Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rudolph or Petersen for Australia series?

+8
JKLever
PeterCS
Henry
MrPrez
Brass Monkey
Paul Keating
taipan
Red
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rudolph or Petersen for Australia series? Empty Rudolph or Petersen for Australia series?

Post by Red Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:53

Perhaps directed at the newest member Mr Prez. I see that Rudoph is 72 n.o. in a score of 4/105 and has shown good form post his return to SA. Given the shaky credential of Petersen what chance of the latter retaining his spot for the upcoming series against us/

Also will it be Tsotsobe or Parnell as the third seamer presuming Steyn and Morkel are fit? Will Boucher retain his spot and who might replace AB either in limited overs or tests if his finger injury keeps him out?
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Rudolph or Petersen for Australia series? Empty Re: Rudolph or Petersen for Australia series?

Post by taipan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:55

The question should be Rudolph or Elgar
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Rudolph or Petersen for Australia series? Empty Re: Rudolph or Petersen for Australia series?

Post by Paul Keating Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:56

Was Rudolph the guy who batted a day at the WACA to save a test? if so, go with him
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Rudolph or Petersen for Australia series? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:58

Rudolph was all kinds of dump the last time he played Tests, but he seems to have matured a lot. I'd go with him.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:59

Paul Keating wrote:Was Rudolph the guy who batted a day at the WACA to save a test? if so, go with him

Yes. I mentioned Petersen as he's the incumbent and may be part of a quota? arrangement.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by MrPrez Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:59

OK. First of all, I'd still expect Petersen to open tbh. I'd like to see Rudolph be given a go but Petersen actually has shown a bit of potential and I'd think the selectors will stick with him.
Secondly, Tsotsobe should definitely be 3rd seamer. Parnell has been very out of form recently and Tsotsobe has really been bowling well, in fact often outbowling Steyn and Morkel vs India. Boucher should be in for tests, and although until now I haven't been a fan, his form recently means he should get the nod for limited overs too. The selectors seem to be looking at van Wyk for limited overs though, but I'd rather have Boucher atm.
MrPrez
MrPrez

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:59

I'd add a third name to the candidates to be Smith's opening partner- Dean Elgar. He has been around for a while now and long been thought of as a future test player. If there's a pecking order, he should be ahead of Rudolph, but I sense they will go for Rudolph's experience.

Petersen always looks a good player, but he too often throws it away when well set. Too many pretty 40s and 50s.

Bowling-wise, Parnell is overrated. He still hasn't taken a first class five for after four years of first class cricket. They'll probably go with Tsotsobe. Ticks the quota box as well.....

Another contest will be between Ashwell Prince and JP Duminy for the number six spot. Prince should keep it for now, but he always seems to be on thin ice, no matter that his test record is pretty impressive.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:01

Henry wrote:I'd add a third name to the candidates to be Smith's opening partner- Dean Elgar.

NTR
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:04

Yeah, well, that was a classic case of about four short posts going through whilst I was preparing my longer, more detailed one. You know when it notifies you that other posts have been posted whilst you were writing your's? Well, I never read that......
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:07

Prince will under pressure from Duminy given that the latter ticks bowling and fielding boxes ahead of him and he's also has youth on his side. Prince's recent test performances haven't been particularly poor but haven't been particularly startling either.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:08

Henry wrote:Yeah, well, that was a classic case of about four short posts going through whilst I was preparing my longer, more detailed one. You know when it notifies you that other posts have been posted whilst you were writing your's? Well, I never read that......

Ah, the BM defence.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:11

taipan wrote:

Ah, the BM defence.

Garq off. My defence was it didn't turn up. His was he didn't read it.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:12

The Champions League is f*cking up Duminy's chances of pushing for a test spot.

Considering both Prince and Duminy are in India playing hit and giggle at the moment, and that it's been proven pretty emphatically by India that T20 cricket does f*ck all to help a batsman prepare for a test match, a bold move would be to overlook them both, and debut Elgar at six, with Rudolph opening.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:13

Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:

Ah, the BM defence.

Garq off. My defence was it didn't turn up. His was he didn't read it.

Me bad. Didn't read his defence properly.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:13

Henry wrote:I'd add a third name to the candidates to be Smith's opening partner- Dean Elgar. He has been around for a while now and long been thought of as a future test player. If there's a pecking order, he should be ahead of Rudolph, but I sense they will go for Rudolph's experience.

Petersen always looks a good player, but he too often throws it away when well set. Too many pretty 40s and 50s.

Bowling-wise, Parnell is overrated. He still hasn't taken a first class five for after four years of first class cricket. They'll probably go with Tsotsobe. Ticks the quota box as well.....Another contest will be between Ashwell Prince and JP Duminy for the number six spot. Prince should keep it for now, but he always seems to be on thin ice, no matter that his test record is pretty impressive.

Think Parnell qualifies as quota too.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:20

Well, in the right conditions, i'd say that Tsotsobe probably is actually South Africa's best option as third seamer, regardless of his skin colour.

Another option is CJ de Villiers, who is a tall right armer who bowls around 140kph consistently. But I think he might be injured.....
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:22

Henry wrote:Well, in the right conditions, i'd say that Tsotsobe probably is actually South Africa's best option as third seamer, regardless of his skin colour.

Another option is CJ de Villiers, who is a tall right armer who bowls around 140kph consistently. But I think he might be injured.....

Not sure on Lopsy's conditioning and how good he is with the used ball. Even in ODI's he seems to bowl his quota straight off.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:23

de Villiers is currently playing a match for the Titans. I agree about Tsotsobe if he's in form.

The makeup of Australia's attack will also be interesting and contingent upon the fitness of Harris.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:41

As non-white, or as Muslim? ~ Or possibly both?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:46

PeterCS wrote:As non-white, or as Muslim? ~ Or possibly both?

Parnell?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:49

Yep - sorry, didn't see I was on p1.

He seems "mixed race", but also a bit mixed up re: his religious orientation lately.

Should get Hudson on his case.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:50

PeterCS wrote:Yep - sorry, didn't see I was on p1.

He seems "mixed race", but also a bit mixed up re: his religious orientation lately.

Should get Hudson on his case.

The general perception is that he is "POC" but have nver seen an official confirmation.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:51

Or else get Amla to bring him over completely, and sort his head out.

He's def been off the boil as regards form, from what I've seen. And he seemed to be a bright prospect a couple of years ago. Wh'appen?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:52

Maybe he's been suffering some sort of identity crisis then.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:57

Who is the dyke with the prisoner cell block H style pose?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next