Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Waugh: ruthless England setting the standard

+9
MrPrez
LeFromage
krikri
JKLever
PeterCS
skully
Brass Monkey
Henry
Red
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Steve Waugh: ruthless England setting the standard Empty Steve Waugh: ruthless England setting the standard

Post by Red Wed 28 Sep 2011, 04:45

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-28/england-setting-the-standards-now3a-waugh/3025286

Now he says the current England side under captain Andrew Strauss reminds him of Australia during its heyday.

They are a quality professional side who want to dismantle the opposition and win as quickly as they can," Waugh told Sky Sports News.

He also thinks that Clarke will expedite Australia's rise back up the rankings and that the schedule wasn't to blame for India's horror tour of England.

"I think it's a pretty lame excuse from India," he said.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Steve Waugh: ruthless England setting the standard Empty Re: Steve Waugh: ruthless England setting the standard

Post by Henry Wed 28 Sep 2011, 07:04

I don't know if England will ever reach the lofty heights of ruthlessness that Steve Waugh achieved whilst Captain Conservative is in charge.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Steve Waugh: ruthless England setting the standard Empty Re: Steve Waugh: ruthless England setting the standard

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:35

It wasn't the schedule that f*cked India. He's right. They can cling onto that if they want, but it won't help them in the future. I liked the 'tired' angle... "ooh, we's hads the IPLs. We's hads to bowl four overs 14 times. We's had to bat for 20s balls, 14s times. We's knackered." Get over it faaggots.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:44

I'm loving the hard-as-nails Engulund. Great to see. Jimmeh's hilarious sledging of Midge and Paris was great theatre.

Now if Aus can lift their game, Ashes 2013 may be a grouse contest.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105978

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:58

Aye would be good to see a proper contest with two well-oiled machines. The last time will be getting on for 7 years by the time it happens(if it does).
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 28 Sep 2011, 13:10

Yeah, 2005 was the classic. Although 2009 wasn't too foul. That was definitely one that got away for Aus.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105978

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 28 Sep 2011, 13:17

2009 had two pretty average teams up against each other. Neither team really amounted to much, but England stumbled across the line. 2010/11 had one very good team and one average team up against each other.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 28 Sep 2011, 13:17

Nonsense. What we all want to see is infinite re-runs of 2010-11.

Swinging it to the left, swinging it to the right. Headless Oz selections, and clueless G&G skippering. Panic in the Baggy Green top order. Mental disintegration of the Good Guys.

LAAARVVVLEEEEEEEE!! Wink
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 28 Sep 2011, 13:32

Yeah, it wasn't bad, 2009.

England produced a smash-and-grab in that one IMO. Both teams were prone to total shitness at times which made it fall out of my criteria.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 28 Sep 2011, 13:38

PeterCS wrote:Nonsense. What we all want to see is infinite re-runs of 2010-11.

Swinging it to the left, swinging it to the right. Headless Oz selections, and clueless G&G skippering. Panic in the Baggy Green top order. Mental disintegration of the Good Guys.

LAAARVVVLEEEEEEEE!! Wink

Too bloody right!!!

I want 18 years of dumping on Australia from a great height and being given whats for! spank
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 28 Sep 2011, 13:41

...with the odd close test that England pull out of the bag despite it looking like Aus will win....just to piss them off!
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by krikri Wed 28 Sep 2011, 14:00

Brass Monkey wrote:Get over it faaggots.

Fcuking truth. When England players said they were tired from playing all year round they were (rightly) told to suck it up. It's about time these losers did the same.
krikri
krikri

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 28 Sep 2011, 14:04

Or.......SKIP THE IPL FOR THE SAKE OF THE NATIONAL TEAM!!!!!

It's not like they really need the extra money.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 28 Sep 2011, 14:05

Dominance can get boring quite fast, IMO. I mean, the only reason I didn't kill myself at the mundanity of Aus thrashing everyone was because they were so chockablock full of arrogant, uber-bullish cockwads that the hatred spurred me on to hope against hope some team would pull off a blinder against them.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 28 Sep 2011, 14:09

Yes, of course. I was egging the pudding bigtime.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 28 Sep 2011, 14:18

Why? It's f*ck all - 14 T20s. F*ck all. As I say it's, what, a max of 56 overs in a month. 56!!!! The England bowlers would bowl that in 5 days (given some semblance of resilient opposition), given that they do 5-7 overs before play anyway. They don't cry their f*cking eyes out about it. For a batsman, it shouldn't matter at all. Cook batted about 10 full T20 innings in the winter, I didn't see him snivelling like a beaten pet.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:22

Brass Monkey wrote:Dominance can get boring quite fast, IMO. I mean, the only reason I didn't kill myself at the mundanity of Aus thrashing everyone was because they were so chockablock full of arrogant, uber-bullish cockwads that the hatred spurred me on to hope against hope some team would pull off a blinder against them.

Word. I can't wait for England to be sh!t again. Ever Hopeful's been kicking my arse lately.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrPrez Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:31

I really like how their is lots of competition for top spot now. SA and England are the 2 best teams to me, and personally I feel SA has the better players, but suck big time in terms of attitude. Until we get a winning mentality, we're going to struggle. Meanwhile England will be better even though imo they have a worse side on paper.
MrPrez
MrPrez

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2011-09-28
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:36

I think our fast bowling reserves are better. I wouldn't rate Parnell's or Tsotsobe's chances of getting in our side - and welcome to the forum by the way.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MrPrez Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:39

Reserves: yes, probably.
However, Steyn and Morkel coupled with Tsotsobe is still a better 3 pronged pace attack than any three you can put together imo.
MrPrez
MrPrez

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:42

Steyn, yes, Morkel, debatable, Tsotsobe, get out of town.

Any three from Anderson, Broad, Tremlett, Finn, Bresnan, Onions is a pretty strong attack - especially when you throw in a quality spinner in Swann.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by MrPrez Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:47

I'm talking about the attack as a whole- Steyn is miles ahead of anyone in the world, Morkel is better than anything you have too (you English haven't seen him for a while, he has recently become someone who is definitely the closest in the world to Steyn's standard). Tsotsobe isn't great but decent enough to back up the first two. Swann is quality, no argument there.

Last edited by MrPrez on Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed out words and didn't read my sentences beforehand :P)
MrPrez
MrPrez

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:52

There's no debate that Steyn is the standout bowler in world cricket.

Morkel might well have developed since I last saw him, but a number of English bowlers have kicked on too - not least Stuart Broad, who had by far and away the best series of his career against India.

LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by MrPrez Wed 28 Sep 2011, 18:54

I guess, we'll have to wait and see! I'm incredibly keen for SA-Eng!
MrPrez
MrPrez

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Wed 28 Sep 2011, 19:13

We all are. That's why it's so depressing that the ECB have decided on a three match Test series. Should've been a five match series.

Four at the very least.

LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next