Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If he hasn't retired, then why isn't Dan Vettori playing for NZ?

+5
Basil
horace
PeterCS
lardbucket
Henry
9 posters

Go down

If he hasn't retired, then why isn't Dan Vettori playing for NZ? Empty If he hasn't retired, then why isn't Dan Vettori playing for NZ?

Post by Henry Wed 08 Jan 2014, 21:14

Well?

He's playing the Big Bash whilst the Snoozers take on the Windies. As far as I know he's still available for selection? Seems strange.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

If he hasn't retired, then why isn't Dan Vettori playing for NZ? Empty Re: If he hasn't retired, then why isn't Dan Vettori playing for NZ?

Post by lardbucket Wed 08 Jan 2014, 21:21

Injuries have (at least until recently) meant that he could not manage the rigours of 5 day or even 40 over cricket, I believe ... while 4 overs and a quick slog have presumably been OK.

Hope to see him back at the top level.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38103
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

If he hasn't retired, then why isn't Dan Vettori playing for NZ? Empty Re: If he hasn't retired, then why isn't Dan Vettori playing for NZ?

Post by Henry Wed 08 Jan 2014, 21:23

Seems he's been inured for about two years. It's about time he bit the bullet and gave test and ODI cricket a go again. I believe he played a couple of four day games a month or so ago.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 08 Jan 2014, 21:30

Hope he does ... even if he plays more as a number 6 who bowls a bit, rather than in his original role, he'd still be an asset to NZ.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 08 Jan 2014, 23:01

Indeed.

Il ragazzo Luca, 'e 'as ze brains too, eh?

I think he could make constructive, unpushy suggestions on strategy and tactics. A good VC.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 08 Jan 2014, 23:03

watched potter on tower of BBL last night...he looked old and unfit and is in clear discomfort from what appears to be a chronic back complaint..imagine he will be close to chucking T20 in as well
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 09 Jan 2014, 00:40

He's too busy growing a beard. Moeen Ali said on Twitter "Mine's bigger than yours."

That was a joke by the way before some of you sad sacks start combing twitter for the actual quote
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 31 Mar 2015, 09:04

Well, he has now retired. Great career; fantastic cricketer.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 31 Mar 2015, 09:15

Aye, quality act, that Potter chap. He tormented us for years.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 31 Mar 2015, 09:57

Well done to Vettori, staunch servant of NZ cricket
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 31 Mar 2015, 10:16

Brought general intelligence, insight and good grace to bear on cricket, as well as his considerable bowling and batting skills.

I hope he continues into coaching, even management.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 31 Mar 2015, 10:17

so long as he stays away from England

I like England's spinners the way they are, all BattyGilesKerriganish.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 31 Mar 2015, 10:32

I think he might be too patriotic for that! (Or his pain threshold too low.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 31 Mar 2015, 18:06

Oh, I didn't know you could announce your retirement AFTER the World Cup final. How can he make it all about him now?

Gave the impression that he didn't much enjoy his cricket towards the end there. Might be his natural demeanour.

Quality stalwart for the Kiwis. Hard to replace.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 31 Mar 2015, 18:18

Dello wrote:Oh, I didn't know you could announce your retirement AFTER the World Cup final. How can he make it all about him now?

The voice of reason.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Tue 31 Mar 2015, 18:52

Well played, Vettori. Very good player, often the only one in a rather below average NZ team. Was almost on crutches in his last test.

Ish Sodhi and Mark Craig the main spinners now..... well.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Mar 2015, 19:48

Played, Potter.

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 31 Mar 2015, 20:13

Agree with all the above. A terrific career. I have always enjoyed watching him bowl.

If he is not interested in coaching or cricket admin, he could always get that lightning bolt scar and play an ageing limping Potter in future films for the HP franchise.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 31 Mar 2015, 21:42

Brass Monkey wrote:
Dello wrote:Oh, I didn't know you could announce your retirement AFTER the World Cup final. How can he make it all about him now?

The voice of reason.

Aye, I pos'd the crap out of it.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 31 Mar 2015, 21:45

Clarke was not the first and will not be the last...TGM, tgm, gilly and Ksnr all made announcements prior to their last match.

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 01 Apr 2015, 05:16

Kyle Mills has also retired. I did not realise, but only Vettori has taken more ODI wickets for NZ.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down