Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited

+27
Hass
leg glancer
Big_Bad_Bob
PearlJ
furriner
prasad14
skully
Winkle Spinner
filosofee
LeFromage
Eric Air Emu
taipan
lardbucket
freddled gruntbuggly
eowyn
Invader Zim
doremi
Lara Lara Laughs
ten years after
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
Brass Monkey
tac
embee
Henry Nolonga
Leo
JGK
31 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited Empty What book are you reading at the moment - revisited

Post by JGK Mon 24 Sep 2007, 05:56

We lost this thread in the migration.

Anyway, I recall having a discussion with someone in that thread about Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Anyway, Jordan died last week, justifying my decision to stop reading at Book 10. There were at least two books to go in the series.

Now just to hope that George RR Martin doesn't pop off as well in the next 5 years.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited Empty Re: What book are you reading at the moment - revisited

Post by JGK Mon 24 Sep 2007, 06:42

BTW - has anyone here read "Moneyball" my Michael Lewis of "Liar's Poker" fame?

I'm reading it at the moment and am finding it quite fascinating.

JGK

Back to top Go down

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited Empty Re: What book are you reading at the moment - revisited

Post by Leo Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:17

Recently completed The Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks. Not as good as some of his past work, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the series ends.

Nabbed a dog-eared copy of The Eagle Has Landed at a second hand bookshop and read that (for the 2nd or 3rd time, not quite sure which) on the weekend. Hadn't read it for nearly 10 years I think, but still a superb read.

Right now I'm ploughing through some stuff on Athenian vases for an essay I'm working on.

Months ahead... looking forward to the next part of Janny Wurts magnum opus, Stormed Fortress.
Leo
Leo

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2007-09-01
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:23

I'm on Dark Apprentice by Kevin J. Anderson. It's part of The Jedi Academy Trilogy.
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:25

Speaking of fantasy - I saw that the kids series "The Dark is Rising" is being made into a film.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:26

"I'm ploughing through some stuff on Athenian vases for an essay I'm working on."

You Idiot , Leo

The queston is what's a Grecian Urn?

About 12 Euros an hour
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26187
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:29

Leo wrote:Recently completed The Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks. Not as good as some of his past work, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the series ends.

Nabbed a dog-eared copy of The Eagle Has Landed at a second hand bookshop and read that (for the 2nd or 3rd time, not quite sure which) on the weekend. Hadn't read it for nearly 10 years I think, but still a superb read.

Right now I'm ploughing through some stuff on Athenian vases for an essay I'm working on.

Months ahead... looking forward to the next part of Janny Wurts magnum opus, Stormed Fortress.

Terry Brooks is another I refuse to read now because of past sins (really only the first couple of Shannara books were any good). Has he improved?

I've read a little of Wurts - loved his and Feists "Empire" series.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:39

Re-reading Thackeray . . . . in the middle of Henry Esmond at the moment. Rollicking good stuff.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:46

JGK wrote:
Leo wrote:Recently completed The Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks. Not as good as some of his past work, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the series ends.

Terry Brooks is another I refuse to read now because of past sins (really only the first couple of Shannara books were any good). Has he improved?

I've read a little of Wurts - loved his and Feists "Empire" series.

I guess it depends how far back you stopped reading him. I loved the 'Voyage of the Jerle Shannara' trilogy. If you dropped him while he was writing the 'Landover' and 'Scions' stuff I fully understand... wasn't so good.

I'd recommend trying some of Ms Wurts early work like Stormwarden etc as an intro... Wars of Light and Shadow is pretty heavy on the verbiage.
Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:50

Stopped at Scions and Landover and couldn't bring myself to read Voyages.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:57

I'm currently on "Superted battles the skagheads". More of a community book than anything. Emotive on a few levels, disects the human psyche.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Mon 24 Sep 2007, 09:58

I guess it depends on taste, but I found the 'Voyage' series to be his best work since the early days. I would recommend at least glancing through the early chapters of Ilse Witch to see if it appeals.

Though I should note I didn't mind Elf Queen of Shannara, the opening and closing books in that series were deeply ordinary.

How do you feel about the final Harry Potter with some time to digest it? A worthy finish I thought.
Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Mon 24 Sep 2007, 10:01

Batfink Begins wrote:I'm currently on "Superted battles the skagheads". More of a community book than anything. Emotive on a few levels, disects the human psyche.

I watched Superted as a small child... good memories.Very Happy
Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 24 Sep 2007, 10:09

Leo wrote:
Batfink Begins wrote:I'm currently on "Superted battles the skagheads". More of a community book than anything. Emotive on a few levels, disects the human psyche.

I watched Superted as a small child... good memories.Very Happy

Yeah, though Bulk and Spotty used to do my head in. Cracking end theme tune.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 24 Sep 2007, 10:09

I'm currently reading 'The Mitrokhin Archive' a big long ass book about the KGB
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Mon 24 Sep 2007, 11:38

"Life During Wartime" - Lucius Shepard. A few pages in, seems okay if not outstanding. Just finished "The Unteleported Man" by Philip K Dick. Very good, a little weird, needed a longer ending.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Mon 24 Sep 2007, 11:44

I've generally stopped reading fiction but did dust off Arthur C. Clarke's "Sands of Mars" the other day after 20 years. Fantastic stuff, i might try and hunt down a copy of "A fall of Moondust".

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 24 Sep 2007, 12:11

Salmon fishing in the Yemen. Quite good so far.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Sep 2007, 22:30

I'm nearly at the end now of the fourth Harry Potter book - The Goblet of Fire, and have to say that I'm hooked!

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 24 Sep 2007, 22:33

ten years after wrote:I've generally stopped reading fiction but did dust off Arthur C. Clarke's "Sands of Mars" the other day after 20 years. Fantastic stuff, i might try and hunt down a copy of "A fall of Moondust".

Ah, haven't read Clarke in a while. Will go back to him and Bradbury soon.

Reading a collection of short stories by some mystery writers on Chandler's Philip Marlowe as the principal character.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 24 Sep 2007, 22:34

Demelza wrote:I'm nearly at the end now of the fourth Harry Potter book - The Goblet of Fire, and have to say that I'm hooked!

I'm afraid the standards start dipping after this one.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Tue 25 Sep 2007, 01:49

Book 5 is relatively weak Dem, but hang in there for 6/7. Worth the wait IMHO.
Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Sep 2007, 03:24

In Praise of Idleness - Bertrand Russell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Tue 25 Sep 2007, 03:28

Demelza wrote:I'm nearly at the end now of the fourth Harry Potter book - The Goblet of Fire, and have to say that I'm hooked!
Working your way up to 'The Cat in the Hat'?
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Tue 25 Sep 2007, 07:51

Just about to start on Michael Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White, looks interesting. Read Le Carre's The Constant Gardener while on holiday amongst a few decetive novels and other holiday reading and had my distrust of gobal corporations made even deeper.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next