Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A remarkable World Cup statistic

Go down

A remarkable World Cup statistic Empty A remarkable World Cup statistic

Post by beamer Wed 18 Feb 2015, 19:18

I saw this referred to in an article on close finishes - the fact that only one match in World Cup history (Pkn v WI in 1987) had been won by the team batting second off the last possible ball.

Surely this couldn't be right? It seems reasonably common... certainly feels like a disproportionate number of county one-day finals over the years have finished this way. Looking at ODIs overall, there have been 35 instances out of just over 3,600 matches played, so around 1% - still lower than I would have expected. But in World Cups, just one instance out of 359 games, which I find quite incredible really.

By comparison it seems closer to 1 in 30 in T20Is, and also there have been four tied World Cup matches, when I would have expected the last ball chaser win to be more common than the tie (usually more possible scoring outcomes off the last ball that will produce the batting side win than the tie, or so it seems...) Of course two of the ties unforgettably eliminated South Africa if anyone needs reminding!

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down