Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony

+14
*Buckaroo*
Ash
JKLever
furriner
please don't yell
doremi
embee
Merlin
Brass Monkey
Anniyan
The One
Henry
skully
SG
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony Empty Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony

Post by SG Tue 25 Sep 2007, 04:59

This was what Shoaib Malik said during yesterday's presentation ceremony.

"First of all I want to say something over here. I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony Empty Re: Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony

Post by SG Tue 25 Sep 2007, 05:00

Does he think all the muslims of the world would've rooted for Pak regardless of their nationalities?

He perhaps forgot that there is still a hindu (Danish Kaneria) who has been playing for his team for last 4-5 years. How utterly disgusted Kaneria might've felt hearing his test captain questioning his loyalty to Pak cricket, not directly though. MoYo, previously YoYo was also a devout christian before converting to muslim 2-3 years ago. So to that effect, his loyalty to Pak cricket means nothing.

Or that MoM in the final was a muslim who played for his opponents or someone who came all the way from India for the final itself to cheer India, was also a muslim.

SG

Back to top Go down

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony Empty Re: Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony

Post by skully Tue 25 Sep 2007, 05:13

I may be wrong, but isn't this a bit of an over-reaction SG? Pretty much every Pakistani I have seen interviewed before a podium interview thanks his god. I think Malik was just extending this to the followers of his god.

Anyway, your side won, why get bent out of shape over what may or may not been an intentional offensive remark. Winners are grinners.

Last edited by on Tue 25 Sep 2007, 05:18; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 25 Sep 2007, 05:15

I think issues like religion, race should be best kept away from sports atleast.

And Malik should not've forgotton that he was not merely representing his national team. He was speaking on the biggest stage for cricket. So in that sense, he was representing the game of cricket as well.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 25 Sep 2007, 05:18

Fair enough.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 25 Sep 2007, 05:23

Pretty much every Pakistani I have seen interviewed before a posium interview thanks his god.
skully,

I think thanking god and thanking all the followers of the religion are bit different, especially when we see the whole world has become such a cosmopolitan society.

I'd've said this even if my team lost.

BTW, have you ever heard anyone from Eng, Aus, NZ or SA thanking christians, an Indian thanking hindus, a SLan thanking buddhists, etc on a world stage like that?

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 25 Sep 2007, 05:27

Fair enough.
I think Malik should realise that religion is such a touchy issue. It should best be left with religious heads of that religion to discuss it.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 25 Sep 2007, 05:44

I only hope that those comments were either due to slip of his tongue or due to English not being his first language.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 25 Sep 2007, 06:36

He's a 25 year old in the very early stages of captaincy and English isnt his first language. I think you're reading a bit too much into this, SG.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:01

what was funnier was afridi's remark 'congratulations to all the indian nations'

saw the match with a bunch of friends and my muslim friends were very, very pissed off with shoaib's remarks. complete wtf reaction

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:24

And a Muslim roots for India!
Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony 80092
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:25

What was with the fake looking "ICC VIP" badge?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:26

Yeah, I thought that was totally ghastly. How dare he bring conjecture of a theistic nature into his thank you speech. Totally uncalled for and just totally wrong. To me, it's total fundamentalist brainwashing. It's not like I'd have thanked all the Christian nations for the win, that would include so many that didn't GAF. So, he thanked the likes of the Kosovans, Saudi's etc. who almost definitely didn't even know anything like this was going on. Sport and religion dont mix and never have.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:29

Anniyan wrote:And a Muslim roots for India!
Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony 80092

and wins the MoM for india as well. would have been hella funny if irfan said 'allah wanted india to win' or something

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:29

Henry wrote:What was with the fake looking "ICC VIP" badge?
More like ... WTF is that?

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:31

He bought his ticket from the Chaser ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:32

[quote="Batfink Begins"]Sport and religion dont mix and never have.[/quote]

The exception being ... banging the Bishop.

Last edited by on Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:32; edited 1 time in total

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:32

Merlin wrote:

Just the man with the biggest fan following in the world.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:33

I can just imagine how people like Kaneria feel after giving their all for their country for so long.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:34

doremi wrote:
Merlin wrote:

I guess 1.5 billion Indian fans deffo gets the vote ... still don't know who the hell he is though!!

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:35

doremi wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Jackie Chan was at the cricket?
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:36

So God has come to Earth in the form of a flambuoyant, flag waving Indian man?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:38

embee wrote:
doremi wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Jackie Chan was at the cricket?

He's supposed to eclipse everyone else in absolute numbers, though I don't know.

And no Trev, Tendulkar was not present that day in Jo'burg, and neither does he wave Indian flags much. Wears it in his helmet.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:44

For Gawds sake - who the hell is this guy that's allegedly got the sub continent at its feet?
Looks like Imran Khan after a week on a calorie controlled diet clutching the wrong flag.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:45

lol, merlin.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next