Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara

+23
HH_pink
LeFromage
Invader Zim
ten years after
Brass Monkey
Paul Keating
taipan
gh05
horace
eowyn
Lara Lara Laughs
Basil
Merlin
JGK
doremi
The One
DJ_Smerk
tac
Bradman
furriner
Zat
PeterCS
John Wesley Harding
27 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara - Page 2 Empty Re: "Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara

Post by tac Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:45

Whatever they flog off at Harvey Normans . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

"Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara - Page 2 Empty Re: "Cricket is a dying sport" - Brian Lara

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:49

snorfle.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:56

Target is the guy everyone in a forum loves to hate. He brings this upon himself; he may be a known cheater in a game forum, a conservative among liberals, a Windows guy among Mac enthusiasts, or even a man in a women's forum. Why Target places himself in such dicey situations is anyone's guess, but he seems genuinely oblivious to the danger. When Warriors unleash their collective fury upon him his usual reaction is "Hey, what did I do?" or "Why do you all hate me?" Target eventually gets the hint after a while and moves on. NOTE: Target often serves as a useful pressure valve for the forum's pent up hostilities. Therefore, if the current Target has been driven off or immobilized a new target will be quickly selected. CAUTION: Target is a favorite disguise of Troller amd Evil Clown.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 13 Apr 2009, 03:58

That sounds a wee bit like you, smerky . . . or maybe that's just coz you're Welsh . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 13 Apr 2009, 04:02

Target is a favorite disguise of Troller and Evil Clown
Uses too many big words to be Bucky or Dan...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 13 Apr 2009, 04:06

tac wrote:That sounds a wee bit like you, smerky . . . or maybe that's just coz you're Welsh . . .

Maybe in the past I would have cared about "not being liked" on a forum, but nowadays I post and just DGAF really.

I believe if I toned down on the Cymraeg then I might have gained some different responses, possibly even positive ones.

I suppose we're all Targets deep down.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 13 Apr 2009, 04:27

No need to get defensive, laddy . . .
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 13 Apr 2009, 04:30

tac wrote:No need to get defensive, laddy . . .

Reel em in... Laughing Wink
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 13 Apr 2009, 04:31

ummmm . . . I counter that with the Nigel rebuttal: NSR
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 13 Apr 2009, 13:02

WUM v NSR.

Alien v Predator, eat your hearts out.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by John Wesley Harding Mon 13 Apr 2009, 14:33

Zat wrote:Yeah, you'll make a heap of worthwhile contributions here... Rolling Eyes

Anyone who says Bob Dylan's music is worth more to the world than cricket shot be crucified.

I think the people who can make valuable contribution to cricket are the ones who at one stage cared about cricket. They are probably the ones who can better discuss WHY (and I didn't even go into the so many WHYs) cricket is a dying sport, and if anything can be done to reverse the trend. As opposed to those who never cared about cricket at all. If somehow cricket can get people of the former category into cricket management (they obviously have to be competent in product management and should know the things need to be done to turn around a failing product - no small task, I grant you that), then perhaps there is hope for cricket.

Or cricket can continue to get angry and worked up at anyone showing it the mirror. Denial after all is a very common characteristics of failing entities, like countries.

As for crucifying, you chose the easy task, didn't you? There are a heck of a lot more people all around the world who care about Dylan (thus much easier to find) than those who care about cricket. :-)

John Wesley Harding

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 13 Apr 2009, 14:49

more people care for britney spears than miles davis. but i cant think even many of her die-hard fans would say ms. spears is of more worth to the world

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 13 Apr 2009, 14:50

Cricket is not a dying sport. It's alive, kicking, screaming and thriving. Give or take, there are a billion people who care about cricket in my country alone.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Apr 2009, 14:57

The cover versions of All Along the Watch Tower and Knockin' on Heaven's Door are pretty sweet.

I once spent a weekend determined to get into Dylan but he just never clicked. Very bland playing style, bland voice, forgettable songs (when performed by him anyway) and mountains upon mountains of shit songs. When you find a half decent one it's difficult to enjoy due to the shite that you've sieved through to get to it.

I think the analogy somoene made about monkeys with type writers with infinte time is quite apt in this case. I'd much rather listen to a band who have produced 5 or 6 brilliant albums than a guy who has released 30+ albums with a handful of decent tracks spread across them.

But hey, if you enjoy him then whoopdee f*cking doo, go discuss him on a Dylan forum, I'm sure there are plenty around.

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:01

It's quite clear JWH is a WUM.

And the GNR cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door is crap. Axl Rose (or whatever his name is) should have been shot in the head for destroying such a brilliant song.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:03

doremi wrote:Cricket is not a dying sport. It's alive, kicking, screaming and thriving. Give or take, there are a billion people who care about Indian cricket in my country alone.

Indeed
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:04

Tomato or tamatar, it's the same thing....
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:07

doremi wrote:It's quite clear JWH is a WUM.

And the GNR cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door is crap. Axl Rose (or whatever his name is) should have been shot in the head for destroying such a brilliant song.
I still prefer it to Dylan's. Either way, neither version comes close to Jimmi's cover of All Along the Watch Tower IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:08

Didn't Dylan stop playing it after he heard Jimi's version?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:15

John Wesley Harding wrote:
Zat wrote:Yeah, you'll make a heap of worthwhile contributions here... Rolling Eyes

Anyone who says Bob Dylan's music is worth more to the world than cricket shot be crucified.

I think the people who can make valuable contribution to cricket are the ones who at one stage cared about cricket. They are probably the ones who can better discuss WHY (and I didn't even go into the so many WHYs) cricket is a dying sport, and if anything can be done to reverse the trend. As opposed to those who never cared about cricket at all. If somehow cricket can get people of the former category into cricket management (they obviously have to be competent in product management and should know the things need to be done to turn around a failing product - no small task, I grant you that), then perhaps there is hope for cricket.

Or cricket can continue to get angry and worked up at anyone showing it the mirror. Denial after all is a very common characteristics of failing entities, like countries.

As for crucifying, you chose the easy task, didn't you? There are a heck of a lot more people all around the world who care about Dylan (thus much easier to find) than those who care about cricket. :-)

I still don't quite understand your point. All I see is a Wumbat.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:27

doremi wrote:It's quite clear JWH is a WUM.

Bollocks.
Dylan's version was a dirge gone wrong in the bog of all wrongs.
GNRs was punchy and a shed load more interesting.

Dylan = overrated pseudo "anti-establishment" figure - wrote some good stuff, but a lot more artists have improved his original monotoned dirges.
Example - The Byrds version of Tambourine Man.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:32

If Harding wanted to talk about Dylan, why didn't he name this thread, "The Bob Dylan Thread".

Did Brian Charles Lara even like Dylan? I'm pretty sure their lives haven't crossed paths... Cool
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:36

Dylan's version was a dirge gone wrong in the bog of all wrongs.
GNRs was punchy and a shed load more interesting.

The song is sad-ish. Dylan sang it, not very well admittedly, but as it probably should have been.

GNR's version, the vocals especially, were cringeworthy. He actually goes "Knock knock knockin' on heaveean's do-o-o-o-ooor" at the end. Saved by the fact that they have a kick-ass lead guitar.
doremi
doremi

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 13 Apr 2009, 15:43

Didn't Clapton do the most famous version of KOHD? That was the one they played at the end of the first Lethal Weapon movie.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 13 Apr 2009, 21:05

Demelza wrote:John Wesley Harding Rob unless I'm much mistaken?

Fixed
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next