Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fair assessment of why England can retain the Ashes

+7
JKLever
Merlin
Zat
Red
taipan
embee
skully
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A fair assessment of why England can retain the Ashes - Page 2 Empty Re: A fair assessment of why England can retain the Ashes

Post by Basil Sat 14 Aug 2010, 11:25

skully wrote:A fair call, A. We all know that Aus is hard to beat on home soil under much more benign atmospheric and pitch conditions (in terms of sideways movement).

JKL (and others) are of the view that England's attack cannot dismiss Aus twice often enough to retain the Ashes. I guess the counter question is can Aus's attack dismiss the Poms twice often enough to regain the urn?

I think Bolly, Milf, maybe Sids and occasionally Midge (on a good day) have enough firepower to win a couple of Tests. Fingers crossed.

For England much will depend on Swanny.

Don't forget the fielding - this is the best slip cordon I've seen in England colours for a long, long time - and Anderson is one of the best outfielders in the business.

The thing about Swann is that he gives the ball a real rip and gets turn/bounce on pitches not normally thought to aid spinners.

We'll almost certainly start the series with four bowlers - Jimmy, Swanny, Finn and Broad. My concern would be what Jimmy will do when the ball stops swinging (if it does at all) - if he doesn't have a plan B, we will, effectively, be down to a three-man attack.

If the Anderson cycle gets out of sync, it wouldn't surprise me if he was replaced by Shazhad who can reverse it both ways at a decent pace.

As for the batting, only Cook is a real concern - not just because of his current form, but because he averages under 27 agains Oz. Even allowing for this, I still expect him to be in the side at the Gabba.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

A fair assessment of why England can retain the Ashes - Page 2 Empty Re: A fair assessment of why England can retain the Ashes

Post by skully Sat 14 Aug 2010, 11:36

Aye Bas. Hopefully Aus can put it's best foot forward and make for a classic Ashes. We are an order of magnitude weaker than we were when we last tried to and succeeded in regaining the Ashes. As Merls points out, no TGM, tgm, Gilly, Dossie, NLWL, Marto, and others.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105885
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Aug 2010, 11:42

taipan wrote:
skully wrote:Hope you're right, taips. A long tour under the blazing Aus sun normally has the Poms struggling but on paper they have a pretty fair arsenal.

I fear Strauss, Colly, Swanny and maybe Trott, KP and Prior.

Only 4 of those are SA born

Of course, no Englishman has ever represented SA

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 14 Aug 2010, 11:53

fishing
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Aug 2010, 12:01

skully wrote: fishing

Yes, I was fully aware of this.

Surprising we have any English cricketers at all given that so few schools actually play it.

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 14 Aug 2010, 12:08

Can you lend us some? Maybe that Irishman if you don't need him? Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Aug 2010, 12:22

No, he's our questionable Irish import, find your own.

"Oi've ahlways dreemed of playin fer Ngland since Oi were a wee boy on te streets a Dubblin"

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 14 Aug 2010, 12:25

Very Happy
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Aug 2010, 12:35

You could just take Johnston back...

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 14 Aug 2010, 12:40

Who's he then?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Aug 2010, 13:04

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/6038.html

Plays for Ireland.

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 14 Aug 2010, 13:09

Of course [slaps forhead]. I did know that. The big ex-Aussie done good at the 2007 WC.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun 15 Aug 2010, 02:14

skully wrote:
Merlin wrote:They're idiots - the lot of them.

F**king Inane and repetitive dirges all day long can blow your brain away if seated a few rows from the constsnt din.
I think you've just summed up the Emperor's hatred of said mob.
Hatred? That's a bit strong, innit? Just because I'd like to see them all crushed to death under a collapsing grandstand, or some similar departure from the mortal coil...

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 15 Aug 2010, 04:36

embee wrote:As interesting as the article was ...Australia's chances are only dependent upon themselves ...

No injuries ...especially to Punter's and Mitch's Brain ...and a team that is prepared to play Test Cricket for 5 days at a time will beat anything the Poms can throw at us.

Meh, that's a silly and rather arrogant argument. England could say the same thing. If everything goes right and no one gets injured we'll beat the Aussies. But this is sport. Both teams will have setbacks.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 15 Aug 2010, 07:31

Clamson wrote:
taipan wrote:
skully wrote:Hope you're right, taips. A long tour under the blazing Aus sun normally has the Poms struggling but on paper they have a pretty fair arsenal.

Of course, no Englishman has ever represented SA

Not in living memory as far as I can recall Clam.

BTW school cricket isn't that great in certain areas here, either.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 15 Aug 2010, 17:54

embee wrote:As interesting as the article was ...Australia's chances are only dependent upon themselves ...

No injuries ...especially to Punter's and Mitch's Brain ...and a team that is prepared to play Test Cricket for 5 days at a time will beat anything the Poms can throw at us.

You had better hope that your bowlers offer up something a damn sight better than they served up at Headsingley. If they don't - you're fooked.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Mon 16 Aug 2010, 02:20

Basil wrote:

You had better hope that your bowlers offer up something a damn sight better than they served up at Headsingley. If they don't - you're fooked.

I think "not bowling sh!t" was implied in what I wrote
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26186
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 16 Aug 2010, 02:45

Basil wrote:You had better hope that your bowlers offer up something a damn sight better than they served up at Headsingley. If they don't - you're fooked.
OI thought it was a large Pakistani expat community there, not Indians.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 06 Jan 2011, 15:36

Fair play to Skully...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Thu 06 Jan 2011, 16:26

taipan wrote:

Yup, those were the only ones to fear! Good thing the faster bowlers or Cook didn't learn their cricket in SA, or they might have given you some trouble too.

Thanks for reviving this thread JKL, it really is very enjoyable reading.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 06 Jan 2011, 20:28

Zat, on August 14th, wrote:'why England can retain the Ashes'

Because they're a side that's got form, confidence, and stability.

Australia is a side that lost its last Test against Pak-i-f*cking-stan, and has tests in India in the lead-up, id captained by a moron, coached by a dill, and is selected by numbskulls, with players in form unable to get in, and players in poor form unlikely to be dropped.
And [own trumpet] I was right [/own trumpet].

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Jan 2011, 20:31

Zat wrote:
Zat, on August 14th, wrote:'why England can retain the Ashes'

Because they're a side that's got form, confidence, and stability.

Australia is a side that lost its last Test against Pak-i-f*cking-stan, and has tests in India in the lead-up, id captained by a moron, coached by a dill, and is selected by numbskulls, with players in form unable to get in, and players in poor form unlikely to be dropped.
And [own trumpet] I was right [/own trumpet].
Damn, I wish I was right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Thu 06 Jan 2011, 20:32

Get ****** vilky.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2