Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys?

+19
Jontyh
DJ_Smerk
Basil
WIFAN
PeterCS
tac
lardbucket
skully
horace
embee
furriner
Big Dog
eowyn
taipan
Josh Carney
JGK
Henry
The One
Zat
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys? Empty Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys?

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 03:18

Link to SMH story ---> Marsh reveals Australia lost their way after cool-it order

Maybe I'm just dumb, but how did Australia wind up as the bad guys in all this?

Selected quotes from the article:
Australia claimed a dramatic final-day victory against India at the SCG in 2008, but the result was quickly forgotten as a racism storm saw India threaten to boycott the remainder of the tour. Harbhajan Singh was charged after the Australian team accused him of calling Andrew Symonds a ''monkey'', however that was later downgraded to the lesser charge of verbal abuse.

The demonstrative on-field behaviour of the Australians, as much as the racism row involving Harbhajan, provoked outrage among Indian supporters and debate in the media.
--------------------------------------------------------
What must be noted is that the cultural differences and misunderstandings between eastern and western cricketing nations makes sledging a delicate issue; had Australia attacked India as aggressively as they did England in Perth, the consequences would be different.

But then, a couple of paragraphs later, from CA spokesman Peter Young
''What the public saw in Perth, from my understanding of the public mood, was completely acceptable.''
So we have to treat Indian players differently? Now I could swear that's racism. Pure and simple.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys? Empty Re: Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys?

Post by The One Wed 22 Dec 2010, 03:36

not abusing someone is not racism Very Happy

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys? Empty Re: Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys?

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 03:41

Treating people differently because of where they come from is racism.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 22 Dec 2010, 03:46

There seems to be a perception that Australia can only win if they abuse and sledge their opposition, as evidenced in that story.

That's why they're the bad guys and people don't like them very much. They can't seem to find a way to win, and come across as nice people at the same time.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 22 Dec 2010, 03:46

well, the english should be complaining then, not the indians. maybe you need to rethink the need to abuse every opposition

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 22 Dec 2010, 04:07

Zat wrote:

James Sutherland = BCCI Rent Boy

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 04:16

I didn't see much of the Perth Test, but was there anything unacceptable by the Australian team in that match?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 22 Dec 2010, 04:18

We lost.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 04:19

No, in the Perth Test just played, not the one we timidly pissed away against Monkeyjan Singh a couple of years ago.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 22 Dec 2010, 04:22

Oh.

It seemed all OK to me. Some words here or there but that was mostly started by the vile poisoned-tongue Poms and our boys were just defending their honour.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 22 Dec 2010, 04:26

Zat wrote:No, in the Perth Test just played, not the one we timidly pissed away against Monkeyjan Singh a couple of years ago.

Siddle, Ponting and Prior had ugly looking words, Tayne had a sook when the DRS gave him out, Johnson was chirping throughout.....

England gave it back, though.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Wed 22 Dec 2010, 05:03

Being aware of cultural sensitivities is not racism. The Aussies use the term "little bastard" as a grudging acknowledgement of a tough competitor who is perhaps short in stature. Ganguly has been referred to in those terms.

For the average Indian that will come across as very offensive, particuarly the bastard part which will be viewed as questioning one's heritage and accordingly insulting one's mother. It is particularly offensive given that traditionally sex outside marriage has been a taboo for the average Indian.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 22 Dec 2010, 05:47

IIRC didn't a lot of Indians claim that "monkey" was not a racist term?

Being aware of cultural sensitivities is not racism.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 05:57

Yep. Two years later and I still don't get why the same thing doesn't apply both ways.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 22 Dec 2010, 06:06

Indians cannot be racist?

Didn't I also read that on here?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 22 Dec 2010, 06:23

Not the Brahmins anyway.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 22 Dec 2010, 06:36

If the rest of the world realises and accepts that the Aussie team has a tradition of being foul-mouthed offensive gits, there will be no more problems.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 07:12

Foul-mouthed offensive gits? F*ck you, Razz

But you're telling me it's only Australians? The first time I remember seeing anyone offer the perpendicular digit to someone was Bob Willis in an Ashes match in the late 70s. And Botham and Gatting gave as good as they got.

And more than a few of the West Indies players gave as good as, if not better than, they got...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Wed 22 Dec 2010, 07:16

C'mon Zat...you know the answer....only W.A.S.P.'s are allowed to be racists. Everyone else is a victim.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Dec 2010, 12:20

I don't know exactly what was said so it is difficult to judge whether Australia over-stepped the mark. Cultural sensitivities should be taken into a account if possible though. Hypothetically if a cricketer sledged McGrath when he was still playing with something like "Haha your wife is going to die and she deserves it" then I think everyone in our (and I say our because Aus and England are pretty similar) culture would be absolutely appalled, but if in the perpetrators culture it is perfectly fine to say something like that, do you still think that it's ok for it to be said?

I've just woken up and I think I may have just been rambling a little and I can't be arsed to re-write it, but you can probably see the point I am making.

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Wed 22 Dec 2010, 12:57

Cultural sensitiveness and perspective - had an Indian started this thread, it would have been dismissed as a sook.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 22 Dec 2010, 13:01

farque off , ya sook
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26204
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Wed 22 Dec 2010, 13:04

There you go. Smile
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 19:40

furriner wrote:Cultural sensitiveness and perspective - had an Indian started this thread, it would have been dismissed as a sook.
Only because it would have been a sook. Razz

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Wed 22 Dec 2010, 22:29

As far the the Sydney test goes the racism claim came from the Aussie side Symonds accusing Bhaji. That did not cause the boil over. The boil over came beacuse of what happened on the last day where the Indians were unhappy about the appeals and in particular the grounded catch that Ponting claimed. What set the cat amongs the pigeons was the statement Kumble made with respect to only "one team playing cricket out there". Given Kumble's reputation as a straight shooter it got a lot of airplay and follow ups from both the Indian and Aussie press / fans.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next