Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another great South African sporting success...

+9
Henry Nolonga
doremi
please don't yell
Makaveli
Basil
Gary 111
taipan
JKLever
mynah
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another great South African sporting success... - Page 2 Empty Re: Another great South African sporting success...

Post by skully Sat 22 Sep 2007, 03:02

Aye. Quota or no quota, you still have to be a reasonable player to get into the national side. I reckon Ntini got similar sort of treatment early in his career but through sheer hard work and because of his class, he seems to be now one of the most respected players by his team mates.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Another great South African sporting success... - Page 2 Empty Re: Another great South African sporting success...

Post by tac Sat 22 Sep 2007, 03:03

PearlJ wrote:
skully wrote:I watched the replay of the Saf v Ind "quarter final" last night and I felt very sorry for Philander. He ran back hard for a catch early in the Indian innings (off a Gangles skied pull shot) and never really looked a chance of reaching it but got 3 or 4 "teapots" chucked at him by the likes of Boucher and Smith. Of course he did drop a sitter but then later when Morkel (M, I think) ran in for a catch and completely overran it and blamed the lights, Sooky laughed and clapped encouragement.

Clearly Vernon does not appear to be wanted in the side by his team mates. That must be quite a hellish thing for the young guy. I recall a similar sort of thing from the Saffies when Justin Ontong was selected (in an over ruling by a senior Saffie official) to play against Aus in T3 of the 2001-02 series in Aus. He got absolutely no support from his team mates and was left to paddle all alone hopelessly out his depth.

I thought Philander looked OK, not a useless player like Pieterson or anything.

Fixed
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Sat 22 Sep 2007, 03:07

tac wrote:
PearlJ wrote:
skully wrote:I watched the replay of the Saf v Ind "quarter final" last night and I felt very sorry for Philander. He ran back hard for a catch early in the Indian innings (off a Gangles skied pull shot) and never really looked a chance of reaching it but got 3 or 4 "teapots" chucked at him by the likes of Boucher and Smith. Of course he did drop a sitter but then later when Morkel (M, I think) ran in for a catch and completely overran it and blamed the lights, Sooky laughed and clapped encouragement.

Clearly Vernon does not appear to be wanted in the side by his team mates. That must be quite a hellish thing for the young guy. I recall a similar sort of thing from the Saffies when Justin Ontong was selected (in an over ruling by a senior Saffie official) to play against Aus in T3 of the 2001-02 series in Aus. He got absolutely no support from his team mates and was left to paddle all alone hopelessly out his depth.

I thought Philander looked OK, not a useless player like Pieterson or anything.

Fixed

Of course. Smile
PearlJ
PearlJ

Another great South African sporting success... - Page 2 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Sat 22 Sep 2007, 03:35

skully wrote:Aye. Quota or no quota, you still have to be a reasonable player to get into the national side. I reckon Ntini got similar sort of treatment early in his career but through sheer hard work and because of his class, he seems to be now one of the most respected players by his team mates.
Ntini and Gibbs got in on merit before the quota system was introduced, so their credentials were not questioned.
mynah
mynah

Another great South African sporting success... - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Sat 22 Sep 2007, 03:40

Gangles? Yesterday?

I'm appalled if this kind of dirty politics is really what's going on behind.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Sat 22 Sep 2007, 03:48

Last edited by on Sat 22 Sep 2007, 03:50; edited 1 time in total
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Sat 22 Sep 2007, 03:49

mynah wrote:
Clearly Vernon does not appear to be wanted in the side by his team mates.
If so, I'm not surprised. No top players support the quota system - and the most vociferous opponents have been black players who don't want to be stigmatised with the quota label. Promising black players have suffered by being promoted before they were ready for it to serve political ends. Unfortunately the powers that be cannot be brought to their senses on this point, as they are not really interested in cricket beyond the political brownie points they can score out of it.
mynah
mynah

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sat 22 Sep 2007, 08:32

The first catch if he could have pulled it off would have been one spectacular effort. You can't really blame him for that. He also got a late run-out when Boucher fell asleep in the field. In Ireland he played decently against us, winning one of the matches if I'm not mistaken.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2