Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Lions tour of Australia

+7
beamer
lardbucket
LeFromage
JGK
horace
embee
Henry
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

England Lions tour of Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: England Lions tour of Australia

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:36

I think it was 'anyone but Monty'. SKerrigan was mentioned.

Yeah, we love our dobbers. Our conditions just lend to not pushing oneself, it seems. Our bowlers rest on their laurels. It's a sad state of affairs. Once more, I'll go back to the bulking up thing. The likes of Woakes have a solid frame, but then you see someone like Coulter-Nile - about a stone more muscle and he really gets through his action, the likes of Woakes lollop up and dob it down - I hate it. Conditions bullying is shite, whichever way it is done.

The likes of Anderson and Bresnan should be concerned, if they've recognised they're down in pace, they should be looking to rectify it, because they're nowhere near the threat they are when in proper flow.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

England Lions tour of Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: England Lions tour of Australia

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:37

As for Topley, you're right, he was wanging it down with more effort - I saw some of him in FC and he just seemed more powderpuff. Reckons he saves it for the short form.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:50

Jamie Overton was the REALLY promising one from the under 19 WC. Got it up to around 94mph against the Aussies. Scared the shit out of them. They've picked the wrong Overton here- Craig is an 80 mph dobber and handy number 7/8 batsman.

Twats.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:01

Yeah, weird one, that. Goes to show that they love a good dob. They get turned on by that slowly but surely approach.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:37

Yeah, who knows what they're thinking. They actually showed more faith in Bressy AFTER his drop in pace than they did before it. And they dropped Meaker from the ODI squad in favour of 82mph dobber Harris. It's getting f*cked up. Jimmy seemed to have realised in India that he needed to lift his game. He was consistently bowling mid to high 80s, and surprise surprise, he was looking threatening again, even on dead pitches.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 07 Feb 2013, 14:14

Henry wrote:Yeah, who knows what they're thinking. They actually showed more faith in Bressy AFTER his drop in pace than they did before it. And they dropped Meaker from the ODI squad in favour of 82mph dobber Harris. It's getting f*cked up. Jimmy seemed to have realised in India that he needed to lift his game. He was consistently bowling mid to high 80s, and surprise surprise, he was looking threatening again, even on dead pitches.

Aye, in comparison to the SA Tests he looked immeasurably more threatening - let's hope he really has recognised.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 07 Feb 2013, 20:08

Henry wrote:Yeah, who knows what they're thinking. They actually showed more faith in Bressy AFTER his drop in pace than they did before it. And they dropped Meaker from the ODI squad in favour of 82mph dobber Harris. It's getting f*cked up. Jimmy seemed to have realised in India that he needed to lift his game. He was consistently bowling mid to high 80s, and surprise surprise, he was looking threatening again, even on dead pitches.

The last time I saw Meaker play - a T20 in India before Christmas - he wasn't quick at all. In the 83-85mph range.

It seems to be a case of the more time you spend in the England set up, the slower you become.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 07 Feb 2013, 22:22

We clearly don't go for the organised crime drug programme for our young fast bowlers in this country... well, if we do it's the wrong kind of drugs!

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Feb 2013, 01:38

a mate who watched the game yesterday said that "not one of the English colonel mustard military mediums" would get a game for an Oz State team
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 08 Feb 2013, 02:54

horace wrote:a mate who watched the game yesterday said that "not one of the English colonel mustard military mediums" would get a game for an Oz State team

Your mate needs to remember the Sozzies are still a state team ....
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26216
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Feb 2013, 03:59

I did mention the jellies...and he said, "they made Quiney look like an in form batsman"
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 08 Feb 2013, 04:46

horace wrote:a mate who watched the game yesterday said that "not one of the English colonel mustard military mediums" would get a game for an Oz State team

Meh, that kind of cocky speak from Aussies had some resonance 15 years ago. Now it just looks stupid.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Feb 2013, 04:49

meh...reflects more on the poor quality squad the pomgolians sent out here...suspect some have not yet got their full County caps
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 08 Feb 2013, 06:54

horace wrote:meh...reflects more on the poor quality squad the pomgolians sent out here...suspect some have not yet got their full County caps

Not many counties "cap" players anymore - Yorkshire might though.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Feb 2013, 06:57

Basil wrote:
horace wrote:meh...reflects more on the poor quality squad the pomgolians sent out here...suspect some have not yet got their full County caps

thanx...did not know that...I liked the tradition
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 08 Feb 2013, 07:02

horace wrote:
Basil wrote:

I don't know how it works for other counties, but someone making his debut for Worcs gets his club colours and the number on his shirt reflects how many other players before him have played for the county.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Feb 2013, 07:04

Basil wrote:
horace wrote:
Basil wrote:

I don't know how it works for other counties, but someone making his debut for Worcs gets his club colours and the number on his shirt reflects how many other players before him have played for the county.

....and no doubt a pound of pears..
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 08 Feb 2013, 07:07

horace wrote:
Basil wrote:
horace wrote:
Basil wrote:

....and no doubt a pound of pears..

That's all I'd pay some of them after last year's veil of tears
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 08 Feb 2013, 07:32

We only 'cap' players if they've given us good service - think SPeters is getting one this year - his benefit year as well.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 08 Feb 2013, 07:35

I think it was Durham who were first not to cap their players.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:26

this is a pity..I like the tradition of capping...i think English counties were the first to do this...long before the arch ceremonies of Int cricket teams
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:29

horace wrote:this is a pity..I like the tradition of capping...i think English counties were the first to do this...long before the arch ceremonies of Int cricket teams

I agree: I remember when we won the championship in 1989 - two players were capped on the players' balcony at just about the same time as the trophy was presented. Happy days.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:36

time gone by Bas
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:43

great day in melbourne...a one dayer is on at the junction oval between the visitiing lion cubs and a Vics team - of whom only a couple have played 1st class cricket
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:52

WTF?? Australia has a Ryan Sidebottom of their own?! Laughing
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next