Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aussie cricketers accused of match fixing

+8
embee
JGK
skully
furriner
Zat
G.Wood
lardbucket
horace
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Aussie cricketers accused of match fixing Empty Aussie cricketers accused of match fixing

Post by horace Mon 10 Oct 2011, 21:52

From ABC Online

A London court has been played a tape recording in which a sports agent accused of taking bribes to fix matches claims Australian cricketers are the "biggest" culprits in match fixing.

Agent Mazhar Majeed was covertly taped making the claim during a conversation with an undercover journalist from the now defunct News of the World Sunday tabloid.

The tape was played in Southwark Crown Court at the corruption trial of former Pakistan captain Salman Butt and fast bowler Mohammad Asif.

At the time of the conversation, reporter Mazher Mahmood, the former investigations editor for the newspaper, was posing as a rich Indian businessman seeking major international players for a new tournament.

Mr Majeed told Mahmood Australian players would fix "brackets", a set period of a match on which punters bet, for example, on how many runs will be scored.

"The Australians, they are the biggest, they have 10 brackets a game," Mr Majeed said on the tape played to the court.

He said match fixing had been happening for years, and also named some of Pakistan's best-known former players as being involved in betting scams.

"It's been happening for centuries. It's been happening for years. Wasim, Waqar, Ijaz Ahmed, Moin Khan - they all did it."

Mr Majeed also told the reporter he could make him "absolute millions" from match fixing.

Photo: Former Pakistan captain Salman Butt outside an anti-corruption tribunal in Doha in February. (Mohammed Dabbous : Reuters)

A video secretly filmed in a car showed the agent and the reporter meeting on August 18 last year on the first day of Pakistan's Test against England at The Oval.

Mr Majeed said he would give the journalist proof of his influence by arranging for two no-balls to be bowled, for a fee of 10,000 pounds ($15,700) each, then said a "deposit" of 150,000 pounds was required for further activity.

"I will give you a bracket for the following day ... in terms of a deposit it is going to be 150,000 pounds minimum," the agent said.

"That is going to be for me to pay my six boys a certain amount each. After that I can give you everything we do and every result we do, every bracket we do."

Mr Majeed said he would pay the players to secure their cooperation.

He promised: "I have got the main players. I have got the bowlers and the batsmen and the all-rounders, I have got two-two-two and that is all you need.

"We have got one result already planned and that is in the next three matches, Pakistan will lose.

"Again you know as a cricket game it goes backwards and forwards, it is your responsibility to put it (a bet) on at the right time."

The agent said he would inform Mahmood of "exactly what the players are going to do".

"They will do their job," he promised.

Ironically, Mr Majeed told the journalist: "I know you and I have met you and I'm very good with people and instincts. I believe you are genuine."

Mr Majeed boasted that he knew Hollywood film star Brad Pitt and former world number one tennis player Roger Federer very well, and could arrange for them to promote the new cricket tournament.

Prosecutors allege Mr Majeed conspired with Butt and Asif to fix parts of the Lord's Test between England and Pakistan in August last year.

Butt and Asif, who are standing trial, deny the charges. The trial continues.

horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Aussie cricketers accused of match fixing Empty Re: Aussie cricketers accused of match fixing

Post by horace Mon 10 Oct 2011, 21:53

and I thought it was Hilditch and the other losers behind the scenes were responsible for our recent dismal efforts
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Aussie cricketers accused of match fixing Empty Re: Aussie cricketers accused of match fixing

Post by horace Mon 10 Oct 2011, 21:55

I love how Pitt and Federer get mentions as friends of the agent...maybe the actor and tennis chappie once had curries
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 22:01

Hardly proof. This guy isn't exactly the most honest person that ever lived so I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 10 Oct 2011, 22:03

'friends with Brad Pitt and Roger Federer'

My Dad's better than your Dad.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38098
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 10 Oct 2011, 22:17

vilkrang wrote:Hardly proof. This guy isn't exactly the most honest person that ever lived so I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

...and the rest of a sizable Siberian salt mine
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 10 Oct 2011, 22:24

vilkrang wrote:Hardly proof. This guy isn't exactly the most honest person that ever lived so I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

It would explain Mitchell Johnson
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 10 Oct 2011, 22:36

Typical Paki reaction to getting caught cheating I'm afraid.

When the Oval fiasco happened, the response in some quarters to them being caught for ball tampering was 'England were doing it too'.

When these cheats were initially busted, the response was 'England players are doing it too'

The cricket world should ban Pakistan from any form of interational matches. Let them play their own games, fixed and rigged to their heart's content, in Pakistan.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 10 Oct 2011, 22:42

As far as I understand it, it's another tape.

If this isn't proof, neither is what he said against the Pakistani players, is it?

In which case....
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 10 Oct 2011, 22:43

Zat wrote:Typical Paki reaction to getting caught cheating I'm afraid.

It sounds like the statement was made before they got caught cheating
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 10 Oct 2011, 22:53

G.Wood wrote:

Is there a Nobel Prize for stunningly insightful but ostensible non sequiturs?
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 10 Oct 2011, 23:00

furriner wrote:

If this isn't proof, neither is what he said against the Pakistani players, is it?

In which case....
From the original post (please read it before reflexively jumping to their defence furri)
a tape recording in which a sports agent accused of taking bribes to fix matches claims Australian cricketers are the "biggest" culprits in match fixing.

As opposed to a vdeotape whereby some cheating Pakistani qunt was caught taking large sums of money and planning specific fixes.

Yeah, that's the same thing... Rolling Eyes

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 10 Oct 2011, 23:02

Zat wrote:
furriner wrote:

In which case....
From the original post (please read it before reflexively jumping to their defence furri)

Sorry if that is reflexive Zatty.

Will re-read.

Edit: I admit that a "cheatin' Pakistani cricketer" (apologies PP) is a 100 times more likely than an "cheatin' Australian cricketer"*. But a tape (audio) is not to be dismissed easily.

* Farqin qunt of a racist Bhajji Ausssie bastard would be a typical Aussies cricketer in my book. Qunt.

Last edited by furriner on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 23:06; edited 1 time in total
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 10 Oct 2011, 23:04

furriner wrote:
G.Wood wrote:

Not a Nobel Prize but if I was English I would no doubt receive an OBE
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 10 Oct 2011, 23:07

Zatty, please to re-read my edits above.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 10 Oct 2011, 23:11

G.Wood wrote:
furriner wrote:
G.Wood wrote:

Not a Nobel Prize but if I was English I would no doubt receive an OBE

If you were English you would be King.

With a lot of toothless, unhygienic 'subjects'.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 10 Oct 2011, 23:15

Phurt, we all know what will happen. The covert tapes will be deemed insufficient and unreliable evidence, Butt and Asif will get off, the Paksters will not pick them for a while, then all will be forgiven and both will get future games for Pakistan.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105943
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 11 Oct 2011, 02:17

furriner wrote:
Zat wrote:
furriner wrote:

In which case....

Sorry if that is reflexive Zatty.

Will re-read.

Edit: I admit that a "cheatin' Pakistani cricketer" (apologies PP) is a 100 times more likely than an "cheatin' Australian cricketer"*. But a tape (audio) is not to be dismissed easily.

* Farqin qunt of a racist Bhajji Ausssie bastard would be a typical Aussies cricketer in my book. Qunt.

If the tape was of something actually happening, then yeah. But the tape described in the OP seems to be of a bloke making an allegation, not of anything actually happening. Dare I use the word? I think I must. It is, at best, hearsay...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 11 Oct 2011, 02:21

I'm very confused by all this now...

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 11 Oct 2011, 02:21

Furry will be back to debate your point after he has a poo
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26209
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 11 Oct 2011, 02:47

Australia must have players fixing stages in matches. How else would you explain the way they suddenly turned the SCG match against Pakistan around at the start of 2010? I mean the boys were gawn in that match, they had no right to win it, but then suddenly managed to bowl their way to an unlikely win, simply by playing much better than they had for the first three innings of the match.

I can't find any other explaanation, other than the Aussie players being as corrupt as f*ck and lying doggo to start with before playing to their full potential to finish the match.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 11 Oct 2011, 03:04

On the nooz it said it was all about brackets, fixing the number of runs scored in certain over brackets being the most common fix.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105943

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 11 Oct 2011, 03:09

Last summer the bracket must have been five tests and the number of runs must have been five eighths of one third of two fifths of the square root of farqall ....fixers must have made a fortune
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26209
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 14:21

furriner wrote:
If you were English you would be King.

With a lot of toothless, unhygienic 'subjects'.

Oh, c'mon furry. Stop playing Unc Tom to these squinters. If you reckon there's credence in Majeed's comments, stick to your guns. Don't give it the tired 'yes boss' routine.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 14:24

Zat wrote:Australia must have players fixing stages in matches. How else would you explain the way they suddenly turned the SCG match against Pakistan around at the start of 2010? I mean the boys were gawn in that match, they had no right to win it, but then suddenly managed to bowl their way to an unlikely win, simply by playing much better than they had for the first three innings of the match.

I can't find any other explaanation, other than the Aussie players being as corrupt as f*ck and lying doggo to start with before playing to their full potential to finish the match.

Are you thick or something? The were chucking the match, then were paid more handsomely to win. How incredibly naive.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next