Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys?

+19
Jontyh
DJ_Smerk
Basil
WIFAN
PeterCS
tac
lardbucket
skully
horace
embee
furriner
Big Dog
eowyn
taipan
Josh Carney
JGK
Henry
The One
Zat
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys? - Page 2 Empty Re: Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys?

Post by Zat Wed 22 Dec 2010, 23:01

So throwing all the toys out of the cot makes you the good guys? Right, must remember that next time I see a two-year-old throw a tantrum

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys? - Page 2 Empty Re: Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys?

Post by horace Thu 23 Dec 2010, 07:08

The ACB certainly ended up the bad guys by not supporting Symonds

Singh should have been rubbed out...if Kumble had called the tour off - bad luck

horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 23 Dec 2010, 07:19

I lost a lot of respect for Kumble that day.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 23 Dec 2010, 07:34

Because it turned out he wasn't the timid little 'bend over and take it up the arse' Indian that you thought he was?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 23 Dec 2010, 08:23

Because he was being a hypocritical sensationalist qunt.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 23 Dec 2010, 09:13

Josh Carney wrote:As far the the Sydney test goes the racism claim came from the Aussie side Symonds accusing Bhaji. That did not cause the boil over. The boil over came beacuse of what happened on the last day where the Indians were unhappy about the appeals and in particular the grounded catch that Ponting claimed. What set the cat amongs the pigeons was the statement Kumble made with respect to only "one team playing cricket out there". Given Kumble's reputation as a straight shooter it got a lot of airplay and follow ups from both the Indian and Aussie press / fans.
Good times.

But it was a monumental sook by Jumbo.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105932
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 23 Dec 2010, 09:15

JGK wrote:I lost a lot of respect for Kumble that day.
Damn straight.

I think my first post after I saw the press conference when he mimicked Bill Woodfull's Bodyline remarks was "Fark me, did Jumbo just say that? Shocked "

And then it was a massive and hilarious sh!tfight for the next 25 days or so. Doris and leg glancer cried buckets that month.

Ace times. Will forever hold the record as the highest posting month on Flaming Bails. Twisted Evil
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105932

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 23 Dec 2010, 14:07

Before the 'monkeygate' match, I supported Australia, then West Indies, then India.

Since that time, I cannot support India over any other team, with the possible exception of Zimbabwe, although I still strongly support Laxman as an individual player. These days I would even enjoy an England win over India. Strange, I know.

The match is perhaps best remembered here as the origin of 'hearsay'.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38091
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Thu 23 Dec 2010, 15:40

i guess a 'sydney' was almost inevitable in many ways. up until the end of the 90s australia could be pretty brazen about its players' actions and get away with it since it had a dominant board. but with increasing confidence amongst newly emerging powers like india the 'rules of the game' would not neccessarily be decided by the aussies. matters were building up to a point where you would expect a big explosion at some point. i dont think this match can really be viewed in isolation if you really want to understand the events that occured immediately after it

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 23 Dec 2010, 22:53

The One wrote:i guess a 'sydney' was almost inevitable in many ways. up until the end of the 90s australia could be pretty brazen about its players' actions and get away with it since it had a dominant board. but with increasing confidence amongst newly emerging powers like india the 'rules of the game' would not neccessarily be decided by the aussies. matters were building up to a point where you would expect a big explosion at some point. i dont think this match can really be viewed in isolation if you really want to understand the events that occured immediately after it The indian team was always due a massive farkin sook when they failed again in Oz
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 23 Dec 2010, 23:21

it remains one of the great sook efforts in recent history - rivalled only by fat arjuna marching his team off the field when mum was called, gavaskar calling his partner off after being given out and Inzi staying in the sheds following the ball tampering affair..

mind you off the field Atherton's sooky sour face after being assassinated by embee ranks up there too
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 24 Dec 2010, 02:34

How farkin predictable. Even two years later TO can't bring himself to accept the tiniest possibility that Harbi might just be a bit of a turd. India India Uber Alles...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Dec 2010, 18:46

You were always the bad guys, zat. You just never realised it ...
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Sat 25 Dec 2010, 17:57

Zat wrote:How farkin predictable. Even two years later TO can't bring himself to accept the tiniest possibility that Harbi might just be a bit of a turd. India India Uber Alles...

One thing I've never understood about that is that Harbi gets on really really well with the West Indies players, sharing a close friendship with Pollard and Bravo. I simply do not believe that he called Symonds (who I believe to be a complete dibdobdibdob) a monkey. He probably called him something else that was not exactly pleasant to hear, but then again I heard Glen McGrath call Sarwan and Lara some of the worst things imaginable.

Swings and roundabouts tbh, but at the time my sympathies were with India tbh as from memory it was the year after our tour of Australia was completely ruined by one-sided umpiring (Lara, Chanderpaul and Sarwan given shockers repeatedly) and awful off the field treatment (so bad the Aussie cricket board had to apologise for not providing net bowlers etc and the WICB woke from it's slumber to issue an official complaint). I was still pretty pissed about it at the time, luckily our next tour of Australia was a hell of a lot better.

Still it made for some seriously entertaining times on FB and some ridiculously heated threads Very Happy.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys? - Page 2 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 25 Dec 2010, 21:14

Zat wrote:How farkin predictable. Even two years later TO can't bring himself to accept the tiniest possibility that Harbi might just be a bit of a turd. India India Uber Alles...

TO = tossquer
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 25 Dec 2010, 22:44

WIFAN wrote:

One thing I've never understood about that is that Harbi gets on really really well with the West Indies players, sharing a close friendship with Pollard and Bravo. I simply do not believe that he called Symonds (who I believe to be a complete dibdobdibdob) a monkey. He probably called him something else that was not exactly pleasant to hear, but then again I heard Glen McGrath call Sarwan and Lara some of the worst things imaginable.

Swings and roundabouts tbh, but at the time my sympathies were with India tbh as from memory it was the year after our tour of Australia was completely ruined by one-sided umpiring (Lara, Chanderpaul and Sarwan given shockers repeatedly) and awful off the field treatment (so bad the Aussie cricket board had to apologise for not providing net bowlers etc and the WICB woke from it's slumber to issue an official complaint). I was still pretty pissed about it at the time, luckily our next tour of Australia was a hell of a lot better.

Still it made for some seriously entertaining times on FB and some ridiculously heated threads Very Happy.

Younis Khan made a pretty good point a couple of years ago- Why do the major sledging rows always seem to involve Australia?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 25 Dec 2010, 22:46

WIFAN wrote:One thing I've never understood about that is that Harbi gets on really really well with the West Indies players, sharing a close friendship with Pollard and Bravo. I simply do not believe that he called Symonds (who I believe to be a complete dibdobdibdob) a monkey.
Of course, Harbi would never be a plonker and would never carry on like a pork chop...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sat 25 Dec 2010, 22:50

Zat wrote:
WIFAN wrote:One thing I've never understood about that is that Harbi gets on really really well with the West Indies players, sharing a close friendship with Pollard and Bravo. I simply do not believe that he called Symonds (who I believe to be a complete dibdobdibdob) a monkey.
Of course, Harbi would never be a plonker and would never carry on like a pork chop...

It was floating down leg, FFS.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 25 Dec 2010, 22:56

Bhaji - bless him, the brains of an amoeba.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 25 Dec 2010, 22:58

Somefestive season generosity there Bas.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Sat 25 Dec 2010, 22:59

Harbi is an utter tool.
Jontyh
Jontyh

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys? - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 25 Dec 2010, 23:00

I had some left mate
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Sat 25 Dec 2010, 23:20

Spanky touched on this topic in his article today. I almost spewed.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Monkeygate 2 years on. How did Aus wind up as the bad guys? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 25 Dec 2010, 23:21

thanks for the warning. I won't read it even by (hung over) accident now

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38091

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 25 Dec 2010, 23:24

Oh, sh!t. There'll be a whole new thread on it by Red before the day is out. Complete with the excuse that she couldn't find the already existing thread on the subject because the title was too obscure.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next