Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FFS- England players to be allowed to miss tests to play IPL

+5
taipan
Brass Monkey
JGK
lardbucket
Henry
9 posters

Go down

FFS- England players to be allowed to miss tests to play IPL Empty FFS- England players to be allowed to miss tests to play IPL

Post by Henry Fri 13 Nov 2015, 03:32

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/11992580/England-clear-players-to-put-IPL-one-day-experience-ahead-of-Test-cricket.html

F*ck you Andrew Strauss. I think this will prove to be a disastrous decision that further alienates the England team from its fans, just as some of the love seemed to be coming back last Summer.

There's a reason England haven't prioritised ODI cricket in the past- Apart from the World Cup, we the fans couldn't give a f*ck about it. If Strauss thinks England fans, who already have to pay more than any other fans around the World (barring perhaps Australis) to watch test cricket, will be happy to fork out the same money for games with three or four of the best players missing, they will be sorely mistaken.

I can't stress what a bad move I think this is. If players on the fringe of the England team like Bopara and Luke Wright want to play in the IPL, then fair enough. But if they start allowing the likes of Joe Root, Ben Stokes, James Anderson, and Stuart Broad to miss early season tests, there will be an uproar. The IPL might improve England's white ball cricket, but I reckon 95% of English cricket fans would prefer we were considered the best test team in the world, rather than the best ODI and T20 team.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

FFS- England players to be allowed to miss tests to play IPL Empty Re: FFS- England players to be allowed to miss tests to play IPL

Post by lardbucket Fri 13 Nov 2015, 04:18

Maybe he's being pragmatic, given both aspirations seem only remotely possible?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

FFS- England players to be allowed to miss tests to play IPL Empty Re: FFS- England players to be allowed to miss tests to play IPL

Post by JGK Fri 13 Nov 2015, 07:00

Strauss is getting paid by the IPL.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:41

Watch out - the IPL is going to steal Cook and Bell.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:47

Brass Monkey wrote:Watch out - the IPL is going to steal Cook and Bell.

And the whole of England starts Mafficking.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindsay no.2 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 17:54

Henry wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/11992580/England-clear-players-to-put-IPL-one-day-experience-ahead-of-Test-cricket.html

F*ck you Andrew Strauss. I think this will prove to be a disastrous decision that further alienates the England team from its fans, just as some of the love seemed to be coming back last Summer.

There's a reason England haven't prioritised ODI cricket in the past- Apart from the World Cup, we  the fans couldn't give a f*ck about it. If Strauss thinks England fans, who already have to pay more than any other fans around the World (barring perhaps Australis) to watch test cricket, will be happy to fork out the same money for games with three or four of the best players missing, they will be sorely mistaken.

I can't stress what a bad move I think this is. If players on the fringe of the England team like Bopara and Luke Wright want to play in the IPL, then fair enough. But if they start allowing the likes of Joe Root, Ben Stokes, James Anderson, and Stuart Broad to miss early season tests, there will be an uproar. The IPL might improve England's white ball cricket, but I reckon 95% of English cricket fans would prefer we were considered the best test team in the world, rather than the best ODI and T20 team.

Is that right? I thought it was relatively affordable to go to test cricket in Aus? You guys go - so tell me what's the average ticket price down under.

I agree that I also don't really care for the idea. However, perhaps it was inevitable or perhaps a contracted player might launch some restriction of trade lawsuit or some such.

Well, if Root plays I reckon that'll not only knock a couple of years off his career due to back injuries but also make him more prone to injuries in the seasons he's available. However, fear not as we've got quality back-up ready to step in should that occur.

Whom else would likely get picked up though - our ODI guys are generally pretty shithouse and don't have cool nicknames like 'The Show'. Buttler might get a game I guess - but don't forget that our notional best ODI performer, Morgan, has been little more than a bench warmer in IPL.

Lindsay no.2

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindsay no.2 Fri 13 Nov 2015, 17:55

JGK wrote:Strauss is getting paid by the IPL.

I wouldn't rule out CEO of the IPL as his next planned career move, especially if he could get in there and somehow spike KP's 'career' over there.

Lindsay no.2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethics? The Gall! Fri 13 Nov 2015, 22:56

Lindsay no.2 wrote:
Is that right? I thought it was relatively affordable to go to test cricket in Aus? You guys go - so tell me what's the average ticket price down under.

read this article from the abc
Ethics? The Gall!
Ethics? The Gall!

Number of posts : 1911
Registration date : 2012-08-23
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindsay no.2 Sat 14 Nov 2015, 13:40

Ethics? The Gall! wrote:
Lindsay no.2 wrote:

read this article from the abc

Cheers for the pointer to that article etg - I didn't realise they ripped you guys off as they do to us over here in the UK.

For a ticket to Lords for the Sri Lanka test next summer it looks like the cheapest (seriously restricted view) seat starts at £30 (60-ish Aus dollars?) and the best grandstand seat comes in at £85 (170 Aus dollars). And that's Sri Lanka. Still, they'll probably largely fill the ground, if not sell it out, for the first 3 days - and the food and drink will sting you big time.

I guess the ACB is obliged to give the tests to the big stadia in Aus - but it would make for a much better atmos if they could farm out the games that will naturally only draw smaller crowds to more intimate venues. NZ have done that kind of thing and play some tests in places that look more like festival set-ups - small permanent stand/pavilion supplemented by marquees and nice spaces of grass or people to occupy. Makes or a better TV spectacle and I guess it feels better at the game too.

Lindsay no.2

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 14 Nov 2015, 18:02

Anyway, Strauss has clarified that no-one will be allowed to miss Tests to play IPL, so there we go.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 14 Nov 2015, 18:12

Dello wrote:Anyway, Strauss has clarified that no-one will be allowed to miss Tests to play IPL, so there we go.

So KP is safe.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 14 Nov 2015, 18:50

Until Strauss releases his autobiography "Pip pip, what-oh", in which he'll savagely besmirch Kevin's name, in salty language and anodyne Toryisms.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 14 Nov 2015, 22:56

Actually it's called "Enjoy the Travelling Circus, Old Fruit!"
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down