Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where's the Oval Groundsman's Thread.

+11
Zat
Hass
taipan
Merlin
Invader Zim
JGK
embee
Basil
JKLever
DJ_Smerk
Bradman
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where's the Oval Groundsman's Thread. Empty Where's the Oval Groundsman's Thread.

Post by Bradman Sat 22 Aug 2009, 10:23

I think the English authorities will forgive him the two days in lost revenue.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Where's the Oval Groundsman's Thread. Empty Re: Where's the Oval Groundsman's Thread.

Post by DJ_Smerk Sat 22 Aug 2009, 10:25

I think more England pitches should be like the Oval.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Where's the Oval Groundsman's Thread. Empty Re: Where's the Oval Groundsman's Thread.

Post by JKLever Sat 22 Aug 2009, 10:33

I'm utterly amazed they've made a dustbowl, good on em'
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 22 Aug 2009, 11:02

Bradman wrote:I think the English authorities will forgive him the two days in lost revenue.

Aha! I claim the prize for the first sighting of an Aussie whinge about the pitch - and they've not even lost yet!!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 22 Aug 2009, 11:47

How is it possible to whinge about the pitch ...poor application by the batsmen and good bowling have been the major factors in just about every wicket
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26187
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 22 Aug 2009, 17:53

The thread was tongue in cheek. I predicted they'd do this. And you're right the batting has been shithouse.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 22 Aug 2009, 17:56

At the risk of NSR - you can't blame the pitch for a batting line up with no ticker.

Steve Waugh and AB (if they were dead) would have been rolling in their graves following yesterday's effort. It's not as if they were facing Curtly Ambrose on a lightning fast WACA.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:02

So we should take up a collection for a contract on Ricky or Hilditch? I'm just glad the Rugby's on tonight. I can watch an Australian team get whipped by someone who traditionally does it anyway.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:04

This is shaping up as one of the worst weekends ever - the St George bubble officially burst, another last place in the Tri Nations and the most insipid Ashes performance by an Aust team for 25 years.

In the positive, Aust somehow managed to win a gold medal at the athletics.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:05

By the way, I am happy to donate the winnings of my England bets towards the contract on Ponting and Hilditch. Need to do a final tote but should be a couple of grand.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:17

Save your money. I've still got contacts. I'll do it for free.

How did you get up a couple of grand? I'm in the hole for a fair bit.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:25

Gutsy effort to produce a pitch like it, but when you have to win to win the series, why not?

Win the toss and you win the Test and series.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:28

$200 on England for this match at 5.25 helps. Had a bit on them at the start of the series as well (although only about 3.40 I think).

One thing I've learned in the last little while is the unending ability of Ricky Ponting captained cricket teams to play below their potential. I made a tidy sum in the home Saffie series as well during the Perth and Melbourne tests.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:29

They had to do it mate. They had no choice. Should've sent someone else out to call. I think Puntwit has a shocking history with tosses.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:32

JGK wrote:$200 on England for this match at 5.25 helps. Had a bit on them at the start of the series as well (although only about 3.40 I think).

One thing I've learned in the last little while is the unending ability of Ricky Ponting captained cricket teams to play below their potential. I made a tidy sum in the home Saffie series as well during the Perth and Melbourne tests.

Smart. Don't try spread betting, especially on Hussey. I'm a bit bitter and twisted at the mo so don't be offended when I say I hope it pisses down for the next three days.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:35

JKLever wrote:I'm utterly amazed they've made a dustbowl, good on em'

And the other great thing was that they didn't pick Panesarse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:38

The match ain't finished yet FFS.

As Katich pointed out in his interview yesterday - BOTH teams have to bat on it ... and at 58 - 3 England are still buried deep in the woods. Knock them over before lunch (or even tea) and Aus have over 2 days to graft to a win.

Re : win toss / win match ... true to a great extent, but the Aussie bowling first dig didn't exactly cover itself with glory ... with at least 4 maybe 5 England gimme wickets. A better effort with the ball (AND picking a genuine spinner) and Aus might only have had a 75 / 100 run defecit rather than 170.

This match is far from over.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:42

Would you like to offer odds.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:45

JGK wrote:$200 on England for this match at 5.25 helps. Had a bit on them at the start of the series as well (although only about 3.40 I think).

Nice one !

I didn't do this game (should've because the odds on England were cute after the Headingley mauling).

But laid out heavy wedges back in Feb/March when Aus were kicking Saffie arse, on an England series win...
3-1 ( @10's but now dead) and 2-1 (@ 6/1 early doors).

A'int counting up as yet, but hopeful.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:47

Bradman wrote:Would you like to offer odds.

Australia are 5's in the betting exchanges - not the long odds chance some in here are trying to paint.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:48

Bradman wrote:Would you like to offer odds.

Nah Brads, but thanks for the thought mate !
I'd rather bet than lay ... and Ladbrokes "owe" me !! Wink

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 22 Aug 2009, 18:52

500-1 would be a fair turn about.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 22 Aug 2009, 19:03

So if England win will the players pass the hat around for the groundsman like they do in India?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Sat 22 Aug 2009, 19:51

Can we have more pitches like this please?

I'm sure the groundsman took the balance of the series into account when preparing this strip, but it's good for the game.

If England were one up and he'd prepared a road then we'd have a reason to criticise him. But they're not and he didn't, so bravo to the groundsman.

Hass

Where's the Oval Groundsman's Thread. MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 22 Aug 2009, 19:55

I'd love to see more wickets similar to this in Test cricket, but perhaps coming up like this a day later than it has.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next