Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dravid dropped!

+7
HH_pink
DJ_Smerk
trident
doremi
Ash
CT
The One
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dravid dropped! - Page 2 Empty Re: Dravid dropped!

Post by SG Mon 29 Oct 2007, 04:47

That 75 was scored just minutes before the team was announced.

Or that team announcement was deliberately delayed to give him 1 final chance?

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 29 Oct 2007, 05:10

He's never been a great one day player. He might have been better off playing in the early Ranji Trophy games to try and present an un-answerable case to be picked for the Australian tour. I can see what they're thinking though, trying to keep him in and around the Indian team setup.

I guess him and Gambhir will be fighting for a spot in the top 3 in the ODI team.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 29 Oct 2007, 05:15

Despite my reservations over his selection in Indian team, I'd anyday have Sehwag in my team ahead of Gambhir.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 29 Oct 2007, 05:27

Agreed. But I get the feeling Gambhir will start ahead of Sehwag in the first ODI. Probably batting at 3. The team will be something like-

Tendulkar
Ganguly
Gambhir
Yuvraj
Uthappa
Dhoni
Pathan
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Kartik
Sreesanth
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by prasad14 Mon 29 Oct 2007, 05:39

May be try Praveen kuman in place of sreesanth for a game or two and open the bowling with Pathan?

prasad14

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 29 Oct 2007, 05:42

Yep, Sree is anyway useless in ODIs and Pathan bowls at his best with new ball.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by trident Mon 29 Oct 2007, 14:52

The question is whether badrinath,tiwary,rohit will retain the favors of some members here if they fail(as they are likely to initially in nonasian conditions ) Smile. Raina is yet to show he can master nonasian conditions for example.

they will take time to get used to less familiar conditions and this may take more than one series.

And another factor is the standard of aussie cricketers is very high and would not be something they have seen before. in domestic cricket they face fit for nothing trundlers like joginder. Its a different ball game when facing Clark or johnson.they will probably take a frightful beating in one series vs australia before getting used to them.

whether this tour should be the one? its for selectors to decide.i think it does not matter giving them a go in onedayers provided they are backed on a long term basis.

trident

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 29 Oct 2007, 20:09

trident wrote:The question is whether badrinath,tiwary,rohit will retain the favors of some members here if they fail(as they are likely to initially in nonasian conditions ) Smile. Raina is yet to show he can master nonasian conditions for example.

they will take time to get used to less familiar conditions and this may take more than one series.

And another factor is the standard of aussie cricketers is very high and would not be something they have seen before. in domestic cricket they face fit for nothing trundlers like joginder. Its a different ball game when facing Clark or johnson.they will probably take a frightful beating in one series vs australia before getting used to them.

whether this tour should be the one? its for selectors to decide.i think it does not matter giving them a go in onedayers provided they are backed on a long term basis.

aus 1999 comes to mind. the manner in which the likes of devang gandhi, jacob martin, kanitkar, msk prasad and vijay bhardwaj were exposed was brutal. even dravid and ganguly. only one man stood up.
Ash
Ash

Dravid dropped! - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 29 Oct 2007, 20:12

SG wrote:Yep, Sree is anyway useless in ODIs and Pathan bowls at his best with new ball.

1. pathan has been good at first change, tying the runs down but i feel harbhajan/kartik can do this just as well.

2. santh gives us a wkt taking option which we otherwise lack in the middle overs.

for these reasons i feel santh should come on first change and pathan open with RP or zak - to hell with the left-right combo
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 29 Oct 2007, 20:16

You know I was watching re-runs of that series in Star Cricket a month ago and was absolutely appaled by the players we sent there.

Don't remember much of that series (the timing of the matches aren't really the best), but checked a few scores in cricinfo. Brutal describes it well.

But actually two men stood up.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon 29 Oct 2007, 20:24

if you mean laxman, then he did sfa apart from that 167 when the series was gone
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 29 Oct 2007, 20:31

The series was gone before we set foot on Aussie soil. Still he did decently in a side which batsmen really were atrocious and falling left right centre.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 30 Oct 2007, 01:49

Ganguly didnt do too badly in the first 2 tests of that series. Saddagoppan Ramesh did alright as well, despite not getting really big scores, he hung in there pretty well.

I think India's young guns these days are a much more confident breed of cricketer than the likes of Gandhi, Bharadwaj, Kanitkar, and Martin were.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Tue 30 Oct 2007, 03:12

and the aussie bowling and pitches would be easier. still i wouldnt blood someone into test cricket there. not that any of the batsmen in that series debuted in it. that 1999 indian team went to australia with 6 batsmen averaging over 50. only one returned still averaging over 50

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 30 Oct 2007, 03:19

If Josh has his way, that one man won't set foot on Australian soil next month.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 30 Oct 2007, 03:21

Ash wrote:
SG wrote:Yep, Sree is anyway useless in ODIs and Pathan bowls at his best with new ball.

1. pathan has been good at first change, tying the runs down but i feel harbhajan/kartik can do this just as well.
True. Pathan's record in ODIs suggests that he is a genuine wicket taker while opening the bowling.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Tue 30 Oct 2007, 03:29

I still remember Srinath and Prasad reducing Australia to 4/52 within the first session of the first test at Adelaide of that '99 test series, before Steve Waugh and Ponting hitting contrasting centuries to lift Aussies to a score of 440-odd. From that point on in the series, India never recovered.

SG

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 30 Oct 2007, 03:50

And a young, 21 year old quick by the name of Ajit Agarkar was being talked about as the next big thing.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2