Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This about Swann (or other offie) being "dangerous v left-handers"

+6
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
Basil
taipan
tricycle
PeterCS
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

This about Swann (or other offie) being "dangerous v  left-handers" Empty This about Swann (or other offie) being "dangerous v left-handers"

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 17:56

When did this creep into cricket commentaries and articles?

Okay, the "offbreak and variations" type of bowling is clearly handy to left-handers, particularly as it opens up a wider range of edge-of-the-bat v LBW/bowled variations, depending on degree of spin imparted (straight ball, arm ball, tweak, big rip).

Likewise, a SLA might particularly lick his lips when bowling to right-handers.

But since when have spinners been anointed as expets and grandmasters purely on the basis of bowling to batsmen one way round or the other?

I'd have thought a true expert of spin would be expected to ask questions of ANY batsman.

Have I missed something?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

This about Swann (or other offie) being "dangerous v  left-handers" Empty Re: This about Swann (or other offie) being "dangerous v left-handers"

Post by tricycle Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:18

Is it an English media thing with Swann being class to left handers?

Without scouring statsguru, don't think Herath or Ajmal, even with his elbow, have a major discrepancy in his record between left and right. Don't remember it in their broadcasts/print.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

This about Swann (or other offie) being "dangerous v  left-handers" Empty Re: This about Swann (or other offie) being "dangerous v left-handers"

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:22

They do go on about it quite a bit, esp in relation to Swann.

It sometimes sounds a bit like an excuse when he is not bowling his most effective spells against right-handers.

I wonder if Danny or someone can extract some relevant data, comparing RHB v LHB stats, if these exist?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:42

53% of Swann's wickets are RH
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:49

I'd be interested to know what proportion of Swann's deliveries were sent down to right and left handers respectively.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:58

14 257 balls in total. Can't find a split
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:12

In that case, it seems the pundits should find a new topic to burble about!

Thanks for the stats input, taipan.

(Not sure he can have delivered quite as many to LHBs as RHBs, if that's what you meant - but the tendency seems clear enough that there is little difference.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:16

PeterCS wrote:When did this creep into cricket commentaries and articles?

Okay, the "offbreak and variations" type of bowling is clearly handy to left-handers, particularly as it opens up a wider range of edge-of-the-bat v LBW/bowled variations, depending on degree of spin imparted (straight ball, arm ball, tweak, big rip).

But since when have spinners been anointed as expets and grandmasters purely on the basis of bowling to batsmen one way round or the other?

I'd have thought a true expert of spin would be expected to ask questions of ANY batsman.

Have I missed something?
I think the assumption is that the ball spinning away from the bat is the more dangerous proposition.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:18

I don't think it proves anything either way as Ajmal averages 65%. I would guess that the batsman split is probably 70/30 RH to LH. So Swann would be below average against RH.

However Swann isn't prepare to chuck in order to throw in the doosra which is more dangerous to RH. So we can argue Ajmal's stats are also flawed.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:26

Basil wrote:
PeterCS wrote:When did this creep into cricket commentaries and articles?

Have I missed something?
I think the assumption is that the ball spinning away from the bat is the more dangerous proposition.
Aye Baz, I tried to imply that in the second sentence I wrote. Though obviously, a predictable sort of spin-away would not generally be so dangerous as a mix of variations of speed, pitch, angle of spin (or no spin / topspin, etc), which was my whole sentence, so to speak.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:30

I think Swann's record bowling to LHB is noticeably better than to RHB.

I couldn't find the current numbers, but found this cricinfo article from 2012, comparing Swann and Ajmal.

(Feb 2012)
Swann v right-handers: 78 wickets @ 36.66, s/r 67.85
Ajmal v right-handers: 65 wickets @ 25.80, s/r 57.34
Swann v left-handers: 84 wickets @ 21.05, s/r 48.33
Ajmal v left-handers: 35 wickets @ 30.08, s/r 72.14

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/551882.html
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:35

Well to change it up a bit. Warne has 76% of his dismissals against RH, so that would support the contention of the ball spinning away being more dangerous.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:36

taipan wrote:I don't think it proves anything either way as Ajmal averages 65%. I would guess that the batsman split is probably 70/30 RH to LH. So Swann would be below average against RH.

However Swann isn't prepare to chuck in order to throw in the doosra which is more dangerous to RH. So we can argue Ajmal's stats are also flawed.
Yes, the "finger-spin wrong un" is clearly a further trick up the sleeve (or rather, in the hand). But as is often observed (and as you indicate), it is normally regarded as difficult to bowl that other type of "wrong un" with controlled effect, unless it is a ..... well, a "WRONG un".
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:37

Why do they talk about GP Swann versus left-handers?

The following analysis is bollocks, because he's taken 245 Test wickets and these stats will be tallied up to 248 wickets. But, it should be accurate enough.

Hand

Wickets( % )

Average

S/R

Right

132( 53.2 )

Left

116( 46.8 )

Given that, apparently, 24% of batsmen bat left-handed, if you boil it down he gets almost twice the chance of getting a RHB out yet he takes approximately 30% longer to take a right-handed wicket, you can see why it gets mentioned.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:42

Brass Monkey wrote:Why do they talk about GP Swann versus left-handers?

The following analysis is bollocks, because he's taken 245 Test wickets and these stats will be tallied up to 248 wickets. But, it should be accurate enough.

Hand

Wickets( % )

Average

S/R

Right

132( 53.2 )

Left

116( 46.8 )

Given that, apparently, 24% of batsmen bat left-handed, if you boil it down he gets almost twice the chance of getting a RHB out yet he takes approximately 30% longer to take a right-handed wicket, you can see why it gets mentioned.
For interest sakes, where does the 24% come from?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:43

If so, is it noticeably different from other offies? (perhaps excluding Ajmal, who is a more miscellaneous type of bowler, from this argument).

Lyon, for obvious example. Though his shorter career to date might not produce very decisive figures.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:44

taipan wrote:
Some BBC article about batsmen at the last world cup. Rough estimate.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:45

Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:
We were discussing it the other day. Last me see if I can find the discussion.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:46

taipan wrote:Well to change it up a bit. Warne has 76% of his dismissals against RH, so that would support the contention of the ball spinning away being more dangerous.
But then the stats are muddied by the fact that Ashley Giles took 100% of his dismissals with balls that neither span in or away from batsmen.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:50

The difference between Dello's figures (which must actually predate Jan 2012) and Monkey's seems to suggest the discrepancy has been diminishing quite a bit in the course of the last 83 wickets (a notable confluence).

Interesting stuff - my thanks to all three who have unearthed some evidence, however inconsistent the conclusions might be from the three bases!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:50

taipan wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:
taipan wrote:
We were discussing it the other day. Last me see if I can find the discussion.
There is a link on the Cook Captaincy thread.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:51

PeterCS wrote:If so, is it noticeably different from other offies? (perhaps excluding Ajmal, who is a more miscellaneous type of bowler, from this argument).

Lyon, for obvious example. Though his shorter career to date might not produce very decisive figures.

Again, sorry for the statistics, they're wrong - I can't be f*cked to find out where, but this analysis is for 87 wickets when actually Lyon has 84.

Hand

Wickets( % )

Average

S/R

Right

65 ( 74.7 )

Left

22( 25.3 )

Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:52

Dello wrote:
taipan wrote:Well to change it up a bit. Warne has 76% of his dismissals against RH, so that would support the contention of the ball spinning away being more dangerous.
But then the stats are muddied by the fact that Ashley Giles took 100% of his dismissals with balls that neither span in or away from batsmen.
I DEFINITELY saw one of Gilo's turn - must have been ... 2004?

I think it may have hit a little bit of sh*t on the pitch.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:52

PeterCS wrote:The difference between Dello's figures (which must actually predate Jan 2012) and Monkey's seems to suggest the discrepancy has been diminishing quite a bit in the course of the last 83 wickets (a notable confluence).

Interesting stuff - my thanks to all three who have unearthed some evidence, however inconsistent the conclusions might be from the three bases!
I think the % of RH to LH remained constant if my mental arithmetic is correct.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:53

PeterCS wrote:
I'm not confident in the accuracy of my statistics, not to the most succinct of levels, but it gives a rough enough guide.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next