Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Football Thread - 10/11

+37
Henry Nolonga
krikri
lardbucket
ever hopeful
Paul Keating
buckSH
Blackadder
Eric Air Emu
The One
Invader Zim
Stueystill72
Gary 111
spangler
Lara Lara Laughs
LeFromage
Basil
tac
horace
Makaveli
JGK
PeterCS
Mick Sawyer
embee
Henry
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
taipan
Bradman
doremi
WideWally
beamer
G.Wood
DJ_Smerk
Jontyh
skully
Merlin
Zat
41 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Football Thread - 10/11 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Football Thread - 10/11

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:30 am

Dello wrote:But, on the quiet, you'd enjoy it if they did go up and you could watch them get colonically violated on a weekly basis...
Derby's recent season in the premiership was orgasmic.

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 am

There is that, but then they get to dine out on parachute payments for the next few seasons...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 am

Cardiff and Swansea for the Premiership? Be afraid, no really - be sh*t scared.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:04 am

vilkrang wrote:
beamer wrote:Draws not really enough for Forest at this stage, but at least an injury time equaliser makes it feel like a point won rather than two more dropped. The promotion form of the turn of the year seems to be fading though, looks like the play-off lottery again (though not sure we can call it a "lottery" when we predictably concede at least four goals at home in every play-off we make!)
Yeah, I look forward to us blowing a 2 goal lead with 10 minutes to go at home in the playoffs again or some other such fun. Playoffs are always great as a Forest fan Rolling Eyes .

I'd actually thought it was with 20 minutes to go but I just looked at the match report and we were still 2 up until the 82nd minute. Utterly craptastic.
That still wasn't as bad as Yeovil a few years ago. Did the hard work, won 2-0 away, sat back as we were prone to do under Calderwood then fell apart. And it was Yeovil FFS, they were in the Conference (if not even lower) when we were winning European Cups! Not to mention Sheffield United and Des Walker's "other" own goal...

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:35 am

Oh shut up you fat c*nts. This is the greatestest football team in the history of the world ever, and I spend most of my waking moments making sticky dreamy wet four-fingered sexamoid love to it, and all you can go on about it how we lost some football matches once upon a time and how we're not going to get promoted because everyone is a lily-livered foggot who isn't going to do some stuff. You really get me down. You really get me down. No variety or range of words can express my disappointment.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

The Football Thread - 10/11 - Page 30 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:33 am

vilkrang wrote:Considering we invented the game, have a bigger population than all world cup winning sides other than France, germany and Brazil, have a massive amount of money pumped into the game, have it taught in most schools at an early age, have a feckload of youth football teams, have huge interest from fans etc. etc. it's a fecking travesty how shite we have been over the past 40 years.
How much of that money goes to England-eligible players, and how much goes to luring OS players to clubs in the Premier League?

Sepp Blatter's idea of making a certain number of players in a club team actually be from the country that the club team is from is a very good idea.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:20 am

beamer wrote:
vilkrang wrote:
beamer wrote:Draws not really enough for Forest at this stage, but at least an injury time equaliser makes it feel like a point won rather than two more dropped. The promotion form of the turn of the year seems to be fading though, looks like the play-off lottery again (though not sure we can call it a "lottery" when we predictably concede at least four goals at home in every play-off we make!)
Yeah, I look forward to us blowing a 2 goal lead with 10 minutes to go at home in the playoffs again or some other such fun. Playoffs are always great as a Forest fan Rolling Eyes .

I'd actually thought it was with 20 minutes to go but I just looked at the match report and we were still 2 up until the 82nd minute. Utterly craptastic.
That still wasn't as bad as Yeovil a few years ago. Did the hard work, won 2-0 away, sat back as we were prone to do under Calderwood then fell apart. And it was Yeovil FFS, they were in the Conference (if not even lower) when we were winning European Cups! Not to mention Sheffield United and Des Walker's "other" own goal...
If you look at the link I posted (click the words "match report") you'll see I was talking about that exact game Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 am

Zat wrote:Sepp Blatter's idea of making a certain number of players in a club team actually be from the country that the club team is from is a very good idea.
Unfortunately goes totally against European law... if we could get all European countries to leave the EU it might work.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:20 am

It's only a good idea if you subscribe to the notion that international football is the pinnacle of the sport and what all clubs should be gearing their player development towards.

But it isn't and they shouldn't.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-04
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 am

Dello wrote:It's only a good idea if you subscribe to the notion that international football is the pinnacle of the sport and what all clubs should be gearing their player development towards.

But it should be and the clubs should be pushed back into the position of being secondary to their national teams, like they do in cricket, rugby and other team sports.

Playing for your country should be the pinnacle of any sportsman's career, football has lost sight of what sport should be about.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:40 am

beamer wrote:

Playing for your country should be the pinnacle of any sportsman's career, football has lost sight of what sport should be about.

It probably still is

everywhere bar England, Barcelano and Madrid (and maybe Glasgow)

G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-07
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:57 am

beamer wrote:
Dello wrote:It's only a good idea if you subscribe to the notion that international football is the pinnacle of the sport and what all clubs should be gearing their player development towards.

But it should be and the clubs should be pushed back into the position of being secondary to their national teams, like they do in cricket, rugby and other team sports.

I think the pinnacle of any sport is playing and competing at the very highest level of the game, which international football just isn't - and hasn't been for well over a decade.

And I don't see how the sport can manipulate the quality of international football upwards whilst simultaneously dragging down the quality of club football - nor why any clubs would be remotely interested in first weakening their overall product, then handing over the fruits of their not insubstantial investment to a rabble of free-loading amateurs with an unearned sense of entitlement based on nothing more than geographical chance and plastic patriotism, to uphold some antiquated ideology that kicking a bag of wind around is a matter of national honour and we shall fight them on the beaches with a big sh!tty stick. And go out on penalties in the quarter finals.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:28 pm

beamer wrote:Playing for your country should be the pinnacle of any sportsman's career, football has lost sight of what sport should be about.

Which is why there are so many Saffies in the England cricket team?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:43 pm

There's too much football played, really. When it comes time to play for the national team in big tournaments (after the domestic season), players are tired and standards drop. Barring the likes of Spain, Germany, Argentina and Brazil, the standard of football from teams in the last three World Cups has been very poor. England and France in particular have been woeful.

Also, it's amazing how ingrained diving and over-reacting to tackles has become in football. It's cheating. Pure and simple. But almost every player does it.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:13 pm

And in other news, Diouf is still a scumbag, as are a number of the players and fans who attended last night's old firm match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Diouf has always been a c*nt. And has he even done anything good on a football field since beating France in the 2002 World Cup?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:07 am

Dello wrote:And I don't see how the sport can manipulate the quality of international football upwards whilst simultaneously dragging down the quality of club football - nor why any clubs would be remotely interested in first weakening their overall product, then handing over the fruits of their not insubstantial investment to a rabble of free-loading amateurs with an unearned sense of entitlement based on nothing more than geographical chance and plastic patriotism, to uphold some antiquated ideology that kicking a bag of wind around is a matter of national honour and we shall fight them on the beaches with a big sh!tty stick. And go out on penalties in the quarter finals.
Well it's the "big" clubs that need weakening, so that they don't control the game... after all, having the top level based on geographical chance is better than having it based on financial chance. What connection do these clubs have to the city whose name they (in some cases) carry, other than playing their home games there? Would Man Utd or Chelsea winning the Champions League lead to days or weeks of national celebration? I'd like to see England players centrally contracted like the cricketers, and the ability for those in charge to tell their clubs when they can play them... even if it costs 100 times more than it does in cricket! Still, pointless until the couldn't-give-a-sh!t-about-our-country "golden" generation have buggered off into retirement/alcoholism/a nice comfortable job as a Sky pundit, and we have a new generation who want to be national heroes rather than just pocket the cash (signs aren't good regarding some of the youngsters either - welcome to the big time Chris Smalling, you've got your first Sun front page story!)

Whether Blatter and Platini are worse than the big club owners is a difficult one to call though, perhaps if the clubs broke away we'd get our long-awaited introduction of technology. Not worth sacrificing the World Cup for, although they've probably already done that by taking it to Qatar.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:31 am

Dello wrote:
beamer wrote:

I think the pinnacle of any sport is playing and competing at the very highest level of the game, which international football just isn't - and hasn't been for well over a decade.

And I don't see how the sport can manipulate the quality of international football upwards whilst simultaneously dragging down the quality of club football - nor why any clubs would be remotely interested in first weakening their overall product, then handing over the fruits of their not insubstantial investment to a rabble of free-loading amateurs with an unearned sense of entitlement based on nothing more than geographical chance and plastic patriotism, to uphold some antiquated ideology that kicking a bag of wind around is a matter of national honour and we shall fight them on the beaches with a big sh!tty stick. And go out on penalties in the quarter finals.

Brill post. Sums up my feelings to the letter. The geographical chance and plastic patriotism line could have come out of my own mouth. Think I've used the "accident of birth" line a few times when arguing with brimstone and fire patriots like Lever.

And I can't even put a number on the amount of arguments I have with friends who burst into tears because an England player pulls out of a meaningless friendly to play in the Champs League. Get a life.

Dello - spot on. Spot the f*ck on.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:36 am

Friendlies are one thing, the World Cup quite another. And quite clearly the best thing that could possibly happen to this country in a sporting sense is England winning the (football) World Cup. Take the recent Ashes wins, the 2003 Rugby World Cup, last year's World T20, all the gold medals from Beijing and being awarded the 2012 Olympics. Put them all together, multiply it by 100 and probably square it for good measure... that's what it would be like!

It's hard to get behind the current England team because most of them are such dickheads but if they performed for us on the pitch we wouldn't really care... for a while at least!

Still, if you'd rather players performed for a team representing the size of the wallet of an overseas multi-billionaire rather than the pride of the country they were born in, fair enough...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:24 am

Beamer. Haven't read the discussion so I don't even know what it's about. I just read Dello's post and agreed with everything in it.

In other news, Kolo Toure has tested positive for a banned substance.

Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 am

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
Dello wrote:
beamer wrote:

Brill post. Sums up my feelings to the letter. The geographical chance and plastic patriotism line could have come out of my own mouth.

Then I have finally hit rock bottom...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:54 am

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:

In other news, Kolo Toure has tested positive for a banned substance.

Specified substance.

From the Beeb: The World Anti-Doping Agency defines a specified substance as one that is "more susceptible to a credible, non-doping explanation".

Hamilton Academicals midfielder Simon Mensing recently served a four-week ban after a specified substance was detected in his system.

The 28-year-old tested positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine at the end of January and subsequently missed five matches after a period of ineligibility was imposed on him.

The player maintained he was unaware he had ingested the substance while using a dietary supplement - an explanation which was accepted by UK Anti-Doping.

So it might not be as serious as it sounds. The old dodgy cough medicine excuse.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 am

Hahhahahaahhaahha!

Good one.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am

Lara Lara Laughs wrote: brimstone and fire patriots like Lever.

Pft, i've watched one England football game in about 4 years!

And I can't even put a number on the amount of arguments I have with friends who burst into tears because an England player pulls out of a meaningless friendly

Your friends sound a bit wet...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:46 am

England winning the World Cup would be nice, but i'd take winning the Ashes over winning the Football World Cup any day. I'd probably take winning the Rugby World Cup over the Football one as well.

It's just that most of the English Footballers are such unlikeable c*nts, it's hard to cheer them on at times. They were more likeable when they had the likes of Beckham, Owen, and Scholes in the side.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next