Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So was Broad ball tampering?

+24
Red
Gary 111
ever hopeful
LeFromage
Eric Air Emu
JKLever
furriner
Makaveli
embee
PeterCS
buckSH
DJ_Smerk
Batman
skully
Matshelane
spangler
Zat
Henry
horace
krikri
Merlin
Basil
Shoeshine
taipan
28 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

So was Broad ball tampering? - Page 3 Empty Re: So was Broad ball tampering?

Post by Shoeshine Thu 07 Jan 2010, 17:56

Must have picked the seam. Those umpires are in England's pay, that's why they didn't do anything at the end of every over when they saw the ball.

Shoeshine

So was Broad ball tampering? - Page 3 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4512
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by krikri Thu 07 Jan 2010, 18:23

JKLever wrote:I've got the SS forum open in another tab - seems we won the Durban test by cheating. There was me thinking Broad got his wickets late on by seaming the ball and Swanneeeeee!! was spinning it rather than swinging it.

According to some of those guys the barmy army supporters are arrogant, think they're south africa's masters and are responsible for the music playing between overs and everyone waving those signs that say 6 and 4 Very Happy It's good for a laugh to read that forum.
krikri
krikri

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Thu 07 Jan 2010, 18:45

Merlin wrote:Now Vaughan's climbing into the fray and claiming (in his DT Sports column) that :

"There is no doubt in my mind that they were trying to change the condition of the ball..."

Nice one Vawney, thanks for your Ex Captian's support - you cringeworthy piece of shit!

Reading between the lines I get the impression Vaughan knows a fair bit about ball tampering and such shenanagans probably happened on the wink under his watch as captain.

If however none of his bowlers never tried to illegally altered the condition of the ball while he was captain he's casting some pretty ordinary aspertions on his recent teammates.

Either way he's a bit of c*nt.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954

Back to top Go down

Post by krikri Thu 07 Jan 2010, 18:53

Eric Air Emu wrote:
Either way he's a bit of c*nt.

Fixed.
krikri
krikri

Number of posts : 399

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:00

JKLever wrote:I've got the SS forum open in another tab - seems we won the Durban test by cheating. There was me thinking Broad got his wickets late on by seaming the ball and Swanneeeeee!! was spinning it rather than swinging it.

It's your own fault for being a two-forums-spanning splitter.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:32

So how come this bit from that cheating qunt Vaughan has gone uncommented upon?
Marcus Trescothick used to be our shiner: he would suck jelly babies to make one side of the ball sugary. I don't really know whether it made any difference, but I do know that we had a good summer with reverse swing in 2005.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:36

Zat wrote:So how come this bit from that cheating qunt Vaughan has gone uncommented upon?
Marcus Trescothick used to be our shiner: he would suck jelly babies to make one side of the ball sugary. I don't really know whether it made any difference, but I do know that we had a good summer with reverse swing in 2005.

Maybe because that was actually a reference to what they did in 2001, before Vaughan was captain?

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:37

Shoeshine wrote:
Zat wrote:So how come this bit from that cheating qunt Vaughan has gone uncommented upon?

Maybe because that was actually a reference to what they did in 2001, before Vaughan was captain?
So endemic cheating by ball tampering is OK? Right...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:42

Thought it was common knowledge. Nathan Bracken went on record during the series that England were using extra strong mints - he was close, but no cigar. The central theme of using sugary saliva to get a nice shine was on the money, though.

Of course there then followed the comically wrong-end-of-the-stick-ness of Rahul Dravid trying to rub a lollipop on the ball, but that's a whole other kettle of stupid...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:43

Zat wrote:
Shoeshine wrote:

So endemic cheating by ball tampering is OK? Right...

Nope. But it does show that England aren't very good at it when they try - cos they got walloped.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:43

As far as Broad goes, Strauss made the point that if you did try to cheat by trapping a rolling ball with your foot, it'd be pretty difficult to ensure you didn't scuff up the wrong side.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:47

ever hopeful wrote:As far as Broad goes, Strauss made the point that if you did try to cheat by trapping a rolling ball with your foot, it'd be pretty difficult to ensure you didn't scuff up the wrong side.
Maybe he had special sugar-attracting magnets in the bottom of his shoe.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:49

Zat wrote:
ever hopeful wrote:As far as Broad goes, Strauss made the point that if you did try to cheat by trapping a rolling ball with your foot, it'd be pretty difficult to ensure you didn't scuff up the wrong side.
Maybe he had special sugar-attracting magnets in the bottom of his shoe.

That's no good. He'd start running off towards the magnetic pole. Could only ever bowl from one end.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:53

You haven't thought this through have you? Surely they'd have to be sugar repelling magnets or else he definitely would scuff the shiny side.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 07 Jan 2010, 20:57

ever hopeful wrote:You haven't thought this through have you? Surely they'd have to be sugar repelling magnets or else he definitely would scuff the shiny side.
I thought about that first, but then the ball would go flying off to the boundary...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 07 Jan 2010, 21:06

“I do feel that the South Africans announcing it to the media without being clear in their own minds what they were going to do — whether they were going to put in a formal complaint — is a little bit malicious. Ball tampering is a very sensitive subject with everyone and if you’re going to make allegations, you must be very confident that that’s what the other team are doing.”

Strauss's comments, my emphasis.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu 07 Jan 2010, 21:15

Shoeshine wrote:“I do feel that the South Africans announcing it to the media without being clear in their own minds what they were going to do — whether they were going to put in a formal complaint — is a little bit malicious. Ball tampering is a very sensitive subject with everyone and if you’re going to make allegations, you must be very confident that that’s what the other team are doing.”

Strauss's comments, my emphasis.

I must say, even for a side so renowned for it's sookiness, South Africa have been turned up to eleven on this tour.

Jonathan Trott bats too slow; it was wrong for Onions to pump his fist in celebration of drawing the first Test; this ball bollocks - laughably whined about by that paragon of fair play AB DeVilliers. Not to mention the fact that all Micky Arthur and Graeme Smith ever talk about is England and their list of deficiencies. "Mental scarring" indeed.

They might be a better team if they just shut up and got on with playing cricket.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 07 Jan 2010, 22:22

heard vaughan on the radio this morning...highly critical of Lady Di and Jandy
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 07 Jan 2010, 22:44

Dello wrote:

I must say, even for a side so renowned for it's sookiness, South Africa have been turned up to eleven on this tour.

Jonathan Trott bats too slow; it was wrong for Onions to pump his fist in celebration of drawing the first Test; this ball bollocks - laughably whined about by that paragon of fair play AB DeVilliers. Not to mention the fact that all Micky Arthur and Graeme Smith ever talk about is England and their list of deficiencies. "Mental scarring" indeed.

They might be a better team if they just shut up and got on with playing cricket.

He did it again this evening after leaving Morkel's last ball - good man !! Very Happy
Thought the hugs with Swanneeeee were a tad OTT and a bit EPL esque though ...

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 07 Jan 2010, 22:47

Merlin wrote:
Dello wrote:

He did it again this evening after leaving Morkel's last ball - good man !! Very Happy
Thought the hugs with Swanneeeee were a tad OTT and a bit EPL esque though ...

Yes, as I said in another thread, you can see Kallis shaking his head in displeasure when he does it. I suppose it could have been unhappiness at the ball, at England escaping, but it sure looked like Kallis was disgusted with Onions. Which is marvellous of course.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 07 Jan 2010, 22:58

Quite a mercurial fella is our Jacquie ... funny ... I didn't see him shake his head with displeasure nor offer a disparaging frown when de Villiers was giving Bell some serious verbal just 3 yards from the bat and seconds before each ball was released by Harris!

I sense a volcanic erruption at Joburg ... it's bubbling under the surface and all the BS about both teams getting on famously is just that - BS.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 07 Jan 2010, 23:00

Wasn't it just in disbelief the Number 11 had done a groundhog day?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoeshine Thu 07 Jan 2010, 23:07

Might have been Peter. Might have been. Just didn't look that way.

Shoeshine

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 07 Jan 2010, 23:43

Dello wrote:

Thought it was common knowledge. Nathan Bracken went on record during the series that England were using extra strong mints - he was close, but no cigar. The central theme of using sugary saliva to get a nice shine was on the money, though.

Of course there then followed the comically wrong-end-of-the-stick-ness of Rahul Dravid trying to rub a lollipop on the ball, but that's a whole other kettle of stupid...

Ah yes, the Confectionary Wars of the 2000s, a dark era in the history of Test cricket. It started out with Marcus Trescothick's Murray Mints and Werther's Originals leading England to reverse swing the ball in a manner unprecedented at the time. A bemused Adam Gilchrist was even heard to murmur that facing one of Andrew Flintoff's overs from around the wicket he could actually hear the Werther's theme tune as the ball whistled through the air. True or not Gilchrist only scored 162 runs in the series at an average of 22.62 and if the leading cricketer of the age could be humbled in such a manner it wasn't long before other teams turned to the dark art of confectionary.

At first the effect wasn't noted, aside from a few rotten teeth and swollen gums - but soon the sugar rush fueled a frenzy. South Africa recalled Hershey's Gibbs despite his match-fixing ban. England awarded an MBE to Paul Collingwood for his role in the Ashes of smuggling confectionary onto the pitch for Trescothick. Sri Lanka started playing fixtures in Kandy, where a controversial biscuit makers' son would become the first bowler ever to take 100 Test wickets at a single ground.

The troubles escalated in 2004 when Rahul Dravid was caught rubbing cough lozingers onto the new ball. The shiny texture didn't help his bowlers, they simply couldn't remove Inzamam-ul-Haq from the crease as he went on to compile a season's best 162* out of a Pakistan total of 231/9. At the post match ceremony Inzamam was later found attempting to chew the match ball. The next week Arjuna Ranatunga announced his comeback for Sri Lanka.

All that sugar, we knew it couldn't end sweetly. In 2006 England captain Marcus Trescothick had a public on field breakdown in India. The addictive effects of Murray Mints had taken their toll and the attempts by the English medical staff to wean him off the substance sparked his collapse. He was found hiding in the changing room, refusing to return for the afternoon session as hallucinations had led him to believe a giant Bertie Bassett figure was stood somewhere between 4th slip and gully, taunting him and threatening to smother him with his 'black licorice wings'. Later it emerged Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar was also a Murray's addict and underwent liposuction to try and rescue his career.

This curious chapter in the history of the game ended where it began in England, when their short-leg fieldsman Ian Bell was caught trying to distract Indian batsman Zaheer Khan by littering the crease with Jelly Babies.

An outraged ICC soon banned the consumption of all confectionary products on the pitch, effectively ending Trescothick's career. Contraversially Australian captain Ricky Ponting was allowed to escape the ban and continue chewing gum on the field of play upon producing a medical note that proves he needs the gum for medicinal reasons to distract him from thinking too hard.

Dark days indeed, i'm sure we'll all agree.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 08 Jan 2010, 00:52

Vaughan said in his column that 'he got the bowlers to bowl a few cross seam bouncers and then picked chose the least scuffed up side as the shiny side' ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26214
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next