Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Schneider

+6
tac
JGK
Mick Sawyer
PeterCS
G.Wood
Invader Zim
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stephen Schneider Empty Stephen Schneider

Post by Invader Zim Thu 19 Aug 2010, 12:23

It was a month ago, but the passing of this great man and scientist deserves a mention.

A fellow of the UN National Academy of Sciences he was one of the best communicators of climate science. He advised presidents. As early as the 1970s he saw the looming problem.

After a long illness, Stephen Schneider died in July 2010.

The Department of Energy in the United States recently had a high official testify before the United States senate and I happened to have been sitting next to that official and we had a clash over exactly this issue of whether the present evidence was sufficient for policy, and they said that there was too much uncertainty for us to invest any substantial sum of money because why should we hedge against a problem whose dimensions we don't understand. And what I said was that platitudes about scientific uncertainty has been used by the Department of Energy for the last 20 years to avoid action, and what made me angry was that they claimed that it was scientifically unjustified to act. It depends more whether you fear investing present resources as a hedge against future change or whether you fear more having the world perform the experiment of rapid climate change without trying to slow it down.

Let me go beyond that. I would not argue that the world should take literally the details of the scientific projections for the future. We can't know the exact distribution of where it's wetter and dryer, but I think we have to take very seriously these calculations because the probability of the world being much warmer in the next century than it is now is very high, well above 50%. If you think about this as a gamble, what we're doing is we're gambling with very high odds and the rate of our change is very large. So the question then becomes what do you want to do as a hedge against that.

Think of it like insurance. Every person I know has insurance, only a very foolish person would have no insurance or a very foolish person would spend all their income on insurance. So the question is, what's the right balance? And that is, again, not a scientific question but a value political question. And I would say, in my value system, what you want to do is hedge against, meaning slowing down the greenhouse effect, by making those prudent investments that make sense even if the greenhouse effect weren't true.

The most obvious example of that is using energy more efficiently. If you get more mileage out of your car or if you have a better insulated house or if you have an electric power plant that's got a more efficient boiler or has a more efficient turbine, then you're using less energy for the same economic service, and what that does is it reduces the emission of greenhouse gases, it reduces the emission of acids which create acid rain that is very serious in Europe and Scandinavia and parts of North America and will become increasingly serious in Asia as the Chinese and the Indians use coal, it reduces the health effects of air pollution, it reduces the dependence for countries that don't have that much fossil fuel on foreign supplies, and it makes those countries more economically competitive because they have less energy costs in their manufactured products.
So the thing is climate change is just a reason to do something that makes sense anyway and it gives you a little added pressure to spend a little public resource as an insurance policy against the possibility that the uncertainties won't necessarily make the problem become less but could make it more.

Schneider said this in 1988. 22 years ago. FFS.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Stephen Schneider Empty Re: Stephen Schneider

Post by G.Wood Fri 20 Aug 2010, 00:30

And what I said was that platitudes about scientific uncertainty has been used by the Department of Energy for the last 20 years to avoid action, and what made me angry was that they claimed that it was scientifically unjustified to act

Farkin hell

and that was before Fox News was "Fair and Balanced"
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 20 Aug 2010, 00:32

Try telling that to The Mad Monk.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Fri 20 Aug 2010, 01:36

PeterCS wrote:Try telling that to The Mad Monk.

aye - he's in deep debt to the arch conservatives & I feel the cold shadows approaching.

More than ever I despise Rudd for not calling a double dissolution when the imperative presented itself.

Last edited by Mick Sawyer on Fri 20 Aug 2010, 02:49; edited 1 time in total
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Fri 20 Aug 2010, 01:42

Mick Sawyer wrote:

aye - he's in deep debt to the arch conservatives & I can feel the shadows approaching.

More than ever I despise Rudd for not calling a double dissolution when the imperative presented itself.

He would have gone in with a 15 point lead too.
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 20 Aug 2010, 02:42

Aye. It's strange that a man can most of his life choices based on the supposed teachings of his fairy godfather, yet doesn't believe in something that is hitting him in the face.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Fri 20 Aug 2010, 02:47

He would have gone in with a 15 point lead too.

There'll be a special chapter for this one in Political Science 201 texts some time very soon.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri 20 Aug 2010, 04:24

I thought this was about the dude/dudette from Twisted Sister . . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Fri 20 Aug 2010, 05:03

tac wrote:I thought this was about the dude/dudette from Twisted Sister . . . .

that's a rather embarrassing admission
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 20 Aug 2010, 05:09

Mick Sawyer wrote:

aye - he's in deep debt to the arch conservatives & I feel the cold shadows approaching.

Speaking to a well known journo the other day (yeah and I had a beer with him, just to save RD's repetitive quips) and he reckons rudd's downfall was plotted from the new year when despite some heavyweight advice he refused to call a DD for February, using the excuse it would look oportunistic and put the houses out of whack. (Which shows how clueless he was). Then and there they made up their minds to dump him the minute he looked even remotley unelectable.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri 20 Aug 2010, 05:39

G.Wood wrote:
tac wrote:I thought this was about the dude/dudette from Twisted Sister . . . .

that's a rather embarrassing admission

you've had a few embarrassing emmissions in your time, I'd reckon . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Fri 20 Aug 2010, 05:44

not nearly enough
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Fri 20 Aug 2010, 05:57

using the excuse it would look oportunistic and put the houses out of whack. (Which shows how clueless he was). Then and there they made up their minds to dump him the minute he looked even remotley unelectable

There it is and here we are now. I might go throw rocks on his roof tomorrow night, then shag his dog, yes Therese.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Fri 20 Aug 2010, 06:01

Wouldn't it be more fun to throw rocks on Therese and shag his roof?
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Fri 20 Aug 2010, 06:02

Even though I voted yesterday (had to wait 15 minutes and i was the only bloke in the qeue, not sure what message that sends) I'm gonna check out some of the booths tomorrow before losing my hard earned.

This is really wierd. Don't rock his roof. Torch the place and blame the pink batts.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Fri 20 Aug 2010, 08:05

G.Wood wrote:Wouldn't it be more fun to throw rocks on Therese and shag his roof?

feck it, I might just shag his cat.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 20 Aug 2010, 08:09

Back On Topic. I'm quite pleased for Schneider. He didn't get to see the looming environmental apocalypse that he predicted. Funnily enough, neither will any of us.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Fri 20 Aug 2010, 08:10

I can just imagine Ruddy chasing after MS yelling "Those Chinese Mick Sawyer f**kers are trying to rcat-f**k us."
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Fri 20 Aug 2010, 09:59

G.Wood wrote:I can just imagine Ruddy chasing after MS yelling "Those Chinese Mick Sawyer f**kers are trying to rcat-f**k us."

snorfle
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Fri 20 Aug 2010, 13:29

skully wrote:Back On Topic. I'm quite pleased for Schneider. He didn't get to see the looming environmental apocalypse that he predicted. Funnily enough, neither will any of us.
Yeah, what would he know?

I mean he's only an expert in his field with decades of research behind him, and you're some dickhead posting on a cricket forum who wouldn't recognise a coherent argument if you fell over it.

skully 1, Schneider 0.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 20 Aug 2010, 13:40

Indeed Zim. He's dead, he witnessed no clear signs of the alleged Earth's impending doom prior to his death. I'm alive, and I'm witnessing no signs of said impending doom.

Pinko radical scientist with the same rabid rationalism of yourself, i.e. no farkin idea.

And what's more, the Drug Beagles finished last. That's a wooden spoon up yer @rse. PMSL. snigger

You really are a tired piece of carp these days, mate. You are a disgrace to your former energetic and witty self. Strap the apron on, do the wiping up and enjoy your latest cartoon. Is Invader Zim even on Foxy any more? No? It's been banished just like your tired stereotype should be.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 20 Aug 2010, 14:00

skully wrote:Back On Topic. I'm quite pleased for Schneider. He didn't get to see the looming environmental apocalypse that he predicted. Funnily enough, neither will any of us.

But he probably went to death knowing that the rest of mankind was farked.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 20 Aug 2010, 14:30

Of course the climate is changing, the earth's climate has chnaged constantly. Ice ages, warmer ages, the evidence is all there in fossil records.

Right now we, here in Britain, are getting drier springs and wetter summers while the overall temperatures are rising slowly. It's a fact we can see because for about a hundred years now we've been taking accurate weather measurements. The only real debate there is is now much human activity is adding to the rate of increase. It might be minimal, it might be quite a lot but how ant can think that chopping down vast areas of forest, whilst pumping out CO2 from burning fossil fuels can't possibly have some effect must just be hiding from reality.

I also think that unless you believe mankind should become extinct that we should be doing our upmost to preserve the plant that gave rise to our existance. Recycling, finding alturnative fuel sources, stopping mass deforesation, etc can only be for the common good.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 20 Aug 2010, 22:47

JGK wrote:

But he probably went to death knowing that the rest of mankind was farked.
So how many of your 5 LCDs are you gonna be watching the Election coverage on today? All of them? heat
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 24 Aug 2010, 04:06

eowyn wrote:Of course the climate is changing, the earth's climate has chnaged constantly. Ice ages, warmer ages, the evidence is all there in fossil records.

Right now we, here in Britain, are getting drier springs and wetter summers while the overall temperatures are rising slowly. It's a fact we can see because for about a hundred years now we've been taking accurate weather measurements. The only real debate there is is now much human activity is adding to the rate of increase. It might be minimal, it might be quite a lot but how ant can think that chopping down vast areas of forest, whilst pumping out CO2 from burning fossil fuels can't possibly have some effect must just be hiding from reality.

I also think that unless you believe mankind should become extinct that we should be doing our upmost to preserve the plant that gave rise to our existance. Recycling, finding alturnative fuel sources, stopping mass deforesation, etc can only be for the common good.

Yep. Any money spent on CT is going to be a bit of a gamble, but one that is surely worth taking.

And how can developed nations asked lesser developed ones to change their habits if we aren't prepared to the same (even if the global effect may be low).
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next