "Shows how crap the CG are!!!"

Where's the pictures?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:57

lardbucket wrote:Is that true? Bullshit? It's surprising that such a 'jingoistic mob' hadn't made more of this.

Wait till Merls hears of this .... might even posthumously enthuse him for the Commonwealth Games.

FWIW: Well done to all who competed, gave of their best, put on a show, entertained and in some cases inspired.

But I have to repeat : I am in awe of Bolt. He's like a god of sport.

Built like a cheetah with antelope shoulders. And an amazing guy. He's not actually even a bighead, which is also amazing, given his reputation (and talent).
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 03 Aug 2014, 01:59

Usain Bolt loves cricket - that's enough for me.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 03 Aug 2014, 02:07

lardbucket wrote:
PeterCS wrote:If we are talking attractive young female athletes - the runner Bianca Williams is bloomin' fantastic. Smile, personalty and generosity to others, too. And steely, which is equally good to see. Hope she goes from strength to strength.

Where's the pictures?

I will confidently assume you mean in running garb.

BW:

The Commonwealth Games - Page 16 140801-williams_0

(Jodie on the right is not her sister!)

JP:

The Commonwealth Games - Page 16 AVIVA+European+Trials+UK+Championships+Day+96L2lxv7DoDl
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 03 Aug 2014, 02:09

lardbucket wrote:Usain Bolt loves cricket - that's enough for me.

Well, I never forget that bit either! Very Happy
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 03 Aug 2014, 04:43

skully wrote:Sure enough, Aus had not lost the medal count before these Games since England won the count in Edinburgh in 1986.
lardbucket wrote:Is that true? Bullshit? It's surprising that such a 'jingoistic mob' hadn't made more of this.

Do you mean total medals or gold medals?
Gold and Total.

See here
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 03 Aug 2014, 04:54

So Petey, do I detect an implied accusation of racism there? You see this is my problem that you never seem to have the balls to say anything directly, it is always the backstabbing route for you, and when the proverbial hits, you jump back, hold up your hands and say not me.

Of course I support SA players, I am the only Saffie left left standing, and salute their achievements. One thing I don't so is indulge in breast beating when we win a match or series. But on the other hand I don't moan or groan when we lose, or indulge in the weird reverse woofing which seems to have the become the forum norm.

Let's take one specific, Amla. When he was picked, I did have concerns, his technique was all over the place and was rightfully dropped. However when he went back to FC and sorted out his problems, and returned I congratulated him on his hard work. My further criticism when I saw signs of backsliding were a genuine concern that he was undoing his hard work, but you viewed that as racism as you do. Oddly enough 12 months later everyone else suddenly noticed his "looseness" , you included. But of course according to you I have no insight into sport.

I see that you claim to have participated in various sports, but I note you slid out of mentioning which.

The basic thing is that you have never liked me, because I have a tendency to prick your bubble. I admit I am brash and upfront and say what I feel, sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong, but that is life. You on the other hand have this need to feel loved and respond to any criticism with mounds of meaningless verbiage. You really do love the sound of your own write, don't you?

Anyway let's just carry on as we have for the past ten years or so, I for one,am not going anywhere. I could go on here and debate snide with you but you wouldn't understand. I suspect that, as in life, there will be some that loves me and some that hates me, but I do realise this is only the net after all, and that you should also realise that.

Cheers.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sun 03 Aug 2014, 06:56

Silver in the hockey.... nothing else to say. We'll probably get beaten 8-0 tonight, but silver in the hockey.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 03 Aug 2014, 07:08

There are clearly different value medals. How many women's boxing golds is a hockey silver worth?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sun 03 Aug 2014, 07:15

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Aug 2014, 10:18

I think the two 5-0s within 7 years of each other have silenced any pom jingoism for a good 50 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 03 Aug 2014, 11:20

You misunderstand me vilks.

I was referring to the common English perception of Aussies being a 'jingoistic mob' ... in reality, at least two of us had absolutely no idea that (apparently) Australia had previously led the CG medal count. My own recollection was that we usually vied with Canada for swimming honours! For what that's worth.

I was not making a comment on English folk being jingoistic at all.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Aug 2014, 12:11

Ahhhh.

I think in summation, the Commonwealth Games: WGAF?

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 03 Aug 2014, 12:19

Indeed. They are competitive; but they're akin to the European Championships, or the Pan Pacs ... but none of those are the Olympics or the World Championships.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 03 Aug 2014, 12:33

FWIW there was some good viewing. You get to see some sports that are not normally televised. I agree it is not the Olympics as certain countries are missing.

Whether it is worth the cost is another debate.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 03 Aug 2014, 15:45

Terrible conditions for the road races. The mens only has about 40 left out of 140.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next