Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live?

+13
lardbucket
Jontyh
spangler
Allan D
JKLever
horace
Zat
LeFromage
Basil
Gary 111
DJ_Smerk
Growler
Henry
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live? Empty Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live?

Post by Henry Mon 15 Nov 2010, 00:00

Well?

Each day's play will start at around midnight British time. I assume Sky will be replaying each day's play in its entirety at a more appropriate hour?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live? Empty Re: Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live?

Post by Growler Mon 15 Nov 2010, 00:07

I'll certainly be making the effort.

I can't guarantee that sheer fatigue won't have us conked out on the sofa halfway through the second session. If I see the whole days play I'll catch the sleep later on ....
Growler
Growler

Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live? MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live? Empty Re: Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live?

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 15 Nov 2010, 00:22

I would answer the question, but it appears I'm exempt from doing so.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 15 Nov 2010, 00:24

I'll try my best, gonna book a few days off work here and there and pull a few all-nighters if not.

Was much more exciting 4 years ago, actually being there in the flesh. But will settle for TMS and Sky this time around. Is actually the first time i'll be in England for an Ashes series since 2002/3. Happy memories of watching Vaughan swivel-pulling Gillespie, McGrath and Bichel all round Adelaide, the MCG and the SCG.

Not so much of when it was England's turn to bowl though.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 15 Nov 2010, 00:38

Looks like I'm hosting breakfast for some chums during the test at the WACA
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Nov 2010, 00:38

I'll probably be watching the morning session of most days and if it's an exciting finish staying up for the final days play.

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 15 Nov 2010, 00:40

I'll be following on week nights. Mainly via TMS and dodgy links.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 15 Nov 2010, 01:06

If it's anything like the last Ashes tour, I'll watch the first session before declaring "f*ck this for a game of soliders" in bewildered despair at England's ineptitude and toddling off to bed/a ditch somewhere.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 15 Nov 2010, 01:19

DJ_Smerk wrote:I'll be following on
So will Australia at some stage.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 15 Nov 2010, 01:19

pomgolian fans wont lose much sleep...most games will finish inside 3 days
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 15 Nov 2010, 01:23

Expecting rain are you, Horrie?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 15 Nov 2010, 01:25

doing rain dances...hoping that the matches will at least run to 3 days
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 15 Nov 2010, 01:28

Geez, I'm hoping we'll have a bit more backbone than that Cool
Growler
Growler

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 15 Nov 2010, 01:30

lol...am talking about the opposite...the nsw team we will trot out will be no match for your lot
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 15 Nov 2010, 01:45

vilkrang wrote:I'll probably be watching the morning session of most days and if it's an exciting finish staying up for the final days play.

Ditto. But it brings back bad memories every tour since 86/7 of putting on the radio, finding out the score and feeling like you've been punched in the guts. When you're 3-0 down the Ashes 'fun' factor quickly erodes. We desperately need a competitive Ashes series down under.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Nov 2010, 02:19

JKLever wrote:
vilkrang wrote:I'll probably be watching the morning session of most days and if it's an exciting finish staying up for the final days play.

Ditto. But it brings back bad memories every tour since 86/7 of putting on the radio, finding out the score and feeling like you've been punched in the guts. When you're 3-0 down the Ashes 'fun' factor quickly erodes. We desperately need a competitive Ashes series down under.
Aye, I know technically this is our best chance since 86/7, but at the moment all I'm really hoping is that it's still live by the 4th test.

I may reassess after the first couple of tests, but yeah, still in the Ashes by the 4th test is my early aim for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Mon 15 Nov 2010, 13:38

After the experience of four years ago I think I'll wait to see where the first ball goes if England bowls first to see if it's worth staying up. Incidentally, the 86-7 series was, I think, the first to be broadcast live in the UK, in the pre-Sky days when the Beeb broadcast a 2-hr chunk after midnight. Gooch''s 1990 tour of the Windies was the first to get the full Sky ball-by-ball treatment (although not in the middle of the night here) with Boycott and Greig commentating.

My worst memory is spending a very cold Christmas in a windswept Great Yarmouth in 1990 with no access to TV listening to Gooch's side getting hammered on a tiny transistor radio I had bought from a souvenir shop that later (not surprisingly) fell apart.
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Mon 15 Nov 2010, 14:47

Henry wrote:Well?

Each day's play will start at around midnight British time. I assume Sky will be replaying each day's play in its entirety at a more appropriate hour?

Doubt it will be in its entirety. 2-3 hour highlight package probably throughout the day
spangler
spangler

Which English forummers will be watching the ashes live? 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jontyh Mon 15 Nov 2010, 14:48

More likely to be a case of watching the first hour or so, dragging myself off to bed then sneaking in another half hour in the morning before work, and highlights when I get back in.
Weekends will depend entirely on whether we're getting stuffed or not..
Jontyh
Jontyh

Number of posts : 2257
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 16 Nov 2010, 10:51

Allan D wrote:After the experience of four years ago I think I'll wait to see where the first ball goes if England bowls first to see if it's worth staying up. Incidentally, the 86-7 series was, I think, the first to be broadcast live in the UK, in the pre-Sky days when the Beeb broadcast a 2-hr chunk after midnight. Gooch''s 1990 tour of the Windies was the first to get the full Sky ball-by-ball treatment (although not in the middle of the night here) with Boycott and Greig commentating.

My worst memory is spending a very cold Christmas in a windswept Great Yarmouth in 1990 with no access to TV listening to Gooch's side getting hammered on a tiny transistor radio I had bought from a souvenir shop that later (not surprisingly) fell apart.

building standards in England must be sh!t* ...

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Tue 16 Nov 2010, 19:00

I usually watch a bit before bed abd get up and watch the end of play. I can't go to work knackered anymore, I'm too old.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Nov 2010, 18:45

I've booked the first 2 days of T1 and T3 off. Couldn't get T2 off as some bitch at work already has it, so I'll just have to sleep between work and the start.

Didn't book day 5 of T1 off as I'm not confident we will take it to 5 days!

Most of the rest of the playing days are weekend or forced xmas holiday.

People at work think I'm crazy for wasting holiday on this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 22 Nov 2010, 21:23

Ashes Survival Guide, from 'sleep therapist' Humphrey Klinkenberg:

What are the effects of sleep deprivation?

Principally, it slows down reaction times, makes you feel tetchy, frustrated and generally exhausted. This is because the brain has not rested, not had the required Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep, and, as such, there are stress chemicals moving around the body which can be cured only through a prolonged period of sleep.

What are the major health risks associated with sleep deprivation?

Constant and excessive lack of sleep can lead to heart problems, high blood pressure and even diabetes. If someone does an 'all-nighter' one day then it is imperative they get between eight and nine hours of sleep the following day; a failure to do so could lead to an instant deterioration in health. With regard to the Ashes, no one should attempt to stay awake throughout the full five days of any given Test; they must get some sleep in between, even if that means missing a day or more's play. If someone does want to watch consecutive days' play then they should take the afternoon off work, or even a whole day off work, and get some sleep before play begins that night.

What is the best way of managing sleep and staying awake?

Having a nap as soon as you get home from work is a good idea, although you should wake up at least one hour before play starts to ensure you are properly alert. Have a light meal when you do wake up and make sure it is not high in carbohydrates as that will make you feel sleepy. Instead, make the meal high in protein as that will do a better job of keeping you awake. If you get hungry during the night, when play has begun, continue to avoid carbohydrates and stick with high protein foods. Main foods to avoid: bread, chips, potatoes, doughnuts. Main foods to eat: chicken, beef, eggs, cheese, nuts.

What aids/supplements will help people stay awake and which should be avoided?
Replace the bulbs in the room where you are going to watch the Ashes with daylight bulbs which will make the room brighter and less an environment that encourages you to doze off. In that respect, it is also important to keep the room cool, which can be easily achieved by opening a window or having a fan turned on at a low setting. Do not get too comfortable, ie do not sit on a sofa where you may have previously fallen asleep. Sit on another one, or even a chair. It may also help to take notes during play, such as keeping track of the score, as this will keep the brain active and give you motivation to stay awake. Going for regular, short walks is also advisable. At all costs, avoid a large amount of caffeine as that will keep you awake, but once the effects wear off you will drop off suddenly and then feel very jittery in the morning. Alcohol should also be given a wide berth.

Any other tips?

Do not go straight to bed the day after an 'Ashes all-nighter' as a means of catching up on your sleep. There is nothing to suggest that people who sleep for 12 hours feel better or react better than people who sleep for eight or nine hours. In fact, people who sleep for 12 hours are more likely to feel more grumpy than those who get three or four hours less sleep. The body and brain needs a good night's sleep, not a long night's sleep.

What to do tomorrow

7.30am Start with a high-protein breakfast to provide energy for work and 'train' the brain to stay alert and awake for longer. Scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages are advisable

8am Walk to work if possible as this will also 'train' the brain

1pm Ensure your lunch is also made up of high-protein foods

6.30pm Take a nap as soon as you get back from work, but ensure you wake up at least one hour before play starts and have a high-protein dinner

11pm Go for a short walk as that will help get your body and brain active.

11.30pm Put daylight lamps on in the room and open a couple of windows

2am, 4.40am and 7am

Have a nap between sessions and one before getting ready for work

7.45am Take a vitamin B supplement alongside breakfast to reduce stress resulting from a lack of sleep

Humphrey Klinkenberg is a therapist at the Gloucester-based sleep clinic and consultancy, Sleepwise
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 22 Nov 2010, 23:08

It's a good thing I work nights. Roll on some late nights.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 23 Nov 2010, 01:40

They have sky sports in the brothel?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next