Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does Younis Khan rank amongst Pakistan's best ever batsmen?

+8
horace
JGK
lardbucket
beamer
Red
Brass Monkey
Paul Keating
Henry
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where does Younis Khan rank amongst Pakistan's best ever batsmen? Empty Where does Younis Khan rank amongst Pakistan's best ever batsmen?

Post by Henry Sun 26 Oct 2014, 01:57

Well? 

In modern times, I'd have him above Inzamam and Mohammad Yousuf, but just below Miandad.

Almost certainly the most underrated batsman in world cricket of the last 10 years.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Where does Younis Khan rank amongst Pakistan's best ever batsmen? Empty Re: Where does Younis Khan rank amongst Pakistan's best ever batsmen?

Post by Paul Keating Sun 26 Oct 2014, 01:52

We had this debate earlier this year. Most said below Inzi and MY.

I say rubbish. There are few holes in YK's record.

The same cannot be said for the FTB MY and the genuis but horribly inconsistent Inzi.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Where does Younis Khan rank amongst Pakistan's best ever batsmen? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Where does Younis Khan rank amongst Pakistan's best ever batsmen? Empty Re: Where does Younis Khan rank amongst Pakistan's best ever batsmen?

Post by Henry Sun 26 Oct 2014, 02:10

Inzi and MY both had pretty poor records against the dominant teams of their time (Australia and South Africa). I always found Inzamam a tad overrated.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sun 26 Oct 2014, 07:30

He's probably only behind Miandad. Maybe Inzi - who had a better impact on the outcome of Tests, as highlighted in a Cricinfo article just the other day. I rated Salim Malik very highly, but not many else seem to. MoYo was the most elegant of players, but he cashed in on an immense period and had a case of the FTBs.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 26 Oct 2014, 10:41

MY had a purple patch on some flat tracks and also benefited in a few of those big innings from some really inept fielding. Better when he changed his name but Khan probably more perdurable and consistent overall.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 26 Oct 2014, 10:56

Red wrote:MY had a purple patch on some flat tracks and also benefited in a few of those big innings from some really inept fielding. Better when he changed his name but Khan probably more perdurable and consistent overall.
Yeah, MoYo was better than YoYo who was... a bit up and down?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 26 Oct 2014, 21:18

Joseph John was good.

When he became Mohammed Yousuf he was more likely to keep his head.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 26 Oct 2014, 23:24

Certainly behind Javed. I think Inzi and MoYo were better too. YK has also has his share of big innings on flat tracks.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 27 Oct 2014, 21:28

Not in the same league as those above, but here's a shout out for Misbah-Ul-Haq. He's now over 40 years old (and that's in Pakistani years, which in some cases - eg Shahid Afridi's - seem to be a lot longer than 365 days). He's about to play just his 50th Test, in which he is likely to equal the Pakistani captaincy record for most wins, currently held by Imran Khan and Javed Miandad. Given that the Pakistani Test captaincy changes almost as often as Red's avatar, this is some feat, and it certainly puts him in exalted company. His Test batting average sits at around 48 (just under, I checked) after over three thousand runs. As captain he seems to have brought the side together having negotiated some very difficult challenges (Shahid Afridi as a serious captaincy rival, Saeed Ajmal and the chucking controversy, and the match-fixing crisis involving Salman Butt, Amir, and Asif) ... and all with a minimum of fuss.

All not bad at all for a bloke who looked about as permanent a fixture in the side as Faisal Iqbal. Hats off.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 27 Oct 2014, 21:40

Actually, Faisal Iqbal was a permanent fixture in the side for far too long thanks to his uncle.

But yeah, good old Misbah. What was the story with him being axed from the ODI captaincy? And them not picking Younis for the ODI side. I think Misbah needs to be made captain again and Younis recalled if they are to have any chance in the World Cup.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Oct 2014, 22:30

lardbucket wrote:Not in the same league as those above, but here's a shout out for Misbah-Ul-Haq. He's now over 40 years old (and that's in Pakistani years, which in some cases - eg Shahid Afridi's - seem to be a lot longer than 365 days). He's about to play just his 50th Test, in which he is likely to equal the Pakistani captaincy record for most wins, currently held by Imran Khan and Javed Miandad. Given that the Pakistani Test captaincy changes almost as often as Red's avatar, this is some feat, and it certainly puts him in exalted company. His Test batting average sits at around 48 (just under, I checked) after over three thousand runs. As captain he seems to have brought the side together having negotiated some very difficult challenges (Shahid Afridi as a serious captaincy rival, Saeed Ajmal and the chucking controversy, and the match-fixing crisis involving Salman Butt, Amir, and Asif) ... and all with a minimum of fuss.

All not bad at all for a bloke who looked about as permanent a fixture in the side as Faisal Iqbal. Hats off.

Misbah is exceptionally admirable, but I think that you're being harsh on Younis Khan. Tantamount to boo-hockey, in fact. As has been mentioned, there's no real holes in his record. He's the first Pakistani to score Test tons against every nation, he holds the record for the most Test tons by a Pakistani. Yes he's B'd an FT, but we've all seen how he can also tough it out in testing conditions. TBH, he's really not lauded enough - he's a rock in a very soft place.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 28 Oct 2014, 20:20

Harsh on Younis? I didn't mention him at all, and actually agree with everything said about him above.

Just thought this was an appropriate spot to mention the unassuming Misbah.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 28 Oct 2014, 20:22

I read it wrong. Read it wrong like a fish.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 28 Oct 2014, 20:27

No worries. I probably wrote it badly - seems to be happening a lot.

Face to face communication over a beer or a cider seems to work better.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 28 Oct 2014, 22:40

Or cognac.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 28 Oct 2014, 23:30

lardbucket wrote:Harsh on Younis? I didn't mention him at all, and actually agree with everything said about him above.

Just thought this was an appropriate spot to mention the unassuming Misbah.

Miserable is by far the best Stannie captain since the loon (Imran K)
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 30 Oct 2014, 11:33

JGK wrote:Or cognac.

Good times. I'm back there next year.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 30 Oct 2014, 11:41

You should try Old Rosie next time - that'll knock your balls off.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 30 Oct 2014, 13:16

Henry wrote:Well? 

In modern times, I'd have him above Inzamam and Mohammad Yousuf, but just below Miandad.

Almost certainly the most underrated batsman in world cricket of the last 10 years.

Probably higher after today.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Thu 30 Oct 2014, 23:30

Wow. I just read the YK averages 50 in all four innings of a match.

His tons per test match is amongst the best of the modern era.

He really has few flaws in his record.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 31 Oct 2014, 01:20

Paul Keating wrote:Wow. I just read the YK averages 50 in all four innings of a match.

Until a week ago he hadn't scored a ton against Australia.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Fri 31 Oct 2014, 01:25

JGK wrote:
Paul Keating wrote:Wow. I just read the YK averages 50 in all four innings of a match.

Until a week ago he hadn't played the Aussies for ten years and his record prior to that in a handful of games vs McGrath and Warne was solid.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 31 Oct 2014, 01:35

Paul Keating wrote:
JGK wrote:

Until a week ago he hadn't played the Aussies for ten years and his record prior to that in a handful of games vs McGrath and Warne was solid.

An average of 30 in 6 matches. Meh. Give me VVS any day.

He's been grouse in this series though.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 31 Oct 2014, 01:42

what price he gets another ton in the 2nd dig?

tho in reality they prolly already have enough runs in the bank to score an innings win
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 31 Oct 2014, 01:48

there's a streetfighter-ish, underdog quality to Younis's batting that is enjoyable to watch.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next