Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture

+20
ever hopeful
HH_pink
Winkle Spinner
Merlin
DJ_Smerk
Henry
Invader Zim
Eric Air Emu
JKLever
Shoeshine
taipan
PeterCS
LeFromage
Henry Nolonga
Josh Carney
JGK
Fred Nerk
Bradman
G.Wood
Zat
24 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture - Page 4 Empty Re: Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture

Post by taipan Wed 29 Jul 2009, 14:23

Abandon hope ye sinners?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture - Page 4 Empty Re: Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture

Post by Henry Nolonga Wed 29 Jul 2009, 14:23

Pfft. I see that at the Dartford Crossing. I can't believe i have to pay to go into Essex. It should be the other way round.
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 29 Jul 2009, 14:30

Henry Nolonga wrote: I can't believe i have to pay to go into Essex.

We do have standards. It's to keep out all the Kent riff-raff
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Wed 29 Jul 2009, 14:38

I don't think the people who took in Dave Masters can talk about standards Laughing
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Number of posts : 1639
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Wed 29 Jul 2009, 14:39

David Masters...oh dear.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 29 Jul 2009, 14:40

JKLever wrote:
Henry Nolonga wrote: I can't believe i have to pay to go into Essex.

We do have standards. It's to keep out all the Kent riff-raff

Kentish riff-raff?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed 29 Jul 2009, 15:24

Henry Nolonga wrote:I don't think the people who took in Dave Masters can talk about standards Laughing

We feel sorry for the downtrodden, we are not without compassion...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 30 Jul 2009, 02:15

JKLever wrote:The thread is poorly worded. Should be 'Cricket references in countries with no cricket culture'...

You want a thread titled that, you start one...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Thu 30 Jul 2009, 09:10

London is a fantastic place. Wouldn't want to live there for any length of time, but a genuinely exciting place to visit.

Also, keeping it vaguely (only vaguely) related to the thread, I've just finished reading 'life, the universe and everything', which is basically one massive cricket reference, but I am curious, does anyone know if there was a game in 198- at Lords where England required twenty seven runs to win? I suspect not, but I still hope so.
Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 30 Jul 2009, 10:42

Not against Australia there wasn't.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 30 Jul 2009, 10:45

I think Douglas Adams was a cricophile, so there could be something to it. Plus I think he wrote some of the "Doctor Who" episodes with cricket references.

Not that that should be surprising in an English show commissioned by the BEEB.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 30 Jul 2009, 10:48

The match in LU&E was an Ashes match. The book was written in 1983 or 84.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sat 03 Oct 2009, 13:46

In Naked Gun 331/3 toward the end of the film, there is an England Cricket top in one of the scenes.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 03 Oct 2009, 14:41

It's really getting bad if there's three months between posts.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Sun 04 Oct 2009, 00:05

There was a paper on semantic learning where the authors considered using 'cricket' as an example to explain the treatment of polysemy, but settled on 'fly' instead. In the US.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture - Page 4 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Tue 06 Oct 2009, 15:06

Once saw a Farside cartoon with someone getting in a mess putting glue onto a gate and saying something about a sticky wicket. Obviously Gary Larson, who draws the Farside cartoons, had no idea what a sticky wicket really is or where the reference comes from.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Tue 06 Oct 2009, 15:17

Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture - Page 4 _ Re: Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture

Here
mynah
mynah

Cricket references in non-cricket (OK, mostly US) culture - Page 4 APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 06 Oct 2009, 15:26

ever hopeful wrote:Once saw a Farside cartoon with someone getting in a mess putting glue onto a gate and saying something about a sticky wicket. Obviously Gary Larson, who draws the Farside cartoons, had no idea what a sticky wicket really is or where the reference comes from.

I think Gary Larson is Canadian so that might explain it. Or am I thinking of Garry Tudeau?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Fri 30 Oct 2009, 23:35

How about this....

http://www.silive.com/entertainment/recreation/index.ssf/2008/06/get_out_swingers_club.html

Particularly like the last line - "An over is completed after the bowler throws six fair balls". Clearly written by a Murali fan.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:46

Bradman wrote:
ever hopeful wrote:Once saw a Farside cartoon with someone getting in a mess putting glue onto a gate and saying something about a sticky wicket. Obviously Gary Larson, who draws the Farside cartoons, had no idea what a sticky wicket really is or where the reference comes from.

I think Gary Larson is Canadian so that might explain it. Or am I thinking of Garry Tudeau?

Pierre Tudeau?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 31 Oct 2009, 17:21

Gary 111 wrote:How about this....

http://www.silive.com/entertainment/recreation/index.ssf/2008/06/get_out_swingers_club.html

Particularly like the last line - "An over is completed after the bowler throws six fair balls". Clearly written by a Murali fan.

Blimey a Gazza post out of the blue. How do, chap?
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 31 Oct 2009, 19:41

Not bad, JKL.

Back from the States now so this seemed an apt thread to post on.

Spent most of the year telling Americans how slow and boring baseball is compared to cricket.... but they never really seemed to understand.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Sun 01 Nov 2009, 00:06

Predictable reaction from a predictable nation...
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Sun 01 Nov 2009, 11:31

3 novels, not exclusively about cricket, in which a description of a cricket match occurs or plays an important part in the story:

Charles Dickens' The Pickwick Papers
A.G.McDonnell's England, Their England
L.P.Hartley's The Go-Between

Novels exclusively devoted to cricket:

Hugh de Selincourt's The Cricket Match
E.R. Dexter & C. Makins' Test Kill

Films including cricket matches:

The Browning Version(1951)
The Final Test(1953)

both directed by Anthony Asquith with a screenplay by Terence Rattigan (although The Browning Version was remade in 1994).
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 01 Nov 2009, 12:01

Tom Brown's Schooldays. Raffles. A couple of lenghty poems.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next