Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited

+27
Hass
leg glancer
Big_Bad_Bob
PearlJ
furriner
prasad14
skully
Winkle Spinner
filosofee
LeFromage
Eric Air Emu
taipan
lardbucket
freddled gruntbuggly
eowyn
Invader Zim
doremi
Lara Lara Laughs
ten years after
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
Brass Monkey
tac
embee
Henry Nolonga
Leo
JGK
31 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited - Page 3 Empty Re: What book are you reading at the moment - revisited

Post by JGK Sun 18 May 2008, 11:10

I'm still reading Jeremy Clarkson's latest collection.

I manage to get through about 2 car reviews per dump.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited - Page 3 Empty Re: What book are you reading at the moment - revisited

Post by Winkle Spinner Sun 18 May 2008, 11:21

I read this Asimov short story the other day. It's brilliant, and only takes about ten minutes of your life. Follow the link and I guarantee it'll be ten minutes well spent. Whatever you do, though, don't skip to the end, as that will completely ruin it. There's a brilliant twist, too.

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 18 May 2008, 11:46

Winkle Spinner wrote:I read this Asimov short story the other day. It's brilliant, and only takes about ten minutes of your life. Follow the link and I guarantee it'll be ten minutes well spent. Whatever you do, though, don't skip to the end, as that will completely ruin it. There's a brilliant twist, too.

Nice.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 18 May 2008, 12:57

Just started Tristram Shandy, a reprint of the original first edition text.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 18 May 2008, 13:03

I read Calvin and Hobbes in the Sundy papers today. Full of pathos and clever humour. I highly recommend it to all.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105950
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by prasad14 Mon 19 May 2008, 05:23

Wheel of time series had so much potential. As it stands its just an average series. May be some one can make it into a 3 book series, which is what it should have been in the first place.

I am currently reading Steven Erikson's 'A tale of the Malazan book of the fallen' series and its very very impressive.

I have to say its the best fantasy fiction I have read to date. Wink

prasad14

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 19 May 2008, 05:46

Winkle Spinner wrote:I read this Asimov short story the other day. It's brilliant, and only takes about ten minutes of your life. Follow the link and I guarantee it'll be ten minutes well spent. Whatever you do, though, don't skip to the end, as that will completely ruin it. There's a brilliant twist, too.

Read it a long time ago. Still reads well.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 19 May 2008, 05:58

prasad14 wrote:Wheel of time series had so much potential. As it stands its just an average series. May be some one can make it into a 3 book series, which is what it should have been in the first place.

I am currently reading Steven Erikson's 'A tale of the Malazan book of the fallen' series and its very very impressive.

Have you read Georgee RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire"?

WoT started off well and then became crushed under its own weight.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 19 May 2008, 06:09

furriner wrote:

Why would it not read well now? Presumably something that is good will always be so?
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943

Back to top Go down

Post by prasad14 Mon 19 May 2008, 06:44

JGK wrote:
prasad14 wrote:Wheel of time series had so much potential. As it stands its just an average series. May be some one can make it into a 3 book series, which is what it should have been in the first place.

Have you read Georgee RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire"?

WoT started off well and then became crushed under its own weight.

George RR Martin is brilliant, I would say a close second (really really really close) to Erikson.

And if you thought Martin is ruthless with his characters you would be surprised when you read Erikson.

Martin's 'A dance with Dragons' and Erikson's 'Toll the Hounds' will release this summer.

I am not sure they will have India realese immediately. If they don't, I will just have to cop up a few bucks more to get them from Amazon.

prasad14

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 19 May 2008, 06:45

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
furriner wrote:

Why would it not read well now? Presumably something that is good will always be so?

Some literature just doesn't stand the test of time, LLL . . . especially the science fantasy stuff. However, look at classic stuff like Hardy and Meredith . . . which many people now find unreadable . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 19 May 2008, 06:53

> Martin's 'A dance with Dragons' ... will release this summer.

Phurt - I've given up trusting anything that bastard says about the release date. That book is already 4 years late.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by prasad14 Mon 19 May 2008, 06:53

Sci-fi books may not be as appealing few years down the line. They are like Sci-fi movies...

I like to read P G Wodehouse books and that guy died long before I was born.

prasad14

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 19 May 2008, 06:56

WoT - I should have given up at about the 6th book, so should Jordan. He kept stretching it and twisting it till it's all stale and confused.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by prasad14 Mon 19 May 2008, 06:58

JGK wrote:> Martin's 'A dance with Dragons' ... will release this summer.

Phurt - I've given up trusting anything that bastard says about the release date. That book is already 4 years late.

With so close to release date, I doubt he can back off now.

One of the things abt long series is authors taking lot of time to write the books.

I thought Stephen King is still writing some series he started some 20 or so years back.

Robert Jordan is dead and some poor guy is going to be continuing his work.

prasad14

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 19 May 2008, 19:19

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
furriner wrote:

Because your tastes in, expectations of and ability to evaluate/critique any writing also change.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 19 May 2008, 19:39

So, if I wanted to start reading George RR Martin, which one should go first. Song of Ica and Fire?
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by PearlJ Mon 19 May 2008, 19:45

Fatty Batter by Michael Simkins. Very light with some amusing passages about cricket tragics.
PearlJ
PearlJ

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited - Page 3 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3599
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon 19 May 2008, 20:36

Nice.

Saw the ending coming, but nicely done all the same.

Used to read quite a bit of Asimov, but never came across this one before.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited - Page 3 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Mon 19 May 2008, 21:27

I loved the Robot novel series, thought foundation trilogy was OK, but I absolutely loved Asimov's short stories -- very succinct and very readable! I have not come accross the one you posted though, it was a nice read... THANK YOU Very Happy
leg glancer
leg glancer

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 19 May 2008, 21:34

Yup, Asimov's a magician with the short story.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Mon 19 May 2008, 22:31

No problem.

Another slightly longer one, this time, My favourite author revisiting my least favourite (but still very good, not to mention most famous) of his works. Actually a bit depressing.

http://www.huxley.net/bnw-revisited/index.html
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Tue 20 May 2008, 01:23

I'm reading Robert Dallek's biography of Jack Kennedy.

Dallek doesn't have alot of flourish in his writing, but he is serviceable and engaging. He's also done a lot of research, which is the key to any good biography.

I'm up to the Cuban Missile Crisis so it's all getting rather exciting - even if I know how everything turns out.

Hass

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Tue 20 May 2008, 01:29

I'm reading Deltora Quest with mini Mick. Very exciting. Embarassed
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Tue 20 May 2008, 09:27

Don Quixote. Finally.
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

What book are you reading at the moment - revisited - Page 3 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next