Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Of the referral system, etc.

+18
Zat
furriner
footwork
Jontyh
Bradman
smo
Eric Air Emu
LeFromage
DJ_Smerk
taipan
mirchy
Merlin
WideWally
Shoeshine
Brass Monkey
Chivalry Augustus
Rachel
doremi
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Of the referral system, etc. - Page 4 Empty Re: Of the referral system, etc.

Post by embee Mon 04 Jan 2010, 06:58

taipan wrote:
Josh Carney wrote:I am not saying that Hawkeye is more accurate only that it is more consistent and that it will get more accurate as things evolve.

More consistent than what?

A singular computer program is more consistent than an multi-personnelled elite umpiring panel

but then again

A stopped clock is more consistently correct than a working clock
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 04 Jan 2010, 07:27

Bollinger getting Umar Akmal sowed what referrals should be saved for. It was absolutely plum, and should have been given instantly.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon 04 Jan 2010, 08:15

Zat wrote:Bollinger getting Umar Akmal sowed what referrals should be saved for. It was absolutely plum, and should have been given instantly.

We'll win you across yet Zat. It's an improvement. (psssst - it's a good system).
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 04 Jan 2010, 08:27

Mick Sawyer wrote:
Zat wrote:Bollinger getting Umar Akmal sowed what referrals should be saved for. It was absolutely plum, and should have been given instantly.

We'll win you across yet Zat. It's an improvement. (psssst - it's a good system).
All along I've said I have no problem with the system being used for glaring mmistakes. That was one. The problem I have is the using of 'definitive' technology to enshrine 'doubt'. That's ludicrous. It makes no sense that a decision from the technology can go different ways, depending on who's asking the question. If you're asking technology to make a decision and remove doubt, then live with the decision, don't create artificial doubt.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Mon 04 Jan 2010, 09:13

It makes no sense that a decision from the technology can go different ways, depending on who's asking the question. If you're asking technology to make a decision and remove doubt, then live with the decision, don't create artificial doubt

You'd be a supporter of the model applied in tennis. You know what, I think it works with tennis. If a challenge comes then Hawkeye rules - it's accepted and everyone lives with it.

Cricket is different. The concept of "doubt" is funamental to the game - many would say that the game is better for that. We agree that Hawkeye isn't perfect. We know that umpires aren't perfect. We'd probably agree that better decisions are better for the game. We know that the game at all levels requires umpires so it's probably not a good idea to be consisently implying that they are wrong and dickheads because hawkeye says (in your tennis style manner) so. I honestly prefer it whereby we say that there must be more than marginal evidence from Hawkeye (or whatever) for the umpire to change the decision that has been made.

Last edited by Mick Sawyer on Mon 04 Jan 2010, 09:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Waffle limitation)
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 04 Jan 2010, 09:20

Zat wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:

All along I've said I have no problem with the system being used for glaring mmistakes. That was one. The problem I have is the using of 'definitive' technology to enshrine 'doubt'. That's ludicrous. It makes no sense that a decision from the technology can go different ways, depending on who's asking the question. If you're asking technology to make a decision and remove doubt, then live with the decision, don't create artificial doubt.
You know just between friends that really stupid.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4