Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v England, 1st Test, Hamilton, 5-9th March

+38
Growler
krikri
DJ_Smerk
Ash
Jiffymix
Don't quote me
The One
doctorspin
Makaveli
bliksem
eowyn
Chivalry Augustus
WideWally
Allan D
Henry Nolonga
taipan
HH_pink
mynah
tac
Mick Sawyer
G.Wood
Geoffrey Trueman
Merlin
doremi
Brass Monkey
freddled gruntbuggly
Lara Lara Laughs
horace
beamer
holcs
JGK
skully
Winkle Spinner
furriner
Eric Air Emu
JKLever
Basil
LeFromage
42 posters

Page 3 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 36  Next

Go down

New Zealand v England, 1st Test, Hamilton, 5-9th March - Page 3 Empty Re: New Zealand v England, 1st Test, Hamilton, 5-9th March

Post by horace Sun 02 Mar 2008, 23:47

there must be some grounds for optimism...eg when do you play the Bangles next?
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England, 1st Test, Hamilton, 5-9th March - Page 3 Empty Re: New Zealand v England, 1st Test, Hamilton, 5-9th March

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Sun 02 Mar 2008, 23:49

I reckon we'll win the series. Probably because I'm not one of these cynical, jaded, thousand yard stare clowns who've suffered far too much from watching England.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 02 Mar 2008, 23:51

beamer wrote:Hopefully Broad's the long term answer to the number 8 problem, but it looks like they don't feel he's quite ready to be a Test regular yet. At the moment as a bowler he perhaps lacks a plan B on the days when things aren't going his way, from what I've seen in the one-day games. But I expect we'll see him at some stage in this series, given the injury record of our other bowlers recently...

They're doing exactly the same thing with him that they did with Plunkett. They've convinced themselves that his batting's going to solve a problem at number eight and completely disregarded the stage his bowling development is at.

I don't think Broad the bowler is international quality at present. Shouldn't really be out there.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 02 Mar 2008, 23:52

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I reckon we'll win the series. Probably because I'm not one of these cynical, jaded, thousand yard stare clowns who've suffered far too much from watching England.

Bollocks have you, you're bloody 16. Which means you would have been 8 when our fortunes turned around with a win against the WI

The late 1980's is where doom and gloom was I tell thee...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 02 Mar 2008, 23:52

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:I reckon we'll win the series. Probably because I'm not one of these cynical, jaded, thousand yard stare clowns who've suffered far too much from watching England.

I reckon we'll suck balls and lose 2-zip.

*stares into the distance, approximately one thousand yards away*
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 03 Mar 2008, 00:03

*pokes you in the eye*

And stop your bitchin' about number 8. Sidebottom is good enough to bat there. He's acquitted himself very well. He's averaging 19 and that's only a run and a bit less than Giles's 20.89.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 03 Mar 2008, 00:08

If SideBo plays 50 tests he wont be averaging that. It'll be nearer 10.

You're as bad as beefy saying Monty could bat up the order. Our tail is sh!tehouse, let's face it.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Mar 2008, 00:08

He's not good enough to bat there. He's a number eleven (ten on a good day) who is making a reasonable fist of it so far, but is certainly swimming against the tide.

His FC average is 11. One fifty.

Glenn McGrath has two fifties...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 03 Mar 2008, 00:09

Yeah that told him...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 03 Mar 2008, 00:14

Well don't I feel sheepish.

New Zealand v England, 1st Test, Hamilton, 5-9th March - Page 3 DSCN2495%20-%20Sheep

I was going to argue until I read the McGrath bit. That was the equivalent of Pacino's silent scream in Godather part III.

Point well made.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 03 Mar 2008, 00:22

Couldn't you feel sheepish in a slightly smaller way that fits on the page...?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 03 Mar 2008, 00:22

What browser are you using? Fits on my page perfectly.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Mar 2008, 07:34

horace wrote:when do you play the Bangles next?

Just another manic monday.

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Mon 03 Mar 2008, 09:53

Dello wrote:Tail's going to look horrible with Sidebottom coming in at eight.
Lines like that make me so glad I changed my tag when we moved . . .
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

New Zealand v England, 1st Test, Hamilton, 5-9th March - Page 3 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 03 Mar 2008, 12:08

Phurt, you'll always be tails to me. This Freddy the gruntsnuggler palaver is for the birds.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Mon 03 Mar 2008, 18:40

On the plus side Pietersen can certainly bat, Cook could have a great future ahead of him, Hoggard's a top class 3rd seamer and Collingwood can't half field.

The Kiwis on the other hand are a mediocre motley crew of ODI whores who barely merit test status... and they're still going to win 3-0 because England are soft as shite.

Still it's nearly spring and there's lots of cute furry mammals still in the world.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Mar 2008, 19:22

freddled gruntbuggly wrote:
Dello wrote:Tail's going to look horrible with Sidebottom coming in at eight.
Lines like that make me so glad I changed my tag when we moved . . .

I like your avatar of Louise Jameson. I fancied her like mad back in 1977.

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Mon 03 Mar 2008, 23:10

Dello wrote:
beamer wrote:Hopefully Broad's the long term answer to the number 8 problem, but it looks like they don't feel he's quite ready to be a Test regular yet. At the moment as a bowler he perhaps lacks a plan B on the days when things aren't going his way, from what I've seen in the one-day games. But I expect we'll see him at some stage in this series, given the injury record of our other bowlers recently...

They're doing exactly the same thing with him that they did with Plunkett. They've convinced themselves that his batting's going to solve a problem at number eight and completely disregarded the stage his bowling development is at.

I don't think Broad the bowler is international quality at present. Shouldn't really be out there.
Well, he hasn't done badly in the one-day side on the whole. As I said though, on a bad day he can go for a fair few runs but the majority of the time he's kept it quite tight. I think he's established himself in that form of the game for a long time.

As far as being a Test bowler I'm not sure yet, whether he has the weapons to get world class batsmen out at this stage. But people complain about picking four rabbits and then the same people then complain about picking bowlers for their batting. You just can't win, unless you have 11 world-class all-rounders. And it's not as if there's any great bowlers sat at home is it... all we can do is pick players with potential and hope for the best.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 04 Mar 2008, 00:10

beamer wrote:. all we can do is pick players with potential and hope for the best.

Agree, no great talent sat at home as an alternative.

It's either go with someone like Broad and back him, or unearth another SideBo stumbling about in county cricket.

COME ON DOWN!!! Alan Richardson!! affraid
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 04 Mar 2008, 15:28

Has there ever been a series where there's been less to gain? If we win, it's expected and it's "only New Zealand" and if we lose, we're pretty much the worst team around and deserve every tongue lashing we get.

It's all there to lose. The only possible benefit of this series is, if we do win it, we'll have a little bit of momentum and confidence.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 04 Mar 2008, 15:34

F*ck 'momentum'. Not a big fan of it. Being as it's a myth and all that.

There's nothing to gain, we'll either be feasting on unimaginative carrion or losing to an insipid bunch of no-hopers.

I'm really looking forward to the series though. It's real cricket played by a couple of non-sooky teams.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 04 Mar 2008, 17:05

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Has there ever been a series where there's been less to gain?

Anything against the Bangers?
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Tue 04 Mar 2008, 19:05

Oooh. It's starting tonight. I thought it was tomorrow night. Great stuff. Here's hoping we win the toss.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 04 Mar 2008, 19:09

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Has there ever been a series where there's been less to gain? If we win, it's expected and it's "only New Zealand" and if we lose, we're pretty much the worst team around and deserve every tongue lashing we get.

It's all there to lose. The only possible benefit of this series is, if we do win it, we'll have a little bit of momentum and confidence.
They may not get much credit for winning it, but there is a lot to gain in terms of starting to recover that momentum and confidence that's been draining away from the Test side since 2005.

Beating the Kiwis away from home will certainly give England the belief in being able to roll them over on their return visit in the early summer. That would be a good stepping stone towards the bigger challenge of South Africa later in the season. Get back that winning habit then carry it into India and the Caribbean next winter, and then perhaps we can start to mention the 'A' word...

On the other hand, fail in this series and more and more questions will be asked about a number of players, including the captain himself - NZ will be fired up to repeat their success over here and the downward spiral continues. Followed by wholesale changes and the writing off of this four-year cycle.

It may not be the highest profile series but it's a pivotal one for determining the direction of this England team.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 04 Mar 2008, 19:22

New Zealand beware: Steve Harmison's packed his "fast" shoes.

New Zealand v England, 1st Test, Hamilton, 5-9th March - Page 3 87984
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 36  Next