Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another great South African sporting success...

+9
Henry Nolonga
doremi
please don't yell
Makaveli
Basil
Gary 111
taipan
JKLever
mynah
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another great South African sporting success... Empty Another great South African sporting success...

Post by mynah Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:28

Time to celebrate!

We're out of the T20 WC, to be sure, but at least we did manage to employ quota player Vernon Philander where he could fail at crucial moments with the bat, ball and fielding. To fulfill the quotas is, after all, the true mission of South African sport. As the chairman of the South African parliamentary committee on sport pointed out not long ago, "South Africans should stop being so obsessed with winning."
mynah
mynah

Another great South African sporting success... APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Another great South African sporting success... Empty Re: Another great South African sporting success...

Post by JKLever Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:30

Pft.

You've still got the Webb-Ellis thingy in your sights....
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Another great South African sporting success... Empty Re: Another great South African sporting success...

Post by taipan Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:31

mynah wrote:Time to celebrate!

We're out of the T20 WC, to be sure, but at least we did manage to employ quota player Vernon Philander where he could fail at crucial moments with the bat, ball and fielding. To fulfill the quotas is, after all, the true mission of South African sport. As the chairman of the South African parliamentary committee on sport pointed out not long ago, "South Africans should stop being so obsessed with winning."

Mynah, leave it.

If we bitch it sounds sooky.

We lost.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:34

JKLever wrote:Pft.

Ay, they may put the government to shame by winning it, but I doubt it. Rugby is even more quota-sensitive than cricket - and the above statement was actually made about rugby... pale
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:36

mynah wrote:
JKLever wrote:Pft.

Ay, they may put the government to shame by winning it, but I doubt it. Rugby is even more quota-sensitive than cricket - and the above statement was actually made about rugby... pale

Leave it.

They have no idea
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:36

taipan wrote:

Mynah, leave it.

We lost.
Who's bitching? I'm trying to look on the bright side. drunken
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:40

mynah wrote:
taipan wrote:

Mynah, leave it.

We lost.
Who's bitching? I'm trying to look on the bright side. drunken

Shouldn't that be the dark side?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:44

What is the quota now? 3?

Didn't you have Gibbs and Ntini already?

And there's always Shaun Pollock to fulfil the 'ginger quota'...
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:48

Gary 111 wrote:What is the quota now? 3?

Another tosser
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:54

Taips is a bit pi$$ed, it seems.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:56

JKLever wrote:Taips is a bit pi$$ed, it seems.

No, I posted we were carp.

Learn to read.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:56

I think I might be a tad miffed if we failed to get to a semi-final so spectacularly.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:58

Basil wrote:

I think I might be a tad miffed if we failed to get to a semi-final so spectacularly.

Another infrequent poster jumping on the bandwagon.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:59

No surpise he usually makes himself look like an idiot, just making himself look like a bigger one now.
Makaveli
Makaveli

Number of posts : 1498

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Sep 2007, 21:00

Makaveli wrote:

No surpise he usually makes himself look like an idiot, just making himself look like a bigger one now.

tosser
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Thu 20 Sep 2007, 21:01

Touchy kid.
Makaveli
Makaveli

Number of posts : 1498

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Thu 20 Sep 2007, 21:19

They keep on pushing it up - not sure what it is now, but I think in a squad of 15 you have to have seven.
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Thu 20 Sep 2007, 21:20

I think the problem is south african's seem to be one of the few groups of fans who take 20/20 seriously.

I think they also saw it as a great chance to finally get one over australia as they seemed so suited to 20 over cricket as their lack of a spinner or any variety in their attack isn't as easily punished as it is in the longer version's of the game.

p.s. how on earth did they miss out anyway?

I haven't followed it that close but last time i checked they were unbeaten with the best nrr unthinkable that they could miss out.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 20 Sep 2007, 21:22

please don't yell wrote:I think the problem is south african's seem to be one of the few groups of fans who take 20/20 seriously.

I think they also saw it as a great chance to finally get one over australia as they seemed so suited to 20 over cricket as their lack of a spinner or any variety in their attack isn't as easily punished as it is in the longer version's of the game.

p.s. how on earth did they miss out anyway?

I haven't followed it that close but last time i checked they were unbeaten with the best nrr unthinkable that they could miss out.

Actually not.

We choked again.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 20 Sep 2007, 21:32

mynah wrote:

They keep on pushing it up - not sure what it is now, but I think in a squad of 15 you have to have seven.

The strange thing is that you've seen stadiums packed full of people from all races, and i'm sure they would be a lot more inspired by seeing South Africa get to a final still with one or two players like Ntini in there on merit than they are by seeing the likes of Philander pushed out there and embarrassing themselves.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Thu 20 Sep 2007, 21:33

To be fair to Philander, he looked quite useful in Ireland.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Thu 20 Sep 2007, 22:17

To be fair to Freelander it wasn't just him that was crap.

Sure Freelancer dropped a couple of catches but they didn't matter in the end and by the time he came to the wicket the game was gone.
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Number of posts : 1639
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Fri 21 Sep 2007, 23:23

I had him in my team for a while. I thought he performed reasonably well during the initial stages atleast, no?
HH_pink
HH_pink

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 22 Sep 2007, 02:50

I watched the replay of the Saf v Ind "quarter final" last night and I felt very sorry for Philander. He ran back hard for a catch early in the Indian innings (off a Gangles skied pull shot) and never really looked a chance of reaching it but got 3 or 4 "teapots" chucked at him by the likes of Boucher and Smith. Of course he did drop a sitter but then later when Morkel (M, I think) ran in for a catch and completely overran it and blamed the lights, Sooky laughed and clapped encouragement.

Clearly Vernon does not appear to be wanted in the side by his team mates. That must be quite a hellish thing for the young guy. I recall a similar sort of thing from the Saffies when Justin Ontong was selected (in an over ruling by a senior Saffie official) to play against Aus in T3 of the 2001-02 series in Aus. He got absolutely no support from his team mates and was left to paddle all alone hopelessly out his depth.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 106012
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Sat 22 Sep 2007, 02:56

skully wrote:I watched the replay of the Saf v Ind "quarter final" last night and I felt very sorry for Philander. He ran back hard for a catch early in the Indian innings (off a Gangles skied pull shot) and never really looked a chance of reaching it but got 3 or 4 "teapots" chucked at him by the likes of Boucher and Smith. Of course he did drop a sitter but then later when Morkel (M, I think) ran in for a catch and completely overran it and blamed the lights, Sooky laughed and clapped encouragement.

Clearly Vernon does not appear to be wanted in the side by his team mates. That must be quite a hellish thing for the young guy. I recall a similar sort of thing from the Saffies when Justin Ontong was selected (in an over ruling by a senior Saffie official) to play against Aus in T3 of the 2001-02 series in Aus. He got absolutely no support from his team mates and was left to paddle all alone hopelessly out his depth.

I thought Philander looked OK, not a useless player like Peterson or anything.
PearlJ
PearlJ

Another great South African sporting success... ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next