Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best part of the English Football season

+11
JKLever
leg glancer
Basil
Chivalry Augustus
Brass Monkey
S F Barnes
Henry
holcs
tac
eowyn
taipan
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The best part of the English Football season Empty The best part of the English Football season

Post by taipan Fri 23 May 2008, 07:49

Trophies:

Chelsea 0
Arsenal 0
Liverpool 0
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

The best part of the English Football season Empty Re: The best part of the English Football season

Post by eowyn Fri 23 May 2008, 07:57

The best part of the football season may yet be to come, Sunday at Wembley....
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

The best part of the English Football season Empty Re: The best part of the English Football season

Post by tac Fri 23 May 2008, 07:58

. . . is that it's almost over?
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Fri 23 May 2008, 08:39

tac wrote:. . . is that it's almost over?

Yes correct!
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 23 May 2008, 08:56

taipan wrote:Trophies:

Chelsea 0
Arsenal 0
Liverpool 0

Man U and Chelsea are the only 2 teams who can win the premiership next season, imo. Wenger is likely to lose some key players and be forced to rebuild again, and Liverpool doesn't have enough all round quality to be consistent enough to win the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abramovich decides to open his cheque book again big time in the coming weeks. Needs a new manager for a start (Scholari?) and Drogba looks likely to leave as well, so he'll be looking for a 30 million quid striker from somewhere.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by S F Barnes Fri 23 May 2008, 12:28

Yeah, my sentinments exactly.
S F Barnes
S F Barnes

Number of posts : 276

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 23 May 2008, 12:49

Yes, yes, yes... Shame there's that Euro '08 gash to come...
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Fri 23 May 2008, 13:02

eowyn wrote:The best part of the football season may yet be to come, Sunday at Wembley....

A Doncaster win, I presume Very Happy?

Anyway, promotion on the last day was obviously the best from my point of view. Derby relegated, Leicester relegated too - the whole season was a success really.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

The best part of the English Football season Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 23 May 2008, 14:32

Augustus wrote:
eowyn wrote:The best part of the football season may yet be to come, Sunday at Wembley....

Anyway, promotion on the last day was obviously the best from my point of view. Derby relegated, Leicester relegated too - the whole season was a success really.

You are joking? Suspect
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 23 May 2008, 19:24

Augustus wrote:

I'll piss myself laughing if Doncaster win - and what a story that'll be; nearly folded a few years ago, and now on the cusp of the Championship.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Fri 23 May 2008, 19:30

Brass Monkey wrote:

Yep. Still plenty of opportunities for the hooligans to make an impact this summer, even though England are not in it.
leg glancer
leg glancer

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2007-11-19
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 23 May 2008, 19:47

leg glancer wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:

Yep. Still plenty of opportunities for the hooligans to make an impact this summer, even though England are not in it.

Totally. The Polish are the worst in the world. Germans are pretty bad too. Turkish. Suppose Austria will have some. The Italians. Croats can be bad. Greeks and Russians maybe.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 23 May 2008, 19:56

Basil wrote:
Augustus wrote:

I'll piss myself laughing if Doncaster win - and what a story that'll be; nearly folded a few years ago, and now on the cusp of the Championship.

Bugger of, Baz!

I'm undermined on all sides, but I was born and bought up Leeds when they were old 2nd division and I'm loyal and I'll stay that way even if I look stupid. There are some things that you stick that are beyond logic and reason...
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 23 May 2008, 20:21

And dirty Leeds is one of them!
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Fri 23 May 2008, 20:32

They were a foul bunch of smelly horrible things at Fortress City Ground this season; kicking, biting, diving, et cetera. They won, of course, like all stinky, awful things do, but under Dennis Wise they were steeping themselves in the Leeds' traditions. Apparently, they play a bit more football under McAllister, but it didn't look that way either in the return match at Elland Road nor in the two play-off semis against Carlisle. Personally though, I've no strong feelings against Leeds, it's more the fans and, early on in the season, Dennis Wise in particular. I'm not sure what it is about Leeds but they seem to have a number of mongs disproportionate to their (rather large) fanbase. They all seem to be a bit mongofied - must be a Yorkshire thing.

Anyways, good luck to them but I'd prefer Doncaster to win. They're a better footballing side even if John Ryan thinks that he IS Doncaster Rovers. Their plastic bowl stadium's a bit dour too - I suppose the awful Forest performance and subsequent defeat accentuated its soulless quality somewhat though.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

The best part of the English Football season Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 23 May 2008, 20:37

eowyn wrote:
Basil wrote:
Augustus wrote:

Bugger of, Baz!

I'm undermined on all sides, but I was born and bought up Leeds when they were old 2nd division and I'm loyal and I'll stay that way even if I look stupid. There are some things that you stick that are beyond logic and reason...

I feel sorry for the genuine supporters who have followed Leeds through thick and thin - but the club deserves evrything it gets - they were the pits during the '70s, the dirtiest most cynical side ever to (dis)grace the top flight - oh yes, and a manager who was as straight as a nine bob note.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 23 May 2008, 20:42

The chairman was the biggest tw@t. Still my dad and me will carry on throgh thick and thin.

We'll most likely lose any way.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Sat 24 May 2008, 09:14

Have faith, Angel. One day we'll win something again. One day . . .
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

The best part of the English Football season 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sat 24 May 2008, 09:23

Keep all your fingers and toes crossed for tomorrow.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Sat 24 May 2008, 09:35

What's happening tomorrow?
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sat 24 May 2008, 09:45

And you're a fan??

It's the League One play-off final to get into the Championship.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 24 May 2008, 09:49

taipan wrote:Trophies:

Chelsea 0
Arsenal 0
Liverpool 0

Actually Chelski had the "Silver Treble" - runners up in the League, Champions League and League Cup.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Sat 24 May 2008, 10:29

eowyn wrote:And you're a fan??

It's the League One play-off final to get into the Championship.
They don't report on this sort of stuff in the local rags, and I haven't been online much lately. Besides, I avoid the soccer threads - they're full of ManUre and ArseAnal fans.

And thank you, ma'am. I'll be 'rooting' for the lads. Wink
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 24 May 2008, 10:34

I'm looking forward to the Bristol City v Hull Championship game tonight.

What do our English colleagues think of the extended playoffs in the lower leagues to decide promotion? I think it adds some spark to what used to be often a meaningless last few weeks of the Leagues. [apologies if this has been discussed many times at length elsewhere!! Cool )
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105888
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 24 May 2008, 10:38

skully wrote:I'm looking forward to the Bristol City v Hull Championship game tonight.

What do our English colleagues think of the extended playoffs in the lower leagues to decide promotion? I think it adds some spark to what used to be often a meaningless last few weeks of the Leagues. [apologies if this has been discussed many times at length elsewhere!! Cool )

If it wasn't for the play-offs, there would be an awful lot of dead matches towards the end of the season.

Mind you, Direby were promoted via the play-offs!
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next