Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Australia sink as low as the Windies?

+19
Hass
G.Wood
Chivalry Augustus
pinger
lardbucket
Big Dog
horace
skully
beamer
Gary 111
Brass Monkey
baggygreen
embee
JKLever
taipan
PeterCS
WideWally
Red
Henry
23 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Will Australia sink as low as the Windies? - Page 4 Empty Re: Will Australia sink as low as the Windies?

Post by taipan Wed 24 Jul 2013, 13:41

Yep, I was referring the present squad. If he can clear some of them out it will help.

Of course, that would have helped Arthur as well.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Will Australia sink as low as the Windies? - Page 4 Empty Re: Will Australia sink as low as the Windies?

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 24 Jul 2013, 13:41

AUS have a lot of pace bowling talent, their batsmen will get better if they follow my idea(read the other threads for my idea)

The Pakistani leg spinner should be given a chance too
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 24 Jul 2013, 13:47

PeterCS wrote:I agree with taips' comment re: Lehmann.

Except he doesn't exactly have to be a miracle worker to "get results". He just needs a bunch of unspoilt-brat players, who will commit themselves to technical application, rather than self-obsessing, bellyaching, tattoo choices and bitching about their opportunities.
To be fair though, that would be a miracle Wink 

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:22

Henry wrote:
The whole "Lehmann's a great bloke who commands respect....there's a great team spirit and they're all having fun" thing will start to wear thin very quickly with Aussie fans if Australia don't start winning soon. They'll want to see actual technical improvements, rather than just smiling faces (which isn't a good look when you're losing)

Lehmann smiling at Lord's...

Will Australia sink as low as the Windies? - Page 4 317654-darren-lehmann

Will Australia sink as low as the Windies? - Page 4 4832592-3x2-700x467

Will Australia sink as low as the Windies? - Page 4 Darren-lehmann_2624222b

Hass

Will Australia sink as low as the Windies? - Page 4 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:23

Henry wrote:
I have no doubt Lehmann is a great guy, but I suspect he's better off working with a successful, established team rather than a struggling one...

Or Allan Border. He captained a team from the depths of despair in the early to mid 80s, to a world cup win in 1987, to close to the second best team in the world from 1989 until 1994. He knows his stuff.

Or.....or......Duncan Fletcher?...  But would Australia allow a floppy-faced old Zimbabwean complete control over Australian cricket in the way English cricket allowed him complete control? The collective ego would probably say "no way."

I don't quite get your beef Trev? Darren Lehmann is an exceptionally qualified candidate. You seem to be casting around for someone else just because. I don't think anyone thinks he's a miracle worker. I mean, he's only been in the job for a few weeks for Christ's sake!

It's worth remembering that Allan Border did not start out as a strong leader. He was made captain against his wishes because there was no one else. After Australia lost to New Zealand at home in 1985/86 Border threatened to quit unless he had the unconditional support of his team.

It was at this point Australia appointed Bobby Simpson as coach and he deserves as much credit as Border for turning things around. It didn't happen overnight - things remained horrible until the 1987 World Cup.

Australia doesn't need to look overseas for its coach because it has a very strong pool to draw from on these shores. That's not an ego thing - it's just the way it is. Coaches aren't just technicians helping players right their technical failings, they are leaders in their own right. I don't think it makes Australians xenophobic to prefer an Australian to be in charge of the Australian team. A former Australian Test cricketer can ask things of his players that others simply cannot.

Hass

Will Australia sink as low as the Windies? - Page 4 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by baggygreen Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:47

Pff you young whippersnapper Poms sticking in the knife when Australia are down. I had reservations about Boof's appointment long before all these proclamations.
baggygreen
baggygreen

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2012-10-11
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:55

"You young whippersnapper Poms". Do you mean Trevor? Or Horace?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:56

Or me?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 24 Jul 2013, 14:57

Hass wrote:
Henry wrote:
I have no doubt Lehmann is a great guy, but I suspect he's better off working with a successful, established team rather than a struggling one...

Or Allan Border. He captained a team from the depths of despair in the early to mid 80s, to a world cup win in 1987, to close to the second best team in the world from 1989 until 1994. He knows his stuff.

Or.....or......Duncan Fletcher?...  But would Australia allow a floppy-faced old Zimbabwean complete control over Australian cricket in the way English cricket allowed him complete control? The collective ego would probably say "no way."

I don't quite get your beef Trev? Darren Lehmann is an exceptionally qualified candidate. You seem to be casting around for someone else just because. I don't think anyone thinks he's a miracle worker. I mean, he's only been in the job for a few weeks for Christ's sake!

It's worth remembering that Allan Border did not start out as a strong leader. He was made captain against his wishes because there was no one else. After Australia lost to New Zealand at home in 1985/86 Border threatened to quit unless he had the unconditional support of his team.

It was at this point Australia appointed Bobby Simpson as coach and he deserves as much credit as Border for turning things around. It didn't happen overnight - things remained horrible until the 1987 World Cup.

Australia doesn't need to look overseas for its coach because it has a very strong pool to draw from on these shores. That's not an ego thing - it's just the way it is. Coaches aren't just technicians helping players right their technical failings, they are leaders in their own right. I don't think it makes Australians xenophobic to prefer an Australian to be in charge of the Australian team. A former Australian Test cricketer can ask things of his players that others simply cannot.

Proves my point really.

So realistically, who is in the "very strong pool"? Was Tim Nielsen a part of that? Who else? Lehmann....and? Bear in mind that a coach needs to do more than say "come on lads, let's get out there and DO THIS!"

If there's so much coaching talent to draw from, then why aren't they drawing from it?

They conducted quite an extensive search for Tim Nielsen's replacement in the wake of the Argus report, and they decided that Mickey Arthur was the man to lead Australia back to the top. 18 months later, it seems they panicked after a few bad results and off-field issues and made him a scapegoat for the failings of a much wider and more established base.

Last edited by Henry on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 15:01; edited 1 time in total
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 24 Jul 2013, 15:00

I've done nothing but lift Aus while they're down. I'm like Motherf*cking Theresa
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 24 Jul 2013, 15:10

You're Fred Flintoff, bending over Lee and mumbling:

Any chance of a BJ now, Brett? Spose not.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 24 Jul 2013, 15:21

No - I'm full to the brim with altru-f*cking-ism. Qunt!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by baggygreen Wed 24 Jul 2013, 16:17

So come on, who are the alternative coaches if Aus can't pick an Aussie and want to get rid of Arthur?
baggygreen
baggygreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 24 Jul 2013, 16:22

baggygreen wrote:So come on, who are the alternative coaches if Aus can't pick an Aussie and want to get rid of Arthur?

John Wright.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 24 Jul 2013, 17:12

But John Wright's a good man.

Hass wrote:I don't quite get your beef Trev? Darren Lehmann is an exceptionally qualified candidate. You seem to be casting around for someone else just because. I don't think anyone thinks he's a miracle worker. I mean, he's only been in the job for a few weeks for Christ's sake!

I don't think that the last para holds true. Surely anyone who is deemed to be in a position to do the job well is worthy. Though not the same at all in that there aren't many good Indian coaches suited to coaching the national team, we used to say that a foreigner wouldn't know how to manage Indians before John Wright was hired, and as has turned out our two best coaches have been foreigners. An Australian may well be best suited to the job, but I don't think that just being an Australian test player should be count over another country's who's apparently equally qualified.

Despite all the escapegoatTM claims, Arthur's time was a failure for washing dirty linen in the public, much like Greg Chappell did for India, and when the results didn't meet requirements... It would also be wrong to say that nothing positive would come out of Arthur's tenure, if not conspicuous immediately, then could be in the future. For one, players will likely have learnt about homework, to whatever extent.. Maybe Lehmann could be Australia's Simpson/Kirsten, maybe not, but far too soon to write him off.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 24 Jul 2013, 18:48

its funny. our worst coach was australian. the kiwi and the saffie did very well. jury out on the zimbot, not so pretty so far

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 24 Jul 2013, 19:09

I think old Fletch-dog is finally allowed to stamp his mark on the side.. the oldies don't even warrant selection or have retired.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 24 Jul 2013, 21:28

The One wrote:its funny. our worst coach was australian. the kiwi and the saffie did very well. jury out on the zimbot, not so pretty so far

I can't accept this. Surely an ex Aussie test player is better than anyone else.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Thu 25 Jul 2013, 01:19

baggygreen wrote:
G.Wood wrote:Chivy makes a reasonable amount of sense.  

Australia's strength used to be the quality of the Sheffield Shield competition.  Particularly that there were plenty of bowlers near test class playing most of the games (eg Kasper, Bichel). This made the step up from 1st class to tests much easier for batsmen.

But these days the bowling has dropped right off with the best bowlers either away playing (tests, ODIs, IPL etc), rested or injured.  On top of this most of the games are played on roady roads.  You just don't have to be that good of a batsman to score runs.  

It is little wonder that our batsmen struggle when they come up against the likes of Jimmy or a spinner that gets some spin.

That situation does not look like changing any time soon so it will be quite a few years before we get back up to a standard of challenging the top 3.
Bird, Faulkner, Butterworth, Sayer, Putland, Richardson, Hazelwood all say hi.

That's good because I was thinking of them when I wrote that.

That lot in the same class as Jimmy - funny
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 25 Jul 2013, 02:00

taipan wrote:
The One wrote:its funny. our worst coach was australian. the kiwi and the saffie did very well. jury out on the zimbot, not so pretty so far

I can't accept this. Surely an ex Aussie test player is better than anyone else.

may have helped stop the famous yarpie chokes
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 25 Jul 2013, 02:07

G.Wood wrote:
baggygreen wrote:

Australia's strength used to be the quality of the Sheffield Shield competition.  Particularly that there were plenty of bowlers near test class playing most of the games (eg Kasper, Bichel). This made the step up from 1st class to tests much easier for batsmen.

But these days the bowling has dropped right off with the best bowlers either away playing (tests, ODIs, IPL etc), rested or injured.  On top of this most of the games are played on roady roads.  You just don't have to be that good of a batsman to score runs.  

It is little wonder that our batsmen struggle when they come up against the likes of Jimmy or a spinner that gets some spin.

That situation does not look like changing any time soon so it will be quite a few years before we get back up to a standard of challenging the top 3.

If they're having a good day and he's on the bottom of the Anderson cycle ....
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26214
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by baggygreen Thu 25 Jul 2013, 02:18

G.Wood wrote:
baggygreen wrote:

Nothing to do with Jimmy. Unless of course, you were insulting him in that you don't think Anderson is test quality but I thought it was Red who was covering that angle.
baggygreen
baggygreen

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 25 Jul 2013, 02:41

We've never recovered from Joe Dawes retiring
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26214
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Thu 25 Jul 2013, 02:42

I was using Jimmy as an example of Test Class. But I guess Johnson played tests and that lot would be in his class
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 25 Jul 2013, 02:49

G.Wood wrote:I was using Jimmy as an example of Test Class.  But I guess Johnson played tests and that lot would  be in his class

The crazed Midge was on the radio spruiking his form and that he is prepared for a callup to the Test team...

just what we need - a bowler whose skills and discipline match the batting expertise of nix, fuse, schoolgirl, haddit and the gcs...it is a wonder that he does not play for NSW
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next