Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Butt and Asif- The spot fixing verdict

+19
lardbucket
mynah
The One
beamer
horace
PlanetPakistan
embee
JGK
G.Wood
Lara Lara Laughs
skully
Basil
spangler
PeterCS
SG
taipan
Merlin
Brass Monkey
Henry
23 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Butt and Asif- The spot fixing verdict - Page 2 Empty Re: Butt and Asif- The spot fixing verdict

Post by Henry Tue 01 Nov 2011, 14:51

Perhaps it's a case of the sentences for the more serious crimes you mentioned being too lenient rather than the sentences for a crime like this being too harsh?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Butt and Asif- The spot fixing verdict - Page 2 Empty Re: Butt and Asif- The spot fixing verdict

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 01 Nov 2011, 15:02

That's moot really, fact is they are lenient, so this punishment should be downscaled accordingly.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 01 Nov 2011, 18:27

It's official then - messrs Butt, Amir and Asif are CHEATING QUNTS
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 01 Nov 2011, 18:33

Guilty as can be.

PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 01 Nov 2011, 19:45

Welly well well. Nice to see justice prevailing occasionally.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105954
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 01 Nov 2011, 21:07

I'm with Danny.

If either of them get 7 years in prison it will be one of the most hideously harsh sentences I've seen. Butt's crime did not really harm any individual - just abstract concepts like "sport" and "the spirit of cricket", along with perhaps a few bookies (who can be compensated). WTF would you put someone in jail for that? Alongside rapists and murderers he'd be like Andy Dufrane (?) in The Shawshank Redemption.

Losing his livelihood, his reputation and his source of income along with a heavy fine would have been more than adequate. There is a difference between punishing someone for doing something wrong and getting some sort of thrill out of grinding a man into dust. There is no glory or justice in it. It's just heavy handed.

Assuming he has no criminal record, any jail time would be a joke. Asif, perhaps, is a different case, with his doping and heroin smuggling exploits in the past.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 01 Nov 2011, 22:00

Perhaps you could transport them to the colonies.
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 01 Nov 2011, 23:46

The ICC need to revisit their previous punishments on Butt, Amir and Asif and ban them FOR LIFE.

They also need to suspend Pakistan from ALL international cricket pending investigation into possible further corruption.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 01 Nov 2011, 23:46

What they've done is basically theft.

They clearly knew it was wrong and illegal; they didn't need to do it because they were starving or needed to pay for cancer treatment for their kids. It was done purely out of greed and with disregard for the consequences for others.

Hard to feel remotely sorry for them. Having said that, 7 years in gaol would be excessive.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 01 Nov 2011, 23:48

It's hard to see how Butt and Asif can appeal - as Amir has pleaded guilty - some sort of custodial sentence is essential if the cancer of match fixing is to be cured.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 01 Nov 2011, 23:57

I love cricket

I love the drama and the unpredictability

If the players at elite levels are playing not to their merits on purpose(or to order) ...be it for one ball , three balls or a whole match ...then it shakes my confidence in the game

If I have no confidence in the game why would I shell out $50 to $100 a day to watch a game live or bother watching it (and the associated ads that pay for the coverage) on tv ...or even bother looking up a result on cricinfo

If I do something minor in my job that shakes the confidence of my "punters" I get punished harshly for it ...cricket is no different and has a far bigger "punter base" than I have

There was a report that global gambling on cricket was worth $50 billion per year. Whether you like it or not if your actions threaten an industry that big then 7 years jail is garq all ...Bernie Madoff got 150 years

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26214
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 02 Nov 2011, 00:00

embee wrote:I love cricket

If the players at elite levels are playing not to their merits on purpose(or to order) ...be it for one ball , three balls or a whole match ...then it shakes my confidence in the game

If I have no confidence in the game why would I shell out $50 to $100 a day to watch a game live or bother watching it (and the associated ads that pay for the coverage) on tv ...or even bother looking up a result on cricinfo

If I do something minor in my job that shakes the confidence of my "punters" I get punished harshly for it ...cricket is no different and has a far bigger "punter base" than I have

There was a report that global gambling on cricket was worth $50 billion per year. Whether you like it or not if your actions threaten an industry that big then 7 years jail is garq all ...Bernie Madoff got 150 years

Quite
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 02 Nov 2011, 00:14

Punishment is very harsh

Have to wonder if the slump in PAK cricket from 2007 to 2010 was mainly due to fixing? Despite losing arguably the 2 finest bowlers in world cricket Pakistan have only lost 1 test match(while winning 4) since the spot fixing saga.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 02 Nov 2011, 00:18

PlanetPakistan wrote:Punishment is very harsh

Have to wonder if the slump in PAK cricket from 2007 to 2010 was mainly due to fixing? Despite losing arguably the 2 finest bowlers in world cricket Pakistan have only lost 1 test match(while winning 4) since the spot fixing saga.

The only punishment handed out is what the ICC has deemed fit to hand out. The Judge's decision is still pending. What is "harsh" about punishing cheats?
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 02 Nov 2011, 00:26

7 year thing is very harsh.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 02 Nov 2011, 00:29

PlanetPakistan wrote:7 year thing is very harsh.

That is a maximum and none of them have been sentenced yet - that will follow. But seriously, a custodial sentence is imperative if corruption is even going to start to be challenged.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 02 Nov 2011, 00:32

There are rumors that Afridi blew whistle after this game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/asia2010/engine/current/match/455231.html

PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 02 Nov 2011, 00:51

Basil wrote:

That is a maximum and none of them have been sentenced yet - that will follow. But seriously, a custodial sentence is imperative if corruption is even going to start to be challenged.

The youngster who co-operated would be most unlikely to get a custodial sentence

Asif guilty of one charge is likely to get a suspended sentence and a fine

Butt may get 6 months in the slammer.

Given the disgust being expressed in Stanland I expect the latter 2 would think 2ce before heading back to Islamanogood
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 02 Nov 2011, 05:46

G.Wood wrote:Perhaps you could transport them to the colonies.

Um, isn't that what transportation means?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 02 Nov 2011, 05:48

horace wrote:
Basil wrote:

The youngster who co-operated would be most unlikely to get a custodial sentence

Asif guilty of one charge is likely to get a suspended sentence and a fine

Butt may get 6 months in the slammer.

Given the disgust being expressed in Stanland I expect the latter 2 would think 2ce before heading back to Islamanogood

Disgust? They'll be back playing for Pakistan in a couple of years....
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 02 Nov 2011, 06:18

I would amazed if either go back there
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 02 Nov 2011, 06:34

There are some reports that each and every test match of Pak's Eng tour last year was fixed in some way.

Disgusting really. Makes you think is this why you follow cricket like religion? Wake up at odd hours to see cricketers in action? Celebrate when they take wickets or make runs or when they reach some milestone?

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 02 Nov 2011, 07:44

embee wrote:I love cricket

Sage.

(Not bad MB... not bad ol son! Well constructed.)

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed 02 Nov 2011, 08:38

Given it's multiple incidents involving (at least) three players it's clear it's no isolated occurrence, so I think Pakistan should have been suspended from international cricket pending a full investigation and an anti-corruption action plan.

Trouble is the other Asian countries wouldn't accept it as they're more interested in vote winning and maintaining their position of power.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 02 Nov 2011, 09:04

out of the $50 billion gambling industry probably 95% is illegal. gambling on cricket is banned in india and its neighbouring countries

so in essence butt may have led to losses amongst the mafia. which really is not something that generates sympathy or anger

7 years is a bit much. but a few months would 'maybe' deter others

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next