Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony

+14
*Buckaroo*
Ash
JKLever
furriner
please don't yell
doremi
embee
Merlin
Brass Monkey
Anniyan
The One
Henry
skully
SG
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony - Page 2 Empty Re: Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony

Post by doremi Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:45

An actor. Not a very good one though.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony - Page 2 Empty Re: Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony

Post by embee Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:47

Sharukh Khan or something Merlo ...his names on the match thread ....some bollywood actor
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:50

embee wrote:Sharukh Khan or something Merlo ...his names on the match thread ....some bollywood actor
Ah! Thanks for that MB ... :idea:

Never heard of him.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:54

I've heard the name before. Who would be more famous in India- The country's biggest Bollywood star or the country's biggest cricket star?

Last edited by on Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:54; edited 1 time in total
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:54

Check out his wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahrukh_Khan

it's the dude from everybody loves raymond!

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Tue 25 Sep 2007, 09:56

Henry wrote:I've heard the name before. Who would be more famous in India- The country's biggest Bollywood star or the country's biggest cricket star?

Put a bat in the Bollywood actor's hands and you'll have the answer.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718

Back to top Go down

Post by Anniyan Tue 25 Sep 2007, 12:07

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7011120.stm

Medicine and religion should not mix either!
Anniyan
Anniyan

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : sl

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 25 Sep 2007, 12:21

Huge offer awaits Twenty20 champs

New World Twenty20 champions India will be invited to play a match worth £2.47m against a West Indies all-star side.

The best players from next year's Stanford Twenty20 tournament will be chosen for the Stanford Super Team.

India earned the invitation to meet them after beating Pakistan by five runs in Monday's inaugural ICC World Twenty20 final in Johannesburg.

Billionaire Texan Sir Allen Stanford, who lives in Antigua, is behind the project, putting up the $5m prize.

Stanford said: "Since this is the first World Twenty20 and that is the format of our tournament, we felt it was fitting to have the winners play our team next year."

Stanford organised a game between his Super Team and South Africa last year, after the first running of the island tournament, won by Guyana.

But the match, set to take place in November, was cancelled because of a scheduling conflict.

The second running of the Stanford Twenty20 takes place for the second time in January and February and includes 21 islands.

Stanford's Twenty20 project has the backing of the West Indies Cricket Board.

WICB president Julian Hunte said: "I am extremely pleased to be working with the Stanford Twenty20 board in their initiatives to bring West Indies cricket back to its former glories.

"This added international component will go a long way to achieving that goal."

SG

Number of posts : 12806

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 25 Sep 2007, 12:57

I heard that India had decided before the final that they wouldnt play in the match if they won the tournament. Stanford said that the plan B was to get Australia to play in the game. I assume they'd play it before their series against the West Indies in march next year.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:02

Mukul Kesavan
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:17

Then the Pakistan captain said something that was so irrelevant that I couldn't believe my ears. So I looked at the highlights over and over again to make sure that I'd actually heard him say it. This is what he said to master of ceremonies, Ravi Shastri, who asked him a sympathetic question about the game after Shoaib had collected his loser's medal:

"First of all I want to say something over here. I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

This is what he said word for word because it's important to quote him correctly. The problem here isn't the syntax, it is the sentiment. I don't expect Shoaib Malik to be a politically correct intellectual, but it is reasonable to expect him to know the world of cricket that he inhabits.
It is a world where Muslims, Hindus and a Sikh currently play for England, where Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and a Hindu play for Sri Lanka, where Hashim Amla turns out for South Africa, where a Patel plays for New Zealand, where Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Hindus play (and have always played) for India.

Why would Shoaib think, then, that the Muslims of the world were collectively rooting for the Pakistan team or that they felt let down by its defeat? Did he stop to think of how Danish Kaneria, his Hindu team-mate, might feel hearing his Test skipper all but declare that the Pakistan team is a Muslim team that plays for the Muslims of the world? It is one thing to be publicly religious—Shahid Afridi thanked Allah and Matt Hayden and Shaun Pollock are proud, believing Christians—quite another to declare that your country's cricket eleven bats for international Islam.

Is this the forum to talk about this? Shouldn't Cricinfo and cricket's online community stick to cricket and leave issues like this alone? No we shouldn't, because Shoaib Malik chose to make it our business by saying it in team colours at the end of the ICC World Twenty20 final. He said something that goes to the heart of cricket's loyalties, its culture, its plurality of race and faith and language. If Shoaib took in nothing else about the final, he must have noticed that the bowler who took his wicket was called Irfan Khan Pathan, that the Indian team's most visible cheerleader, the guy who was hugging Indian players in turn at the end of the game, was one Shah Rukh Khan. I feel a residual distaste in even mentioning their names because both Shah Rukh and Irfan are admired in India for what they've achieved, not who they are. But sometimes it is important to spell things out and Shoaib could do with the instruction.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:37

Batfink Begins wrote:Then the Pakistan captain said something that was so irrelevant that I couldn't believe my ears. So I looked at the highlights over and over again to make sure that I'd actually heard him say it. This is what he said to master of ceremonies, Ravi Shastri, who asked him a sympathetic question about the game after Shoaib had collected his loser's medal:

"First of all I want to say something over here. I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

This is what he said word for word because it's important to quote him correctly. The problem here isn't the syntax, it is the sentiment. I don't expect Shoaib Malik to be a politically correct intellectual, but it is reasonable to expect him to know the world of cricket that he inhabits.
It is a world where Muslims, Hindus and a Sikh currently play for England, where Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and a Hindu play for Sri Lanka, where Hashim Amla turns out for South Africa, where a Patel plays for New Zealand, where Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Hindus play (and have always played) for India.

Why would Shoaib think, then, that the Muslims of the world were collectively rooting for the Pakistan team or that they felt let down by its defeat? Did he stop to think of how Danish Kaneria, his Hindu team-mate, might feel hearing his Test skipper all but declare that the Pakistan team is a Muslim team that plays for the Muslims of the world? It is one thing to be publicly religious—Shahid Afridi thanked Allah and Matt Hayden and Shaun Pollock are proud, believing Christians—quite another to declare that your country's cricket eleven bats for international Islam.

Is this the forum to talk about this? Shouldn't Cricinfo and cricket's online community stick to cricket and leave issues like this alone? No we shouldn't, because Shoaib Malik chose to make it our business by saying it in team colours at the end of the ICC World Twenty20 final. He said something that goes to the heart of cricket's loyalties, its culture, its plurality of race and faith and language. If Shoaib took in nothing else about the final, he must have noticed that the bowler who took his wicket was called Irfan Khan Pathan, that the Indian team's most visible cheerleader, the guy who was hugging Indian players in turn at the end of the game, was one Shah Rukh Khan. I feel a residual distaste in even mentioning their names because both Shah Rukh and Irfan are admired in India for what they've achieved, not who they are. But sometimes it is important to spell things out and Shoaib could do with the instruction.

Very well thought out post.

Now where is Ngam and what have you done with him? Shocked Very Happy
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:40

*sigh* furri have you clicked on the link provided above?
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:43

furriner wrote:Very well thought out post.

I can do well thought out. But all I was doing was posting the relevant part of the link. Because, basically, WGAF how pleased the Indian players/crowd or whatever were.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:47

Batfink Begins wrote:
furriner wrote:Very well thought out post.

I can do well thought out. But all I was doing was posting the relevant part of the link. Because, basically, WGAF how pleased the Indian players/crowd or whatever were.

doremi wrote:*sigh* furri have you clicked on the link provided above?

Oops. My bad.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:56

Hehehe... Classic forumming Very Happy
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:56

distasteful, yes. surprising, no.
Ash
Ash

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 25 Sep 2007, 14:59

The more I think about it, the more I find it a total disgrace.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 25 Sep 2007, 15:04

Batfink Begins wrote:quite another to declare that your country's cricket eleven bats for international Islam.

Aye, thats the most distasteful part about it.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Tue 25 Sep 2007, 15:15

"First of all I want to say something over here. I want to thank you
back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

his coach and trainer are excluded from his comiserations.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 25 Sep 2007, 15:16

JKLever wrote:Hehehe... Classic forumming Very Happy

I strive for excellence.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Wed 26 Sep 2007, 02:06

What is happening to Pakistani Cricket is a reflection of where the nation is headed. If the nation clearly separated state from relgion and set an example it will follow through in other institutions. Easy said than done given Pakistan's history.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Wed 26 Sep 2007, 02:15

Being a secular nation doesn't seem to have harmed the seppos...well apart from 9/11 and such like.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Wed 26 Sep 2007, 02:36

All governments should be secular: No country should have a highest authority who can't be held responsible if he screws up. At the same time, all countries should have religious freedom.
mynah
mynah

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Wed 26 Sep 2007, 03:07

I thought secular == religious freedom .
HH_pink
HH_pink

Distasteful remarks by Malik during presentation ceremony - Page 2 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next