Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney

5 posters

Go down

RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney Empty RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney

Post by PeterCS Sat 15 Feb 2014, 00:12

(Tho I am just calling in, I had to post this ..... a lifelong hero. Apols if this footballer has already been mentioned on the football season thread, or the mass grave thread - I didn't see it there.)

At a time when sport seems commonly to abound in self-publicists and/or self-pitiers, second-class showmen who are megakings for a year or a month .....and of course worse cases who might fairly be awarded other titles, I'd like here to note the passing of a legend of skill, speed, panache, grace and generosity, Tom Finney of Preston.

Exact contemporary of Stanley Matthews, to many he was at least no less talented in speed, craftiness, sleight of foot and determination .... only he was more modest by nature, less trumpeted as what we now call a a superstar, and less inclined also to push his commercial opportunities for large, short-term advantage.

If Matthews had something of a Bradman about him, in good and less good senses, Finney could be said to combine the artistry and flair of an Archie Jackson with the reliable doughtiness (and longevity) of an Arthur Morris, ,,,,,, and the modest excellence of both. (If you see what I mean.)

We all have to leave this earth eventually, but Tom was undoubtedly an inspirational force for good, first on the pitch and then after that career, as an advisor, encourager and quiet font of wisdom in a not uncommonly deranged age..

RIP Tom
RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney _73002718_pa-483855

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26200831
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney Empty Re: RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney

Post by JGK Sat 15 Feb 2014, 00:18

Nice stuff pete. He was one of the greats no doubt.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney Empty Re: RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney

Post by tricycle Sat 15 Feb 2014, 08:32

RIP Sir Tom

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 15 Feb 2014, 10:09

A fair age.
R.I.P.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Sat 15 Feb 2014, 12:43

Agree with every word of yours Peter.

Should really have mentioned it on CDL with a direction to this separate tribute tho ...... I posted my own on there before seeing this one.
Growler
Growler

RIP to a true sporting great, Tom Finney MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down