Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara

+23
HH_pink
LeFromage
Invader Zim
ten years after
Brass Monkey
Paul Keating
taipan
gh05
horace
eowyn
Lara Lara Laughs
Basil
Merlin
JGK
doremi
The One
DJ_Smerk
tac
Bradman
furriner
Zat
PeterCS
John Wesley Harding
27 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara Empty "Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara

Post by John Wesley Harding Sun 12 Apr 2009, 21:55

Yes, you might say, its stating the obvious. Not something most people already don't know (that is, those who care about cricket at all - a dwindling number in the first place). But forums seem to live in a universe of their own, so sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious ....

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/cricket/cricket-needs-twenty20-for-survival-lara--bi

John Wesley Harding

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-12
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

"Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara Empty Re: "Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara

Post by PeterCS Sun 12 Apr 2009, 22:14

"Apres moi le deluge" - Brian "Louis" Lara, 2009
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

"Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara Empty Re: "Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara

Post by Zat Sun 12 Apr 2009, 22:30

Given his seemingly individual-record-centric method of playing the game, it's hardly surprising he'd be encouraging batsmen to excel at t20. It would leave his records to stand for all time if Tests died.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Apr 2009, 23:32

John Wesley Harding?

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 00:00

It was a Bob Dylan album title.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Apr 2009, 00:05

John Wesley was big in these parts. My question mark was more of a query as to who the new forummer is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 00:08

And my answer was a stab that they're probably fans of Bob Dylan. But let's not get started on a debate of the worth of Dylan.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Apr 2009, 00:16

I've never been touched by Bob Dylan. He means nothing to me.

Funny cos, I was watching on youtube last night, the making of, We Are The World and he features in that, along with one of my old faves, Bruce Springsteen, and Hall and Oates. Was good to see after all these years!

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 00:23

Bob Dylan has written some great songs. He has come up with some of the most sublime lyrics ever.

Unfortunately, most of his works of genius were surrounded by utter shite, churned out at such a prolific rate that it seemed he was trying to be the embodiment of the 'infinite umber of monkeys' theory.

I think it's interesting that when the British recording industry compiled its list of the 100 top-selling albums of all time in the UK, there was not a single Dylan album among them. Not even a 'greatest hits' or 'best songs' compilation.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 00:25

Demelza wrote:I've never been touched by Bob Dylan.
What about a Catholic priest or a Christian brother?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by John Wesley Harding Mon 13 Apr 2009, 01:28

Demelza wrote:I've never been touched by Bob Dylan. He means nothing to me.

I would say it is your loss. Following Dylan is one of many intellectual pursuits (reading Dostoevsky and his most amazing insights into human nature and morality would be another) that are hundred times more worth while than watching some cricket bowler walk back to his bowling mark, a cricket player chatting to a bowler on the field, some cricket batsman adjusting his pads, gently do gardening on the pitch with his bat, and other such activities which comprise of majority of cricket activity. And I have not even gone into the actual game, which has become increasingly sterile. No wonder it is played in front of metal seats day in and day out.

Anyhow, this is a cricket forum, so pardon my digression (though in fairness it was in response to your post). Back to the topic, I think its fairly obvious cricket is a dying sport. Yes, it has always been a minority sport even in most of the handful of post colonial countries it is played in - we all know that. But even there, there are less and less people who give a toss about cricket.

In a recent survey of more than 20,000 kids in London, turned out cricket wasn't even amongst the top 10 sports they play or watch. Again, all of this is self evident - just look at all the guys who have "made it" to the England team. They wouldn't have a prayer in more competitive sports. So they get filtered down to cricket. Which in turn of course means even less interest in cricket for people. Which results in even lesser level of talent. Cricket's cycle of misery and mediocrity.

John Wesley Harding

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 01:39

Yeah, you'll make a heap of worthwhile contributions here... Rolling Eyes

Anyone who says Bob Dylan's music is worth more to the world than cricket shot be crucified.

Line on the left, one cross each...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 13 Apr 2009, 02:39

On the whole I prefer John Wesley Hardin.

But ,welcome to the forum.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 02:40

LOL @ furri. Good research!

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 13 Apr 2009, 02:43

Cheers, Zat, Not much research though.

Surfeit of L'Amour, Strange/ Christian when I was growing up.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 02:54

Still a good call.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:23

reading Dostoevsky and his most amazing insights into human nature and morality

Most of which were rehashed versions of philosophy stretching back to the Ten Commandments and incorporating everything in between.

Dostoyevsky used narrative as a background for his plagiarism.

Someone like Gogol used his narrative to drive his own beliefs.

It was interesting you used Dylan as a comparison. Both himself and Dostoyevsky used crap narrative to drive crap ideas.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:27

Bradders showing a hidden side . . . and calling it pretty farkin rightly in doing so!
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:30

Do I have to agree with Hard on's views?

If he prefers Dostoevsky and Dylan, maybe he should find a book forum.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:33

Or a pretentious, supercilious qunts forum . . .

. . . and, yes, I know that is a set up . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:36

I can actually forsee him being on someones ignore list already.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:41

Only one?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:41

I can see him going the way of Gabba Dan . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:42

Even Bucky has him on ignore.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:42

Mebbe. What music and literature were GD into?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next