Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Batty.....

+2
DJ_Smerk
Gary 111
6 posters

Go down

Going Batty..... Empty Going Batty.....

Post by Gary 111 Thu 19 Aug 2010, 23:37

A collapse of rare ineptitude sentenced Surrey to their sixth loss of the championship campaign as they slid to a 238-run loss at New Road.

Surrey's batsmen, displaying a recklessness that would have embarrassed schoolboys, squandered their last six wickets for the addition of 18 runs in just 27 balls on the final morning. It meant they had lost all ten second-innings wickets in the space of just 86 balls.

The result was overshadowed, however, by an incident between Worcestershire supporters and Gareth Batty. Batty, who left Worcestershire at the end of last season, had been heckled throughout the match and, after his dismissal in Surrey's second innings, stopped several times on his way off the pitch to exchange words with spectators.

Following a brief visit to the dressing room to remove his pads, he reemerged, walked into seating area and sat down next to one of the more vocal critics. "What have I done to offend you," Batty began. After several minutes of heated conversation, Ian Salisbury, who is on the Surrey coaching staff, led Batty away. Batty was later spotted in tears being consoled by his team-mates.

I was looking for a picture of the Batty-santa to add at the bottom to illustrate this story but can't find one anywhere. Dello?
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : eng

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Going Batty..... Empty Re: Going Batty.....

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 19 Aug 2010, 23:45

I never liked Batty, so maybe this will show if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 20 Aug 2010, 00:32

Gary 111 wrote:
A collapse of rare ineptitude sentenced Surrey to their sixth loss of the championship campaign as they slid to a 238-run loss at New Road.

Surrey's batsmen, displaying a recklessness that would have embarrassed schoolboys, squandered their last six wickets for the addition of 18 runs in just 27 balls on the final morning. It meant they had lost all ten second-innings wickets in the space of just 86 balls.

The result was overshadowed, however, by an incident between Worcestershire supporters and Gareth Batty. Batty, who left Worcestershire at the end of last season, had been heckled throughout the match and, after his dismissal in Surrey's second innings, stopped several times on his way off the pitch to exchange words with spectators.

Following a brief visit to the dressing room to remove his pads, he reemerged, walked into seating area and sat down next to one of the more vocal critics. "What have I done to offend you," Batty began. After several minutes of heated conversation, Ian Salisbury, who is on the Surrey coaching staff, led Batty away. Batty was later spotted in tears being consoled by his team-mates.

I was looking for a picture of the Batty-santa to add at the bottom to illustrate this story but can't find one anywhere. Dello?

This was quite a spicy match:

Flareup 1: Batty bowled Solanki in our first innings and went absolutely potty - he had to be calmed down by Davies and Rory H-B

Flareup 2: Ramps being run out 20 - he patently didn't like the decision and let the umpires know as well as a few spectators as he climbed the pavillion steps.

Flareup 3: Rory H-B telling Dernbach to tone down the sledging of Shakib - this was after the umpire (Gough) had had pulled RHB to one side.

Flareup 4: I didn't see this (nor did the umpires) - but I trust my source - one of the Surrey players was apparently seen to be imparting an artificial substance to the ball from his trouser pocket.

Throughout the match, Batty was subjected to (mostly) lighhearted banter - it all began to go tits up yesterday - at one point in my hearing and those of everyone around me, he sort of implied that he would be partial to dropping one or two of his barrackers.

It did not help that Steve Davies was greeted like a long lost son by the crowd throughout the match. Compare that to the absolute silence which greeted Batty when he went out to bat in Surrey's second innings

There were further comments made in his direction when he went out to bat and (soon after!) when he was out. It has been suggested that;

a) his mother was in ear shot of these comments
b) she was verbally abused

It was at this point that he went and sat next to someone who, judging from where he was sitting, was a club member - he was closely followed by Ian Salisbury. Our CEO and Club president were also in the vicinity.

By all accounts afterwards - Batty was seen on the players' balcony sobbing his heart out. He didn't really help himself by his general demeanor - but should it transpire hat his mother was abused by one of our members, I hope the bloke's membership card has been shredded.

Oh yes, and we tanned their hides!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 20 Aug 2010, 00:36

Who said County Cricket was a dull, lifeless affair?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 20 Aug 2010, 00:36

Correction:
It would apear that the incident involving Batty's mum occurred before the start of play.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Fri 20 Aug 2010, 01:38

Well Gareth Batty IS sh!t, so any cricket fan in their right mind would be likely to tell him so. Steve Davies on the other hand is an excellent young cricketer.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Fri 20 Aug 2010, 18:12

Don't understand why Davies got such a good reception? Batty gave years of local service while Davies jumped ship the first opportunity he got.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Air Emu Fri 20 Aug 2010, 18:55

Thanks for the inside track Basil- it can't be easy being Gareth Batty.

Anyone want to chat Surrey? They're just wrong on so many levels these days. You have to say the C Adams and R HB axis is not long of this world.
Eric Air Emu
Eric Air Emu

Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 20 Aug 2010, 19:53

Gary 111 wrote:Don't understand why Davies got such a good reception? Batty gave years of local service while Davies jumped ship the first opportunity he got.

Davo is the local boy made good - we were gutted when he left, but his reasons for leaving were understood. Some Pears' supporters hold on to the belief that he will play for us again before his career is done.

Batty, is not local: when he put in his request to leave, he cited lack of onsite indoor practice facilities as one of his reasons for going. This did not, however, inhibit him from joining US, FROM Surrey. Add to that the widely held belief that Batty acted as Agent Provocateur last year in encouraging players to leave and you have the background as to why he is not Mr Popular in these parts.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 20 Aug 2010, 20:00

Eric Air Emu wrote:Thanks for the inside track Basil- it can't be easy being Gareth Batty.

Anyone want to chat Surrey? They're just wrong on so many levels these days. You have to say the C Adams and R HB axis is not long of this world.

Eric, this was a bloody good game and it was nip and tuck until the last half hour of the third day.

For the life of me, I will never understand why RHB took on the captaincy of your boys. They seem to be a fairly combustible lot in need of shrewd management from someone totally focused on the job in hand. H-B is a talented player - maybe with an England career in front of him . Is he a little bit "Look at me, I'm playing with the big boys?"
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down