Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch

+16
Invader Zim
spangler
Merlin
Brass Monkey
horace
SG
The One
holcs
PeterCS
Ash
doremi
JKLever
Yorkie Jill
beamer
taipan
Henry
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch Empty Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch

Post by Henry Sun 23 Aug 2009, 18:55

.......behind South Africa, Sri Lanka, and India. I'm not even sure the Windies fell that quickly post 1995. to be fair, it's now extremely tight at the top. Good for test cricket.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch Empty Re: Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch

Post by taipan Sun 23 Aug 2009, 18:59

ICC rankings are meaningless.

Next.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch Empty Re: Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch

Post by beamer Sun 23 Aug 2009, 19:30

They are correct in showing there's not much to choose between most of the major sides though. I think any of the top eight has a chance of beating any other side at home, it's certainly true of the top six at least.

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 23 Aug 2009, 19:33

beamer wrote:They are correct in showing there's not much to choose between most of the major sides though. I think any of the top eight has a chance of beating any other side at home, it's certainly true of the top six at least.

Really?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 23 Aug 2009, 19:39

taipan wrote:
beamer wrote:They are correct in showing there's not much to choose between most of the major sides though. I think any of the top eight has a chance of beating any other side at home, it's certainly true of the top six at least.

Really?
Well, maybe including NZ and WI is pushing it a bit, though England did lose in the Caribbean this year, I can't see SA or India for example losing there.

But as for the other six, I can't think of a potential series between any two sides where the home side wouldn't have a decent chance.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie Jill Sun 23 Aug 2009, 20:23

England win a series and remain in 5th place. Ouch.
Yorkie Jill
Yorkie Jill

Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2520

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 23 Aug 2009, 20:36

Yorkie Jill wrote:England win a series and remain in 5th place. Ouch.

I can live with it.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 23 Aug 2009, 20:38

To be fair we were lucky to be 5th before this, given how the last couple of years have gone. I guess it just moves us a bit closer to the top four and gives us a bit more breathing space over Pakistan, WI and NZ (not that Pakistan's ranking can be very meaningful, given the amount of Test cricket they've played in recent years).

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 23 Aug 2009, 20:48

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Sun 23 Aug 2009, 21:42

still think they're stronger than SL who are still weak away from home. they just beat pak and WI at home - most teams would do that. id have it:

ind/sa
aus
sl
eng
pak
wi/nz

Last edited by Ash on Sun 23 Aug 2009, 21:42; edited 1 time in total
Ash
Ash

Australia now ranked 4th in the world- Ouch MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Aug 2009, 21:42

Yorkie Jill wrote:England win a series and remain in 5th place. Ouch.

Yes, but we've got the Ashes so it doesn't mater where we or any other side is ranked. We've won the only one that counts.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 23 Aug 2009, 23:22

Important as the Ashes may be for all sorts of reasons (historical, and to an often absurd degree psychological), this SHOUDL be a basis for pushing on.

How often have we said and heard that before.

The Saffy tour will be a good sign if the squad is still improving, or starts to ebb away again.

I agree most ratings of international standings are bunk. That is mainly "individual self-esteem projected on to a national team, squared".
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Sun 23 Aug 2009, 23:24

1. SA
2. Aus
3. India/SL

On the basis, that SA and Aus are the only two sides that could potentially win test series anywhere in the world. I.e they have more chance of drawing/winning in India or SL than the other way around IMO.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 24 Aug 2009, 04:44

the ind-sl series later this year should be interesting

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 24 Aug 2009, 04:52

I think India are clearly ahead of Aus now. Sri Lanka are getting a good team together, as well.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 24 Aug 2009, 07:07

Ash wrote:still think they're stronger than SL who are still weak away from home. they just beat pak and WI at home - most teams would do that. id have it:

ind/sa
aus
sl
eng
pak
wi/nz

I see Karti is back.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 24 Aug 2009, 07:31

Vaughan about Eng's chances to become best team in world,

"I now hope England can build a team capable of beating Australia in Australia in two years' time and become the best side in the world," Vaughan, England's 2005 Ashes winning captain, wrote in his column for The Daily Telegraph.

Doesn't it sound a bit far fetched atm? Despite this fantastic Ashes win, Eng still have some issues over their team selection.

For all his exploits in Oval test, Broad to me still looks very one dimensional bowler.

Flintoff has gone for good.

Anderson, well you can't bet on him to deliver the goods consistently though he bowled very well in this series.

Swann, he bowled well throughout the series without much luck apart from Oval. I hope Indian spinners learn something from him. The way he got the ball to turn and bounce was very unEnglish.

As for their batting, without KP their middle order is still very suspect though Trott seems a very welcome inclusion. And don't forget the huge hole in the lower middle order left by Flintoff's retirement.

Bell and Collingwood are already bit suspect.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 24 Aug 2009, 08:01

And no way, SL is world no.2 test team.

Aus and Ind are anyday better than them in most conditions.

SG

Number of posts : 12806

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 24 Aug 2009, 08:24

I cannot remember when England was the dominant team in world cricket...India certainly has never been...in the past 50 years only the oz, saffies and the windies
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 24 Aug 2009, 08:27

Horrie, England were widely considered the dominant team throughout the 50's. You must have been around 48 years old back then, so surely you can remember.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 24 Aug 2009, 08:39

of course...it was early on in my dotage...2009-50 years =1959...we had several overrated NSW players in the team those days (inc the koala of his time - RN Harvey)
'
england was not considered the dominant team by us...even tho you had fiery fred
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Aug 2009, 08:42

And Statham and Tyson, and Laker and Lock.

A bit better than Jimmy, Draco, Harmi and Swanneeeeee!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 24 Aug 2009, 08:45

tony lock was a chucker tho and england ill treated jimmy laker...Statham was the McGrath of his day in terms of consistent line and length
'
Tyson burnt out
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 24 Aug 2009, 12:13

I'd put it :

SA/Ind/Aus/SL

Eng/Pak

WI/NZ

Those top four teams are a massive bag-o-shite for someone professing to be the best in the world. Probably the worst number 1 team there has been in decades. They've got massive deficiences.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 24 Aug 2009, 12:15

Brass Monkey wrote:I'd put it :

SA/Ind/Aus/SL

Eng/Pak

WI/NZ

Those top four teams are a massive bag-o-shite for someone professing to be the best in the world. Probably the worst number 1 team there has been in decades. They've got massive deficiences.

Agreed. I wouldn't put it past us to beat any of them at home.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next