Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aussie Forummers: The Howard Years

+11
Red
Para Batsman
Fred Nerk
Bradman
horace
JGK
Henry
skully
G.Wood
tac
Paul Keating
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Aussie Forummers: The Howard Years Empty Aussie Forummers: The Howard Years

Post by Paul Keating Mon 17 Nov 2008, 02:35

starts tonight at 8.30pm on ABC

Interested in what the Little One has to say.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Aussie Forummers: The Howard Years Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Aussie Forummers: The Howard Years Empty Re: Aussie Forummers: The Howard Years

Post by tac Mon 17 Nov 2008, 02:38

The Howard years . . . not surprising they coincided with the glory years of Oz cricket.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 17 Nov 2008, 02:48

Aye. Good times all round
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 17 Nov 2008, 02:57

Farkin oath. Prosperous times in both life and the cricket field. LJH - Legend.

PMSL at the reception that qunt Krudd got when greeted by George W in the States on the weekend. What.a.pr!ck (yeah, both of 'em).
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105885
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:05

You know, gentlemen, I'm not sure this is the response PK (aka Pete) was looking for . . . Laughing
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:05

Huh? Since when did Howard become the best thing since sliced bread? When I left, Rudd was the dogs bollocks and Howard was a cold relic of the past. Now you yearn for that racist, US arse licking bald, short sighted c*nt as PM?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:07

tac wrote:You know, gentlemen, I'm not sure this is the response PK (aka Pete) was looking for . . . Laughing

I don't indulge in fantasies
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:25

tac wrote:The Howard years . . . not surprising they coincided with the glory years of Oz cricket.

Aye - both had their roots in the changes made in the late 80s/ early 90s.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:31

From Crikey today:

This is an edited extract of Janette Howard’s interview with the ABC for The Howard Years. The program’s producers were unable to include any of this material:

The biggest problem with our Government was the amazing numbers of ****wits, dipsticks and ****tards in it. I said to John even before we were elected, I said to him "John," I said, "there’s not a single ****ing brain cell between the ****ing lot of them, I’ve never seen such a pack of ***eclowns." And he agreed.

At the first Cabinet meeting -- I had to run most of them in the first few years because bloody John didn’t have a ****ing clue, he said "well Malcolm used to do it this way" and I said "I don’t give a **** how Fraser did it, what the **** did he know?" -- I looked at the whole ****ing lot of them and I said "what a ****ing crew. To think you *****s are running the ****ing country. We’re going to have to do all ****ing work our ****ing selves."

Anyway we got rid of a few of them in the first years with all those ****ing travel rorts and eventually I called a halt and said "John," I said, "if we keep this up there’ll be no ****ing bastard left. You’ll have to promote Petro ****ing Georgiou and Wilson ****ey and I’m not having that."

There was one person I couldn’t abide. Not Costello. I mean we hated him, smirking little ****, but I tell you the one person I could never stomach was that bloody John Fahey. I told him time after time not to ****ing smoke in Kirribilli but I’d come home and there he’d be, his feet up on the pouffe like Lord Muck watching the football, smoking like a chimney. 'The puffer on the pouffe' I called him. And he’d cough something terrible. Like a ****ing steam train going up a ****ing mountain. I always said one day he’d cough up a ****ing lung and eventually that’s what he did. I called him "One Lung John" after that. Silly ****wit.

By about 2001 John had started to get the hang of chairing Cabinet. The poor little dear can be a bit slow on the uptake. Sometimes he just let Tim Fischer start rambling on about some ****ing walk he’d taken somewhere in the mountains and I’d have to say "Tim, love, no one gives a flying **** about your hike or your trains or what the **** ever so just sit there quietly will you dear?" I always had to sit on the same side as Richard Alston because I couldn’t handle that man’s eyes. God. He’s like some ****ing psycho staring at you. He unnerved me, he really did, when he left Cabinet I told John that he had to be sent out of the country, I didn’t want to run the ****ing risk of ever running into him. Ugh. Creepy.

I tell you who I didn’t mind was that Kim Beazley. Kim knew his place, which was on the other side of the chamber. I said to Kim once at some do, "Kim, you’re a lovely man and I hope you lead the Labor Party forever." He started on some ****ing anecdote about Chester A. Arthur or Ulysses S. Grant or Ward Pally Austin or some ***** and I said "enough GBH of the eardrums, Kim, it’s bad enough having to listen to that little toady Downer all day."

Downer was forever getting in the way trying to be ob-****ing-sequious to John, I don’t know how a man that tall could get underfoot so much I really don’t. But they put in that Simon Crean and then that Mark Latham character. Don’t get me started on that ****ing Latham ****. That ****ing **** ****ing **** a ****ing ****wit **** in the *****ing ****, and I ****ing said to John ****ing ****ball ****tard should ****ing **** **** ****ward **** for the rest of the ****ing decade.” I didn’t like him.

Now I know you want to ask me about this so I’ll ****ing get right to the point. John had this absolute ****ing BRAIN SNAP in 2007 and decided he was going to quit. I’d been busting a ****ing gut on APEC all year. I was the ****ing one who did all the ****ing work for that ****ing thing, planning the ****ing security, the ****menus, the ****ing clothes, the ****ing meetings. I got no help from anyone except that nice Mr Watkins from NSW who was a pleasure to work with and handsome in a proper sort of way, I quite liked him.

Anyway, I’d worked my ****ing arse off all year and John starts whingeing "I think I should quit, they don’t want me to stay, they think they’ll lose with me." And I hit the ****ing roof and told him he either stayed in the job or he could start looking for a couch to sleep on. And he says in this pathetic little voice "but Janette, what about the party?" And I said to him "John Winston Howard the only party you need to worry about is the one where I ****ing caught you looking at that ****ing Condoleezza Rice woman." And he gives me these big cow eyes god bless him. Back in 1967 about he made this so-called "joke" about how “once you’ve had black you never go back.” I never forgot that. And I caught him looking at that Rice woman when we went to America one time and he was in the doghouse for a few months.

So we went to the ****ing reception and there was no more talk of resignations. And that ****ing Rice woman stayed right away from my husband. Sow.

The thing I remember most about the Howard years is work. Hard ****ing work. I couldn’t rely on the Cabinet, and most of the time I couldn’t even rely on John. I just had to bloody do it myself. In the end it was almost a relief that we lost, I was getting bone tired day after day doing it all. Politics is a really tough job.

The Howard Years (sans Janette) screens tonight on ABC1

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:31

...a good argument for radio...
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:45

He'll always have my thanks for going after the guns. Though the downside of that was it was harder to get your hands on one when he needed topping.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 17 Nov 2008, 03:47

Bradman wrote:He'll always have my thanks for going after the guns. Though the downside of that was it was harder to get your hands on one when he needed topping.

...agreed...it was good public policy between the feds and the States tho LJH took the heat...

doubt he and Mrs Toad will ever holiday in Gympie or the Wide Bay Burnett area
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Nov 2008, 04:04

There's a rumour that the Poly pipe industry rep body have a shrine to him at their headquarters.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 17 Nov 2008, 05:50

Hmm, life under LJH, compared to life under Krudd? I think the last 3 words of the last sentence sums up where we are at the moment.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 17 Nov 2008, 05:52

I'd forgotten how much labor supporters are like subis
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 17 Nov 2008, 05:53

Sage. Farkin massive chips the lot of 'em . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Nov 2008, 05:58

Rather a chip than a lemming.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 17 Nov 2008, 05:59

to prove the point
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 17 Nov 2008, 06:06

He's going to tell us it was all just a wind-up, a Chaser-style stunt that got out of hand, and in fact he never really was PM and his swearing-in was a TV stunt with Eddie Perfect palying him and Max Gillies the GG.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8806
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Nov 2008, 06:08

Winners' are grinners (if we're going to plum the depths of meaningless, dare I say POINTless one liners).
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 17 Nov 2008, 06:09

G.Wood wrote:to prove the point

Man, it's like you've got 'im trained. bradders the whack-a-mole . . . just keeps popping his head up for another thump . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 17 Nov 2008, 06:18

No matter what happens, LJH will always be able to say "I lead the country in prosperous times AND WE FARKIN SMASHED EVERYONE AT CRICKET."
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Nov 2008, 06:22

No just a puerile exchange of half smart comments. I've been exchanging them with him and others for eight years. You should join in when you can upgrade to puerile.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 17 Nov 2008, 06:31

Bradman wrote:No just a puerile exchange of half smart comments. I've been exchanging them with him and others for eight years. You should join in when you can upgrade to puerile.

Oh, that's right . . I remember the other evening when you were trying to prove how manly you were by asking people to join in homosexual acts . . . all a bit confusing in the end . . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 17 Nov 2008, 06:40

Well I did say puerile which means childish and thus the opposite of manly, and I used the word in reference to my occasional puerile conversations with others (when SFA is going on) so what's your point?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next