Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is match fixing rife in domestic cricket around the World?

+4
Merlin
PeterCS
embee
Henry
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is match fixing rife in domestic cricket around the World? Empty Is match fixing rife in domestic cricket around the World?

Post by Henry Sun 11 Mar 2012, 22:18

Well?

Now NZ is facing accusations of match fixing in its domestic cricket. This after the Mervyn Westfield/Danish Kaneria/Essex affair was exposed last month.

I would guess it's subject to much less scrutiny than international cricket, so organising a fix would be much easier.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Is match fixing rife in domestic cricket around the World? Empty Re: Is match fixing rife in domestic cricket around the World?

Post by Henry Sun 11 Mar 2012, 22:21

And this from journeyman NZ cricketer Ian O'Brien on Twitter-

"Phone has been going mental this morning. Radio, newspaper and TV all wanting answers to the latest fixing claim. All the same questions..."Does it happen?" What do you think? "Where?" Wherever cricket is on TV "By who? NZers?" Can't say, naive to think not "Names?" No chance

Hmm.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Is match fixing rife in domestic cricket around the World? Empty Re: Is match fixing rife in domestic cricket around the World?

Post by embee Mon 12 Mar 2012, 00:41

Match fixing can be the only explanation for the 2011/12 Ryobi Cup winners ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 12 Mar 2012, 02:42

No match fixed for today.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 12 Mar 2012, 09:33

Is match fixing rife in domestic cricket around the World?

It is in Essex.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 12 Mar 2012, 09:48

They Effixed all their matchif.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by kkf Mon 12 Mar 2012, 16:42

Henry wrote:Well?

Now NZ is facing accusations of match fixing in its domestic cricket. This after the Mervyn Westfield/Danish Kaneria/Essex affair was exposed last month.

I would guess it's subject to much less scrutiny than international cricket, so organising a fix would be much easier.

I doubt it is in the West Indies. I don't think it is important enough to do that and I doubt there will be that much money to be made. But I don't gamble alot so it's not something I'll know much about.

kkf

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2007-12-27
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 12 Mar 2012, 17:48

I wouldn't think it's the legal betting that's would be the major problem though. It's the illegal ones that are the problem.

IPL, BPL and 2020s(oh the shock), county cricket, world cup semi final, some third rate actress I haven't heard of has also been named.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 12 Mar 2012, 18:00

Hmmm, you say that about the WI but county cricket's not important either... but I don't reckon it's rife anywhere TBH.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 12 Mar 2012, 18:06

It could be rife in a situation where the potential income from bookies is high and the 'proper' earnings could be meagre.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by kkf Mon 12 Mar 2012, 18:09

tricycle wrote:I wouldn't think it's the legal betting that's would be the major problem though. It's the illegal ones that are the problem.

Maybe. And it is also possible I am just naive because it is not something I know much about. But even if I wanted to legally bet on a cricket game I don't know where I would do that in Trinidad. Maybe it's different in other islands but I just have a hard time envisioning someone betting on a match much less fixing one in our crappy FC cricket.

kkf

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2007-12-27
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 12 Mar 2012, 18:22

Aye, I can't think 4 day cricket would have ever been much of a problem. Exposure has a bit to do with regards to this topic. I don't think there's as much of a risk in WI now as there may have been in the Stanford era, which was fairly well hyped.

It can't only be subcontinental bookies as well, as NZ cricket is never aired here and if they're implicated, it's really unlikely to be Indian as the market is zero (unlike county OD cricket and Australian OD). Or they could be subcontinental bookies but it's unlikely that it would be subcontinental punters, now I'm confused.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 13 Mar 2012, 02:47

What does your typical first class cricketer earn? About US $70,000 a year?

If a bookie comes along with enough cash it's easy to see how they could be tempted.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 13 Mar 2012, 03:43

Apart from domestic exposure, 4 day cricket is largely ignored. We get one CC match a year, used to get (or possibly will still have) one shield match a year and that's all the overseas 4 day cricket we get. I'd envisage it to be not too different in other parts of the world. So, I believe that apart from domestic illegal betting, there would be little likelihood of foreign bookies doing underhand deals when the market is basically none. 40 over cricket, 50 over cricket and twenty20s on the other hand.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 15 May 2012, 18:44

IPL council suspends five players

The IPL governing council has suspended five players named by a sting operation alleging corruption until an inquiry into the accusations is conducted. TP Sudhindra (Deccan Chargers), Mohnish Mishra (Pune Warriors), Shalabh Srivastava (Kings XI Punjab), Amit Yadav (Kings XI Punjab) and Abhinav Bali were suspended, according to IPL chairman Rajiv Shukla.

"The above players would not be entitled to participate in any cricket match played under the aegis of the BCCI while under suspension," N Srinivasan, the BCCI president, said in a statement.

Shukla said Ravi Sawani, the former head of the ICC's anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU), will conduct the inquiry. "The conversation [in the sting] is about other matches also, which are not IPL, or in previous IPLs," Shukla said after the meeting on Tuesday. "After due consideration, the BCCI president has decided to have an inquiry for which a commissioner has been appointed, Mr Ravi Sawani. He will be conducting the preliminary inquiry. His report will be sent to the disciplinary committee."

Srivastava, one of the players accused by the sting, said he was not guilty. "I fail to understand whatever is being said about spot-fixing. Also if they [a TV channel) are showing all the video clips, why aren't they showing the clip where I allegedly am demanding Rs. 10 lakh?" he told NDTV. "The voice in that telephonic conversation is not mine. It is very easy to frame anyone with a doctored audio clip."

India TV, a television channel, showed footage of a player bowling a big no-ball in a limited-overs match and played a recording of a phone conversation that it said was of a current IPL player negotiating a fee for bowling a no-ball. It also had at least three players on camera allegedly seeking more lucrative deals - including extra money that would have violated their IPL contracts - with other league franchises through an undercover reporter posing as a sports agent.

Oo er.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 15 May 2012, 18:56

Been big news round these parts. The tv channel, India tv, has its parallels to NOTW, it's shite, but loves it's sting operations.

As a possible scandal, it's not really much of a shock.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 15 May 2012, 19:02

It's a shame. The more stories that come out, the more people are going to mistrust the entire cricketing world.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 15 May 2012, 19:09

Aye, it could be an issue, but there have been allegations against the tournament already, and rules like uncapped players not eligible for more than Thirty thousand dollars is just asking for trouble.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 15 May 2012, 19:14

Aye, true. It it more likely to cause a bit of professional jealousy. At least it's no-one big. I feel that the bigger the player, the bigger the controversy, the bigger amount of harm done to the game.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 15 May 2012, 19:21

Yup, while Westfield and Srivatsava like allegations damage the game, it's definitely not comparable to international cricketers getting caught in it. Mind, the channel went on to make more allegations possibly involving owners too. Certainly can't make a mountain out of that mole hill yet, but it would be silly to ignore it.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 15 May 2012, 19:29

Bloody hell. That'd be huge. HUGE huge. Let's hope to hell it's a load of bollocks...
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 15 May 2012, 19:34

I forget, they alleged that fixing took place in FC matches too.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 16 May 2012, 12:22

yes. supposedly the player in question agreed to a bit of spot fixing every 50 or so matches - ipl, fc, mysore premier league (wtf?!?) and if he ever got selected, international

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 05 Sep 2012, 03:35

Bangle spot fixing ban

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 05 Sep 2012, 07:54

Damn, that's going to ruin the BPL's credibility.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next