Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WI v Australia - series predictions

+17
taipan
Eric Air Emu
Bradman
Ross
The One
JKLever
G.Wood
horace
Red
PeterCS
embee
WIFAN
tac
DJ_Smerk
Nath
PlanetPakistan
lardbucket
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WI v Australia - series predictions Empty WI v Australia - series predictions

Post by lardbucket Fri 06 Nov 2009, 22:34

Now that the WICB has come up with whatever compromise has been agreed upon, and something close tto the best Windian team available has been sent, how will they fare in the series beginning in JUST 3 WEEKS (thank fark) against an Australian side that is still clearly rebuilding after major personnel changes over the last 3 years, with ageing and injured players at the top of the order and behind the stumps, and a seemingly endless recycling of the keepers and bowlers? Might they actually win?

AUSTRALIAN 12 (likely, with 'shadow' players bracketed):

Simon Katich
Shane Watson (Chris Rogers, Phil Hughes, Phil Jaques)
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke (erk - Brad Hodge)
Mike Hussey
Marcus North
Brad Haddin (Tim Paine, Chris Hartley, Graham Manou, Luke Ronchi, Matthew Wade)
Jason Krejza / Nathan Hauritz / Jon Holland / Beau Casson / Chris Simpson / even Bryce McGain
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Ben Hilfenhaus
Stuart Clark

I see this year as an excellent opportunity for Australia to examine its spin prospects closely, as the West Indies (barring Lara) have traditionally struggled against spin in recent years. My preference would be for Krejza in the Tests and perhaps Hauritz or even someone like Simpson in the ODIs. Depending on the nature of the injuries to and recovery rate of Haddin and Paine, it may also be an opportunity to examine Ronchi at the top level, especially whilst he seems to be in cracking batting form, although i think any of the other keepers named above would do a better job behind the stumps than Haddin, and bat adequately. Amongst the batsmen, Katich and Hussey would seem to be nearing (<2 years) the end of their careers; but barring injury I suspect both will see out this summer and be fairly desperate to hang on until the return Ashes next year. The faster bowlers are on a real merry-go-round at present ... the four I've listed, all Ashes tourists, are probably the best of the bunch; though there is a pack just behind them (Noffke, Magoffin, Dorey, Geeves, young Walter from Queensland, Bollinger, McKay, and a host of random Dubbers).

With the Australian team looking less established than it has for some time, I fancy the West Indians to accredit themeselves fairly well if they can unite themselves behind Gayle, and (a big if) if Gayle, Sarwan, and Chanderpaul can perform to their ability.

My tip? A 2-1 series result, and I'm not at all sure which way.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

WI v Australia - series predictions Empty Re: WI v Australia - series predictions

Post by PlanetPakistan Fri 06 Nov 2009, 22:35

AUS will win 2-0
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

WI v Australia - series predictions Empty Re: WI v Australia - series predictions

Post by lardbucket Fri 06 Nov 2009, 22:38

How will there be a draw?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Fri 06 Nov 2009, 23:08

it will be interesting to see how Brendan Nash goes with the bat...
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 06 Nov 2009, 23:10

... slowly, I expect. I wonder if he'll get a bowl? I doubt he bowled much for Queensland, if at all, but the Windians have been giving him a trundle occasionally. His first wicket in Australia, if it comes, may be a Test wicket, which would be highly unusual for a Shield-raised player. Ken Eastwood might have achieved this 'feat', I'll need to check.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 06 Nov 2009, 23:12

1-1 or 2-0.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri 06 Nov 2009, 23:36

You betting on there being a draw as well, smerky? Can't see it myself . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 06 Nov 2009, 23:40

I was pushing for a draw during the Ashes, I got close, but no cigar...
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri 06 Nov 2009, 23:49

no, smerky, a drawn test . . it's a 3 test series . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sat 07 Nov 2009, 00:00

Well there's less likely to be a drawn test, unless it rains.

I just want the Windies to show a bit of fire.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Sat 07 Nov 2009, 00:02

2-1 Australia IMHO. Our bowling attack will get it together for one test but ultimately the better side will triumph.
WIFAN
WIFAN

WI v Australia - series predictions 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sat 07 Nov 2009, 00:04

WIFAN wrote:2-1 Australia IMHO. Our bowling attack will get it together for one test but ultimately the better side will triumph.

Similar to the SAF series in SAF. I hope they keep the tempo high throughout the series (which they failed to do after winning the first test in SAF). WI need to regain the passion and fiyah of years gone by.

Cliche or not, its just what is needed.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sat 07 Nov 2009, 00:11

problem is that the WI players haven't played much cricket lately so they will be VERY rusty
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Sat 07 Nov 2009, 00:16

Totally agree PP, and whats more we only have one warm up match which will probably be against Queensland's teeny boppers.

The lack of Australian experience in our squad is also worrying. Gayle, Sarwan, Shiv, Bravo and Ramdin are the only ones who have toured Australia before. Obviously Nash spent a lot of time in Australia and he is going to have to have a chat with the younger players like Barath.

Similar to the SAF series in SAF. I hope they keep the tempo high throughout the series (which they failed to do after winning the first test in SAF). WI need to regain the passion and fiyah of years gone by.

Yeah thats exactly how I see it going unfortunately. We might even win the first test just like we did in SA when Taylor, Edwards and Bravo had a field day at PE. Our bowlers are perfectly capable of bowling the Aussies out cheaply (they dismissed a much stronger Australian side for 154 in 2008), but I just can't see it happening more than once.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 07 Nov 2009, 02:00

WIFAN wrote:2-1 Australia IMHO. Our bowling attack will get it together for one test but ultimately the better side will triumph.

Wiffy

You know the umps will step in as soon as the Windies look like getting a sniff and fire out all your batsmen and not give any Ozzies out
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sat 07 Nov 2009, 02:03

They'll have to bowl them out....literally...
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 07 Nov 2009, 02:40

I think Oz should try a three-prong spin attack. Give them all a tryout.

Whoreits, Crazyhorse and Warne for me.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 07 Nov 2009, 02:49

I can see the Windies having some great moments - even great sessions but ultimately not being good enough to win a test. They will have to quickly dust off the cobwebs to be competitive though there will be some Aussie players suffering from fatigue.

Fidel Edwards is a bit of a loss one suspects.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Sat 07 Nov 2009, 03:19

embee wrote:

Wiffy

You know the umps will step in as soon as the Windies look like getting a sniff and fire out all your batsmen and not give any Ozzies out

Lets not get my blood pressure up this early in the morning please embee Very Happy. I am 99% certain that the umpiring in this series will be ok, but that wont stop me having the odd moan as that particular trait appears to be in my DNA. Whatever happens, it cannot be worse than Rudi and Billy on our tour in 2005 can it?
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sat 07 Nov 2009, 03:22

Is there a test in Sydney?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Sat 07 Nov 2009, 03:24

Red wrote:I can see the Windies having some great moments - even great sessions but ultimately not being good enough to win a test. They will have to quickly dust off the cobwebs to be competitive though there will be some Aussie players suffering from fatigue.

Fidel Edwards is a bit of a loss one suspects.

It may well be one of those series where in 1 test the batting will fire and the bowling wont, before the complete opposite happens in the other tests.

I am looking forward to seeing how Ponting copes with Taylor as there is no bigger example of a bowlers bunny then that. 9 times in 11 innings in all forms of cricket at last count.

Is there a test in Sydney?

Nope. Brissie, Adelaide and Perth.
WIFAN
WIFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 09 Nov 2009, 00:01

who cares anymore...I hope for the sake of international cricket that the windies win but doubt they will..
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 09 Nov 2009, 00:02

Translated: I hope the WI make fleas look like a washed up old hack.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 09 Nov 2009, 00:15

lardbucket wrote:

AUSTRALIAN 12 (likely, with 'shadow' players bracketed):

Simon Katich
Shane Watson (Chris Rogers, Phil Hughes, Phil Jaques)
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke (erk - Brad Hodge)
Mike Hussey
Marcus North
Brad Haddin (Tim Paine, Chris Hartley, Graham Manou, Luke Ronchi, Matthew Wade)
Jason Krejza / Nathan Hauritz / Jon Holland / Beau Casson / Chris Simpson / even Bryce McGain
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Ben Hilfenhaus
Stuart Clark

You just know the selectors are going to move one of the dubbers (probably Froggy)into open but there is no way they will drop Watson so North will be the one to be sacrificed.

Unwarranted but at least it will annoy Zimmy
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 09 Nov 2009, 00:18

DJ_Smerk wrote:Translated: I hope the WI make fleas look like a washed up old hack.

...that would only be stating the bleedin' obvious...fleas is so washed up and clean from this he looks like on object on a tv commercial that has just emerged from a new dish washing machine
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next