Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian ball tampering headlines.

+28
krikri
ojitarian
MoH
Paul Keating
WideWally
PeterCS
furriner
beamer
taipan
Fred Nerk
tricycle
Aditya
OP Tipping
Growler
Dello
Basil
Nath
JGK
Bradman
embee
Red
Big Dog
horace
lardbucket
skully
Henry
Blackadder
whitburn
32 posters

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

Australian ball tampering headlines. - Page 24 Empty Re: Australian ball tampering headlines.

Post by MoH Fri 30 Mar 2018, 09:57

I'm not sure it did. I think when the ball is 40+ overs old in dry conditions it's fair to say what you're seeing is reverse rather than conventional swing.

MoH

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2013-07-26
Flag/Background : zim

Back to top Go down

Australian ball tampering headlines. - Page 24 Empty Re: Australian ball tampering headlines.

Post by furriner Fri 30 Mar 2018, 16:58

I'm waiting for Davey Warner's press conference.  Yes, I don't have a life.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Fri 30 Mar 2018, 16:59

Will need an interpreter to translate it into English, though.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 30 Mar 2018, 17:13

The answer to Australia's current existential crisis: effigies.  

Instead of confusing your kids with comforting but hollow words on the nation's alleged sporting ethos, give 'em effigies to burn.  Positive action will engage their minds, while the glow of a nice flame will purge all negative thoughts, leading to them become outstanding citizens some of whom will go on to tamper a few more cricket balls with absolute moral certainty.

Give the politicians effigies, that'll shut them up and give them something to do, and the  less they talk, the better anyway.  Give CA effigies, some of them could be better batsmen than the lot currently repping Australia.  And if one doesn't work out, you can always, erm, fire him.

It's so simple, I wonder why only I've thought of it.  My being a genius may have something to do with it.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 30 Mar 2018, 19:05

JGK wrote:Smith's choices re an appeal are going to be interesting.

12 months is clearly excessive, especially as it seems less and less like he had any detailed knowledge about the plan,  but an appeal might make it look like he isn't that contrite.

Not convinced that a twelve month ban is at all excessive. Smith became an accessory to the offence as soon as he went in front of the press and lied.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 30 Mar 2018, 20:22

Basil wrote:

12 months is clearly excessive, especially as it seems less and less like he had any detailed knowledge about the plan,  but an appeal might make it look like he isn't that contrite.

Not convinced that a twelve month ban is at all excessive. Smith became an accessory to the offence as soon as he went in front of the press and lied.

Spot on Basil. Mr K is a mild soul and tends to the generous. Most Strino posters think the bans were apt, tho I thought Warner deserved a two year whack. I am most disappointed he is allowed to play grade cricket.

I look forward to your Board taking a similarly strong stand. The Stokes issue is its first litmus test as well as how it handles Broads opining on the oz tour.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 30 Mar 2018, 21:02

12 month is too much.   3-6 (tops) months out of the game, including missing the IPL payoff would be sufficient, IMO.

Macaulay: "We know no spectacle as ridiculous as the British public in one of its periodical fits of morality"

I think we're witnessing the Australian sporting equivalent.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 30 Mar 2018, 21:04

horace wrote:
Basil wrote:

Spot on Basil. Mr K is a mild soul and tends to the generous. Most Strino posters think the bans were apt, tho I thought Warner deserved a two year whack. I am most disappointed he is allowed to play grade cricket.

I look forward to your Board taking a similarly strong stand. The Stokes issue is its first litmus test as well as how it handles Broads opining on the oz tour.

I'm uncomfortable with Stokes playing while his court case is pending. But there's nothing for the ECB to consider until the verdict is known.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 30 Mar 2018, 21:10

Another one for the statsheads, hey skulls and others?

If M Shami and Stokes (assuming his case drags on for a while) were to participate in the coming India- England Test series, they would both be playing while accused of serious bodily harm / attempt to murder (Shami's been accused by his wife, look it up).

First time that would have happened, if it does?
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 30 Mar 2018, 21:14

furriner wrote:Another one for the statsheads, hey skulls and others?

If M Shami and Stokes (assuming his case drags on for a while) were to participate in the coming India- England Test series, they would both be playing while accused of serious bodily harm / attempt to murder (Shami's been accused by his wife, look it up).

First time that would have happened, if it does?

Stokes' case is due to be heard in August, it will mean him missing the Lord's test (more if he is sent down).
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 30 Mar 2018, 21:22

^^ Pity.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 30 Mar 2018, 21:34

Stokes is up with Warner as a thug. Did not know about Shami's domestic violence charges. Hope the BCCI takes a stand.

Incidentally CA totally lost the plot when it sent Grub O'Keefe over as a replacement while he was under suspension from NSW.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 30 Mar 2018, 22:01

horace wrote:Stokes is up with Warner as a thug. Did not know about Shami's domestic violence charges. Hope the BCCI takes a stand.

Incidentally CA totally lost the plot when it sent Grub O'Keefe over as a replacement while he was under suspension from NSW.

The BCCI has stated that it cannot interfere in due process, and by law also cannot terminate Shami's contract on the basis of allegations.  It can only take action on matters related to the cricket, and there's nothing in that regard. 

Which i think is fair, horrie.  The allegations against Shami are more of the he said/she said variety, and while his wife is the one who's filed the cases against him, there's no video or 'proof' as happened with the Stokes incident.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Fri 30 Mar 2018, 22:35

lardbucket wrote:When did all in swing become reverse swing?

since every box of Kookaburra balls contain duds
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11981
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Fri 30 Mar 2018, 22:53

furriner wrote:
horace wrote:Stokes is up with Warner as a thug. Did not know about Shami's domestic violence charges. Hope the BCCI takes a stand.

The BCCI has stated that it cannot interfere in due process, and by law also cannot terminate Shami's contract on the basis of allegations.  It can only take action on matters related to the cricket, and there's nothing in that regard. 

Which i think is fair, horrie.  The allegations against Shami are more of the he said/she said variety, and while his wife is the one who's filed the cases against him, there's no video or 'proof' as happened with the Stokes incident.

I fully accept that no board can act on allegations of wrongdoing outside of cricket, furri - but if any police investigation ends up with Shami having to appear in court (especially on a charge involving violence) - would that not in itself be a case of bringing the game into disrepute?

I've said in the past, I'm not comfortable with Stokes playing international cricket. It smacks of desperation by the ECB that he'll save us from complete hidings because he's one of our better players. If it was Vince, Malan, Overton, or some other player with a handful of caps I've little doubt they wouldn't be within a mile of the team.
Growler
Growler

Australian ball tampering headlines. - Page 24 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 30 Mar 2018, 23:06

Growler wrote:
furriner wrote:

I fully accept that no board can act on allegations of wrongdoing outside of cricket, furri - but if any police investigation ends up with Shami having to appear in court (especially on a charge involving violence) - would that not in itself be a case of bringing the game into disrepute?

I've said in the past, I'm not comfortable with Stokes playing international cricket. It smacks of desperation by the ECB that he'll save us from complete hidings because he's one of our better players. If it was Vince, Malan, Overton, or some other player with a handful of caps I've little doubt they wouldn't be within a mile of the team.

Growls, I have no problems at all with what you said, but I submit to you that the two cases are different from a "what happened perspective".  Shami's case here is widely perceived as (an that's my opinion as well) one where the wife went berserk because the husband was cheating scum, basically a man who was sleeping with anyone he could get a hold of.  In essence, she flipped because he was/is someone of questionable morality.  So it's more case of personal issues leading to wild allegations.

So if he appears in court for the above, I'd like to submit that it's not by itself enough to bring the game into disrepute.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dello Fri 30 Mar 2018, 23:17

Growler wrote:... If it was Vince, Malan, Overton, or some other player with a handful of caps I've little doubt they wouldn't be within a mile of the team.

If Vince ever got a scuffle, he'd land two or three classical jabs and look thoroughly on top before getting sparked out by a haymaker that literally anyone could've seen coming a mile off.

Dello

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2017-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 30 Mar 2018, 23:29

Like it or not, people in team sports will always be judged by how replaceable they are. They’re assets of a business, which you don’t deliberately destroy if it’s going to cost you a lot of money.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Fri 30 Mar 2018, 23:45

Furri - fair enough. As you say, it's not a crime to be a knob. If it were, the whole world would be locked up apart from thee & me .... and I'm not certain about thee either tbh Very Happy Smile Very Happy .

Dello - yes, I can just imagine it exactly as you describe.
Growler
Growler

Australian ball tampering headlines. - Page 24 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 30 Mar 2018, 23:49

JGK wrote:
ojitarian wrote:
beamer wrote:Anyway, at the end of Australian cricket’s Red Wedding, surprisingly there’s a Starc left standing...
Gold.

Aye.   I am so going to steal that line.

And of course as soon as I use it Starc hobbles out of cricket for a number of months...

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 31 Mar 2018, 00:04

KFC to become major sponsor of Australian Cricket ....Colonel Sanders happy with events in South Africa
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Sat 31 Mar 2018, 01:05

Warner press conference on now.

Blackadder

Australian ball tampering headlines. - Page 24 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 31 Mar 2018, 01:07

MoH wrote:I'm not sure it did. I think when the ball is 40+ overs old in dry conditions it's fair to say what you're seeing is reverse rather than conventional swing.

Hence my query of the ODI instances quoted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dello Sat 31 Mar 2018, 01:12

Davey pointedly not answering the question if anyone else was involved that hasn't already been sanctioned.

Dello

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2017-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 31 Mar 2018, 01:20

He does want to possibly play for Oz again 

Dumping a bucket of shit at a press conference wont do that 

He may have told the investigators there were more involved ...but as that has not come out he is shutting up 

He repeated his press conference was about 'him and his role' ...somebody had prepped him well 

and to his credit he stuck to that script
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next