Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

+37
Henry
G.Wood
buckSH
OP Tipping
lardbucket
Big Dog
The One
Anthony_Gonzales
DJ_Smerk
tricycle
Batman
Red
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
Basil
Allan D
simkat
horace
Winkle Spinner
PeterCS
doremi
Jontyh
skully
freddled gruntbuggly
Paul Keating
taipan
Bradman
JGK
Big_Bad_Bob
eowyn
tac
Eric Air Emu
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
furriner
PlanetPakistan
Sasha
41 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 4 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by Jontyh Thu 09 Sep 2010, 16:07

I tend to agree with you re Doors Open ( and I had a nagging feeling that I'd read something similar before ) - was still enjoyable enough to finish though.

I don't agree with your assessment of Fox, mind. His problems with authority stemmed from being manipulated by his superiors and weren't apparent prior to that. I think your perception of him as a misfit might be because he's alienated by not boozing unless you spotted something I didn't (quite plausibly!).

Have you read Blood Hunt? That's another non-Rebus one I read recently, but I have a feeling it was written a while ago under a pseudonym and has recently been re-issued as a Rankin. Full of Seppo spellings for some reason..
Jontyh
Jontyh

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 4 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 4 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by PeterCS Fri 10 Sep 2010, 00:46

You may be right about Fox - I read it virtually when it came out, some of the details are a bit hazy now. But I think - though Rankin has characterised Rebus as being a bit older, a bit more cynical (slightly) and more conservative than himself - he has always been basically on Rebus's side vis-a-vis his superiors. So the "subjective" difference as against Fox doesn't feel that large. If you see what I mean.

Blood Hunt, yes, by "Jack Harvey". I think I have probably just about read all the fiction Rankin has published. Even the graphic novel.

Blood Hunt. Wasn't great. It's clear that as Jack Harvey, the author was lusting for more of an "action thriller" persona ... also in some early books seeking the cast of a psychological thriller - the first three Rebus included, also the early "The Flood", which FWIW I thought against expectations (and damning reviews) was a good read and (surprisingly) plausibly constructed, some elements like The Falls, if you know that one. And also at least one spy novel.

You will know that Rankin never set out to be a "crime writer", but a writer of imaginative fiction - but couldn't escape the narrow shelf, and grew more towards it, while trying to smuggle in as much topography, psychology and character portraiture as he could. He resisted for a while partly because he wasn't primarily interested in "crime" as such, partly because of the financial lure but status belittlement and condescension in literary circles towards "genre fiction".

Again FWIW, of the non-Rebus novels - and while aware you can't do this legitimately, each book has its strengths and weaknesses - I would rank them in this descending order:

1. Bleeding Hearts (very good indeed - up with the best of Rebus)
2. Witch Hunt - slightly preposterous maybe, but gripping, well written
3. The Flood
4. Blood Hunt - hmmmm. A bit daft. A lot of running around, relentless car driving, etc. But a bit like a Steven Seagal movie in print.
5. Watchman - well, it has its moments I guess, but like John Le Carre' on a very bad day for the most part. I'd prefer Prohias' Spy vs Spy to be honest.

phew.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 20 Mar 2012, 09:31

Simon Pegg's autobiography.

I'm about eight shits in.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 09:44

Jontyh wrote:I tend to agree with you re Doors Open ( and I had a nagging feeling that I'd read something similar before ) - was still enjoyable enough to finish though.

I don't agree with your assessment of Fox, mind. His problems with authority stemmed from being manipulated by his superiors and weren't apparent prior to that. I think your perception of him as a misfit might be because he's alienated by not boozing unless you spotted something I didn't (quite plausibly!).

Have you read Blood Hunt? That's another non-Rebus one I read recently, but I have a feeling it was written a while ago under a pseudonym and has recently been re-issued as a Rankin. Full of Seppo spellings for some reason..

read the second Fox one a couple of weeks ago. Looks like he might have completely retired Rebus.

Busy with A Dance with Dragons. Number 5 in Ice abd Fire.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 09:56

Switching between 'How I Escaped My Certain Fate' by Stewart Lee and 'The Anubis Gates' by Tim Powers continuing my steampunk fetish... it's not serving me well at all. I should just pick one, but I'm such a greedy baby.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:08

Oh yes, also reading an old Elizabeth George I downloeded to iPad.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:24

taipan wrote:Oh yes, also reading an old Elizabeth George I downloeded to iPad.

I've read all EG's novels.

Currently reading 'My Policeman' which is set in Brighton, England.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:32

Red wrote:

I've read most of them but missed a couple in the middle.

Author?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:49

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:

Author?

Bethan Roberts. It got good reviews, am enjoying it - well written too.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:05

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:

Author?

BTW, if you like EG you might also enjoy other Brtish crime authors Peter Robinson and Deborah Crombie if you haven't come across them. Obviously people read Ian Rankin.

And a couple of SA crime writers I enjoy are Deon Meyer and Margie Orford.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:10

The new Alan Moore book 'Jerusalem' is set in the place where upon you'd find me living. Sexy, eh? That should sell a few more copies.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:12

Red wrote:
taipan wrote:
Red wrote:

Author?

BTW, if you like EG you might also enjoy other Brtish crime authors Peter Robinson and Deborah Crombie if you haven't come across them. Obviously people read Ian Rankin.

Tried Robinson, but preferred Reginald Hill, but he's just snuffed it.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:25

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:
Red wrote:

Author?

Tried Robinson, but preferred Reginald Hill, but he's just snuffed it.

Didn't read Hill but watched his tv series.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:39

You should try Hill. The books are way better than the series. You don't get the interaction and the humour between Dalziel, Pascoe, Ellie and Wield in the series.

Also the books are very politically incorrect.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:50

taipan wrote:You should try Hill. The books are way better than the series. You don't get the interaction and the humour between Dalziel, Pascoe, Ellie and Wield in the series.

Also the books are very politically incorrect.

I have one on my shelf but have never got around to reading it. I've a backlog of so many it's frustrating and then they keep publishing more!
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:02

Whoaaaa... WTF are you two and what have you done with 'Nigel' and 'Annabelle'??????
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:08

Jealous Daniel?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:10

Well, I'm choked up. But that's more in happiness, I knew you kids would make it.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:12

You can't fight it forever.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:14

REO Speedwagon had some poignant songs in their armoury.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:25

Last few months I have been catching up on all Hardy Boys paperbacks. What started as an insane moment of purchasing some old second hand paperbacks off the street out of nostalgia has blown into a new found joy of reading [ones not read before] and re-reading ones I had in school. Sure they seem dated now but are still a lot of fun to read and a lot of them are still a great read. I find the more violent and mature Casefiles series now more interesting compared to the original Mystery series. So far have bought 150 of them from both runs dirt cheap second hand. Makes for a refreshing breather from my standard Stephen Kings, John Grishams, Dan Browns, Richard Prices and Eric Van Lustbaders. I am also re-living the world of Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzen books which is another incredible, exciting world to travel through words.
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:28

Batman wrote:Last few months I have been catching up on all Hardy Boys paperbacks. What started as an insane moment of purchasing some old second hand paperbacks off the street out of nostalgia has blown into a new found joy of reading [ones not read before] and re-reading ones I had in school. Sure they seem dated now but are still a lot of fun to read and a lot of them are still a great read. I find the more violent and mature Casefiles series now more interesting compared to the original Mystery series. So far have bought 150 of them from both runs dirt cheap second hand. Makes for a refreshing breather from my standard Stephen Kings, John Grishams, Dan Browns, Richard Prices and Eric Van Lustbaders. I am also re-living the world of Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzen books which is another incredible, exciting world to travel through words.

Obviously Tintin is next.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:31

See Taips, that was the perfect opportunity to go 'oh yeah, Hardy Boys, nice'. and then this weird world would've been complete.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:32

Brass Monkey wrote:See Taips, that was the perfect opportunity to go 'oh yeah, Hardy Boys, nice'. and then this weird world would've been complete.

He had his chance. He choose seppo pap over the greatness of the Famous Five.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:39

taipan wrote:
Batman wrote:Last few months I have been catching up on all Hardy Boys paperbacks. What started as an insane moment of purchasing some old second hand paperbacks off the street out of nostalgia has blown into a new found joy of reading [ones not read before] and re-reading ones I had in school. Sure they seem dated now but are still a lot of fun to read and a lot of them are still a great read. I find the more violent and mature Casefiles series now more interesting compared to the original Mystery series. So far have bought 150 of them from both runs dirt cheap second hand. Makes for a refreshing breather from my standard Stephen Kings, John Grishams, Dan Browns, Richard Prices and Eric Van Lustbaders. I am also re-living the world of Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzen books which is another incredible, exciting world to travel through words.

Obviously Tintin is next.

Again what would be wrong with reading Tintin comics? TinTin and Asterix comics still are a fan favorite beyond any known age bar.
Anything wrong with Hardy Boys?
Rolling Eyes

TBH I am a comic book fan with a personal collection of 10,000 comics and 1,000 graphic novels. I like reading a lot of stuff from different genres. I can read Alfrd Hitchcock, Frank Millar, Alan Moore, Stephen King and Richard Price, Edgar Allan Poe and Edgar Rice Burroughs with the same passion. These days all these new breed of dark, depressing and ultra vioelnt books just bore me. Whether they are hard core novels, paperbacks or comic books isn't the issue with me. Re-reading some favorites from childhood can be refreshing. I will be targeting the 3 Investigators by Hitchcock next.

Last edited by Batman on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 13:41; edited 1 time in total
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next