Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woakes and Kerrigan- Should England's selectors be sacked?

+13
Growler
PeterCS
lardbucket
beamer
Big Dog
Merlin
Brass Monkey
WideWally
JGK
horace
taipan
embee
Henry
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Woakes and Kerrigan- Should England's selectors be sacked? - Page 2 Empty Re: Woakes and Kerrigan- Should England's selectors be sacked?

Post by LeFromage Thu 22 Aug 2013, 14:26

Brass Monkey wrote:

Facts are that Kerrigan and Woakes have been picking up wickets for fun...
Woakes has just 27 wickets this season.

To put that in some context, Monty Panesar - having a terrible season - has 28. Foetus Jamie Overton has 31. Jack Shantry, dobber extraordinaire, has 33. All rounder Ben Stokes has 34. David Willey has 40. Chris Jordan has 53.

For a new ball bowler, Woakes' record of 2.7 wickets per match is pretty dire.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Woakes and Kerrigan- Should England's selectors be sacked? - Page 2 Empty Re: Woakes and Kerrigan- Should England's selectors be sacked?

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 14:40

Dello wrote:
For a new ball bowler, Woakes' record of 2.7 wickets per match is pretty dire.
Sorry, yeah. Should've said that he's been injured. Bowled 219 overs this season. Average 22.77, S/R 48.8.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Aug 2013, 17:48

Let's see what they throw up for Australia.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:03

PeterCS wrote:Let's see what they throw up for Australia.
Puke Shite?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:09

Possibly.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:11

I think they should take a gamble on a raw quick for the Ashes tour. One of either Chris Jordan, Tymal Mills, or Jamie Overton.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:12

It was mentioned a few years ago that nobody called Luke has played Test cricket... we can't let the Snoozers get in first with Ronchi, can we?

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:16

I think this is one race we should try to lose.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:30

I like Luke Wright. I think he'd fare better at 6 in Test Matches than a lot of the recent pretenders.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Woakes and Kerrigan- Should England's selectors be sacked? - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:32

I think he could be a very decent ODI number six, but test matches? Nah.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:42

Chivalry Augustus wrote:I like Luke Wright. I think he'd fare better at 6 in Test Matches than a lot of the recent pretenders.
No,no, no.

I was probably the first on here to champion Lucky for England T20s and perhaps ODIs.

But let's not stick him in for Tests.

Bairstow may have been questionable, Woakes certainly seems erroneous.

But two wrongs don't make L Wright.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:52

Gotta laugh at this thread. Trev champions every youngster under the sun for England honours, constantly wanting the latest 'form' player to be picked.... Then as soon as England do this he calls for their heads.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:52

I'm with Chiv. He's much more adept than the likes of Woakes and Bairstow.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:53

Henry wrote:I think they should take a gamble on a raw quick for the Ashes tour. One of either Chris Jordan, Tymal Mills, or Jamie Overton.
How quick are Jordan and Overton? Any quicker than the raw quick Woakes who has bowled 86mph to generally little effect this match.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:54

Gary 111 wrote:Gotta laugh at this thread. Trev champions every youngster under the sun for England honours, constantly wanting the latest 'form' player to be picked.... Then as soon as England do this he calls for their heads.
Rubbish. I've called for certain players to be given a go, but not the two that they picked. At least I wouldn't pick the entire Yorkshire XI for England....
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:55

Trev. You called for Kerrigan in 2011. You called for Kerrigan this year.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Aug 2013, 19:02

Brass Monkey wrote:Trev. You called for Kerrigan in 2011. You called for Kerrigan this year.
I was calling for them to develop a young spinner to eventually take over from Swann, as Monty is about the same age, and has now developed a taste for the whisky, so was always unlikely (even before his troubles) that he would have a long run in the side once Swann retired.

Kerrigan has shown some ability, but he's bottled it big time here. You can't predict that will or wont happen. I always though Briggs had a better, smoother action, anyway.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 19:10

Henry wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:Trev. You called for Kerrigan in 2011. You called for Kerrigan this year.
I was calling for them to develop a young spinner to eventually take over from Swann, as Monty is about the same age, and has now developed a taste for the whisky, so was always unlikely (even before his troubles) that he would have a long run in the side once Swann retired.

Kerrigan has shown some ability, but he's bottled it big time here. You can't predict that will or wont happen. I always though Briggs had a better, smoother action, anyway.
Backtrack #2833

Henry wrote:
And I see Simon Kerrigan's in the wickets again. Seeing as Monty has been pretty poor this season, perhaps Kerrigan has leap-frogged him as England's second spinner?
One of many examples, if I could be arsed.

Looks to me like Kerrigan is the second spinner in this match.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Aug 2013, 19:14

Brass Monkey wrote:
Henry wrote:

Backtrack #2833

Henry wrote:
And I see Simon Kerrigan's in the wickets again. Seeing as Monty has been pretty poor this season, perhaps Kerrigan has leap-frogged him as England's second spinner?
One of many examples, if I could be arsed.

Looks to me like Kerrigan is the second spinner in this match.
I was implying "In the eyes of the selectors."
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 19:16

Oh, if I could be bothered to trawl. I never 'win' anyway - the Kartikeyan abilities are strong in you, paduan.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 22 Aug 2013, 19:17

Monty's 3 years younger than Swanny, so could still be his "successor" on a short term basis... but if he can't sort himself out off the field the window of opportunity will be a short one.

I wonder if they will favour a spinning all-rounder like Fat Sam for the squad if they don't take him?

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 22 Aug 2013, 19:22

Monty's clearly the second best spinner in the land, but the results just aren't there. He's earned some sort of grace from the selectors, but he hasn't really performed since 2011.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 22 Aug 2013, 19:24

He did OK in India, but barring that, fair enough. Perhaps no coincidence that reports suggest it was two years ago his marriage broke up?

He could still hold down a place by being the "least shit" post-Swann, if he's sober and focused.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Aug 2013, 19:25

beamer wrote:Monty's 3 years younger than Swanny, so could still be his "successor" on a short term basis... but if he can't sort himself out off the field the window of opportunity will be a short one.

I wonder if they will favour a spinning all-rounder like Fat Sam for the squad if they don't take him?
Moeen Ali might be a better bet than Fat Sam these days.

Let's be honest- They almost certainly wont play two spinners in Australia at any ground. So the only way another spinner comes into the equation is if Swann gets injured. That considered, Tredwell is probably the best bet as the back up. He wont spin through them, but he'll be solid, reliable, and is a useful number 8/9 batsman.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 22 Aug 2013, 20:34

Henry wrote:
beamer wrote:Monty's 3 years younger than Swanny, so could still be his "successor" on a short term basis... but if he can't sort himself out off the field the window of opportunity will be a short one.

Moeen Ali might be a better bet than Fat Sam these days.

Let's be honest- They almost certainly wont play two spinners in Australia at any ground. So the only way another spinner comes into the equation is if Swann gets injured. That considered, Tredwell is probably the best bet as the back up. He wont spin through them, but he'll be solid, reliable, and is a useful number 8/9 batsman.
I can see them going down that route if they're not satisfied about Monty's mental state. Doubt if Moeen will be picked, but if he gets another couple of tons before the end of the season and gets some wickets to bring his average down from 47, you never know.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next